SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

How to PAINT your wood grain and REMOVAL

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-12, 05:24 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

We are awaiting the finished results.. Thanks for bumping the old thread. :-)
Old 06-23-12, 05:32 PM
MrCJ305
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
We are awaiting the finished results.. Thanks for bumping the old thread. :-)
No prob & will do
Old 06-23-12, 08:29 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Since this thread I have redone the interior in its entirely. Its all black now and the wood grain is piano black with five coats of clear.
Old 06-23-12, 08:39 PM
MrCJ305
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
Since this thread I have redone the interior in its entirely. Its all black now and the wood grain is piano black with five coats of clear.
Nice...dye or OEM pieces?
Old 06-23-12, 11:08 PM
drivesc300
Driver School Candidate

this will definately come in handy for me thanks
Old 07-21-12, 06:07 AM
BradT
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to write this up. I recently broke my driver's side door handle, and got stuck trying to remove the panel. For 20 minutes I struggled, then realized CL had the answer a quick search brought me to this thread and 10 minutes later the panel was off.

Once again, you guys have helped out. Thank you.
Old 07-21-12, 11:28 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Talking

Originally Posted by bradt
thanks for taking the time to write this up. I recently broke my driver's side door handle, and got stuck trying to remove the panel. For 20 minutes i struggled, then realized cl had the answer a quick search brought me to this thread and 10 minutes later the panel was off.

Once again, you guys have helped out. Thank you.
no problem man, glad you bumped my old thread
Old 04-21-14, 03:12 PM
Niragorak
Driver School Candidate

Default Just a side note.

Great write up man, a note for the newer models, the wood trim has m6x1 thread bolts that are 10mm head behind the trim. I personally went and bought wing nuts for ease of reassembly. I can't post pictures here but check out my profile to see how I decided to do my trim and a link to be able to DIY in an afternoon.
Old 04-21-14, 05:47 PM
czar07
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a black wood like effect using paint? Or is it possible to strip the woodtrim and stain it black?

How to PAINT your wood grain and REMOVAL-black-ash.jpg
Old 04-21-14, 10:04 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

^ i'm also interested in somehting like that
Old 05-20-14, 03:09 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
Next, There are 2 screws on the next bottom piece, on the bottom of the glove box, that need to be removed. After these are removed, you need to open up the glove box, and remove the 2 black plastic covers inside. You will need a small flat screwdriver or a very sharp knife. Then remove these 2 screws. Use a flat screwdriver and pry in between the wood and the inside of the glove box, ever so gently.. The glove box is slightly wedged under there. Once you get it loose, undo the plug in's. One is for the light, and the other is the sensor to activate the light once the door is open. Move this out of the way.
Is there anything else that could be holding the glove box in place? I've removed the two screws down at the kick panel and the two inside the glove box under the little square covers, and I've got the upper lip out from behind the wood trim. But, the center of it is still firmly anchored by something behind. Are there some super strong clips back there or something?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...nter-vent.html

That thread talks about disconnecting the airbag plugs at the top of the glove box, but I dropped that panel down and it isn't what's holding things in place ... lots of wiggle room in the wires.

I followed your advice in post #50 and JB Welded the heck out of a replacement center vent. I'll add some before and after pics once I've got the old one removed and everything put back together.
Old 05-20-14, 03:48 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

I found the culprit:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...glove-box.html

I don't have a clip like in post #4, but I had seen the plastic screw/plug thing (described in post #2) previously and figured it was just part of the latch assembly. It didn't look to have any structural purpose... Boy was I wrong! I had to use an angled screwdriver to get to it, as even my little stubby Phillips is too long to fit vertically in the glove box.

Once it was pried free, the glove box slid out super easy. I had put all my weight into the **** thing and it wouldn't budge. I pulled down on it hard enough to create a 3" gap around the top lip. I knew something had to be wrong there.

It would probably be worth updating the first post in this thread to reflect that and save some other people a headache in the future.
Old 05-20-14, 04:48 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

^^^ That would be a nice way of matching the wood to a woodgrain steering wheel.

I'm a bit stuck again...

Next, Remove the black plastic tubing, this held in by one screw. Its under the passenger side vent.

Next, Heres is where it gets a little aggravating.. You must feel inside the dash or behind the wood piece. There are 3 wing nuts that holds this in place.
1) It took me a while to figure out what black plastic tubing was being referred to. It finally dawned on me that you're talking about the big air duct. In order to remove it, I also had to remove the big metal tray below it (held in by four 10mm bolts). I don't know what removing the duct accomplishes, but I did it anyway...

2) I can't find the wing nuts. Any hints where to feel around for them? Are they directly behind the trim piece holding the center vents? Are they all toward the right of that wood trim, closest to the glove box? Are they metal or plastic? There's so little room there, I can't figure out what I'm looking for.

I ended up following steps #3-5 in this thread, as removing the airbag seemed like the only way to gain sufficient access:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...nter-vent.html

However, step #6 has me stumped. Too bad the 12 year old pictures are no longer up... Is there really a clip way over on the left of the center vents, closest to the steering wheel? Do you just pry it up with a screwdriver? And if so, how does that relate to the wing nuts in this thread? The two sets of instructions seem a bit contradictory.
Old 05-20-14, 05:09 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Okay, I got it free. Whew. There are no wing nuts anywhere to be found. Just the 10mm nut on the right side and the PITA clip on the left side. I completely shattered that clip in the process of removing it. I would not recommend attempting this unless you have a spare vent assembly to put in, which I do. Otherwise, there's a good chance you'll do much more harm than good.

Not surprisingly, the replacement vent has a broken off clip in that same place. The center vent is obviously made of very subpar plastic (good luck taking the front piece off the back piece without the tabs/clips breaking), and over the years it becomes so brittle that it can't possibly hold as strong as the big clip on the left does. Shame on you, Toyota.
Old 05-20-14, 05:12 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Find a 3M wood grain interior vinyl and wrap everything. You won't have to remove anything

Quick Reply: How to PAINT your wood grain and REMOVAL