SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Door Stuck!!!! need some advice asap...........

Old 12-29-10, 06:58 PM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Door Stuck!!!! need some advice asap...........

...so I just picked up a '97 SC300 yesterday and started working it today. the only thing wrong with it is that the passenger side door won't open from the inside, nor will it open from the outside. It locks/unlocks with no problem, but the door handles just wont work. Obviously, i need to remove the inside door pannel to access the cables/mechanism behind it to manually open the door.

my question is: Since i cannot remove the door panel because the damn door is shut and i cant access the screws to remove the pannel....i'm guessing i may have to break the exterior door handle off and try to open the door that way? Then i would just have to replace the door handle itself.

Any advice?

is it fairly easy to pry-off the exterior handle? I'm gonna try working on this again tomorrow, so please reply a.s.a.p. if you have any helpful info.

Thanks.....
Old 12-29-10, 07:09 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

surgury on the panel to jimmy it loose
Old 12-29-10, 07:34 PM
NEbiker10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take the inner panel off and check all over the handles and ****...sometimes the plastic connectors break...dont try to pry the exterior off
Old 12-29-10, 08:02 PM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NEbiker10
Take the inner panel off and check all over the handles and ****...sometimes the plastic connectors break...dont try to pry the exterior off

i cannot remove the door panel because the door is shut and i cant access the screws to remove the pannel without damaging it.

so far it looks like im'a have to remove the outside door handle, because its cheaper to replace a door handle than to replace a perfectly mint door panel.

can anyone else chime-in ?
Old 12-29-10, 09:16 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow... door handle is considerably cheaper than a panel.
looks like that's the way to go (heck, even a door shell can be cheaper than a panel)
recommend getting one, first, before you begin. that way you aren't left with a big 'ol hole in the side of your car.
Old 12-29-10, 09:34 PM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

yeh, looks like its do or die...so i guess i gotta remove that door handle.

any suggestions on whats the best approach to removing it causing the least damage to the door?
Old 12-29-10, 09:34 PM
VinnyMac
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this happen to me before when I first got my sc3.

I had just parked at a mall, turned the car off and went to open my door and it wouldn't open. I had a friend with me, so he got out and tried from outside. Didn't work. Locks were working, but apparently it wasn't unlocking all the way. I pushed that flippy unlock next to the inner door handle back and pulled at the same time and it opened.

Hope that made some sense? lol, didn't know how else to word that. Goodluck!
Old 12-30-10, 09:55 AM
EpikSc400
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

My driver door was stuck closed the same way your is. I was able, with patience of course, to get the panel out and reach in with a flat head screw driver and push that little lever down to pop the door open. Didn't cause any damage to the panel at all.
Old 12-30-10, 12:36 PM
musabbari
Driver School Candidate

door handle is cheaper, but will you be able to open the door if it is broken. I mean is the handle itself jammed or is there a fault in the door system itself
Old 12-31-10, 05:43 AM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EpikSc400
My driver door was stuck closed the same way your is. I was able, with patience of course, to get the panel out and reach in with a flat head screw driver and push that little lever down to pop the door open. Didn't cause any damage to the panel at all.
So you're saying you did not completely remove the door panel, correct?

Please explain in detail what exactly you did, because i may have to try that.
And once i have the flathead in there, i'm not sure exacty what to look for ..a lever? ..a wire?
Old 12-31-10, 07:29 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like the cable that connects to the door handles has worked it's way loose or is disconnected somehow.

Dunno if it'd help, but if you can gain access to the door guts (say via the exterior handle opening) I'd say to look for a cable (similar looking to throttle cables) and see if you could fish it out, essentially pulling the cable to unlock? Maybe?
Old 12-31-10, 07:34 AM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BLK13X
Sounds like the cable that connects to the door handles has worked it's way loose or is disconnected somehow.
yeah that's what i initially figured was wrong with it. it's just HOW to get access to that cable is what i need help with, lol
Old 12-31-10, 08:50 AM
KrazeMatik
Lexus Test Driver

you still can remove your inside door handles theres a black plastic piece that is the inside pry it up then remove the screw and check the cable?
Old 12-31-10, 10:50 AM
EpikSc400
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

I didn't really do anything specific lol. I just kept slowly undoing things until I could reach my arm down in there. Then I just took a long flat head screw driver and pushed down on the little locking lever to get the door open. I know that's a terrible explanation of what I did. I'll take some pics of the mechanism and show you what little lever to look for. If you push it down it will open the door regardless of it being locked or not.
That way you don't have to rip out your exterior door handle.
Old 01-04-11, 04:42 PM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EpikSc400
I didn't really do anything specific lol. I just kept slowly undoing things until I could reach my arm down in there. Then I just took a long flat head screw driver and pushed down on the little locking lever to get the door open. I know that's a terrible explanation of what I did. I'll take some pics of the mechanism and show you what little lever to look for. If you push it down it will open the door regardless of it being locked or not.
That way you don't have to rip out your exterior door handle.
i'm still interested in seeing the pics of that little lever you spoke of so i know exactly what to push..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Door Stuck!!!! need some advice asap...........