SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Hey all you '92-'94 year model owners...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-09, 12:47 AM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hey all you '92-'94 year model owners...

...What's up with the extreme dislike of having cornering lights on your car and the strong desire to modify 'em into fake foglights? Reason why I ask is, because, I've already had quite a few '92-'94 owners (mostly young kids) ask me how to "turn on" the foglights on their cars everytime they see my own '95 with my foglights turned on...And it just kills me to tell them that their cars don't have any...And with all these yoohus on this forum constantly inquiring about foglight conversions...I've been compelled to ask you '92-'94 guys..."What's so hot about having foglights over conering lights?" why not just live with the fact, that your car came equipped with cornering lights instead of foglights...I mean, cornering lights can't be that lame...can they?

So yeah, what are your personal reasons for ridding your pre '95 of cornering lights in favor of "fake" foglights?

Last edited by CrazySC300; 03-03-09 at 12:52 AM.
Old 03-03-09, 12:50 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

yes they are, they are lame...solution? pull the bulbs out and retrofit an HID system for the low beams for better illumination

fog lights are overplayed anyways

Last edited by Kaydee; 03-03-09 at 02:53 AM.
Old 03-03-09, 02:22 AM
aznxenon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

but you cant really illuminate jack with fog lights to be honest. it's just for style points.

it's just corner lights = less style points than fog lights, so by converting them to fog lights they get a lil more style points rofl.
Old 03-03-09, 02:45 AM
Ryeno
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LMAO. I actually thought you were joking.

Cornering lights suck for 2 reasons. First when you signal to turn, it looks like you have a burnt out fog light. And second is that jdm yellow fog lights are tight. But seriously not all cars have fog lights, so its nicer having fog lights then no fog lights. For the record coverting your cornering lights into fog lights is no faker then those fog light kits you buy at autozone.

Last edited by Ryeno; 03-03-09 at 02:49 AM.
Old 03-03-09, 06:50 AM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It looks better when they can stay on all the time. And making your car look better is one of the reasons why we mod our cars.
Old 03-03-09, 06:59 AM
Classified
Driver

I like the cornering lights on my '93. I understand the reasons to upgrade for functionality and style points, but I am a purist. I look at my vehicle as more of a time capsule. But to each there own, and that is why we have so many different great looking cars on this forum.
Old 03-03-09, 07:19 AM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Classified
I like the cornering lights on my '93. I understand the reasons to upgrade for functionality and style points, but I am a purist. I look at my vehicle as more of a time capsule. But to each there own, and that is why we have so many different great looking cars on this forum.
i'm in the same spot as this guy!
Old 03-03-09, 09:35 AM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

So yeah, what are your personal reasons for ridding your pre '95 of cornering lights in favor of "fake" foglights?
Because a '95 bumper is going on my '92 and the lights came with it so I figure I may as well wire up the fogs while I'm at it. Plus, I think you'll agree that a '95 front with a lip is the way to go.
Old 03-03-09, 10:02 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I cant comment...i removed them completly and put fogs in place of the turning lamps..not entirely my fault, and the lights that are there now look ugly and out of place..but in the end, i have better illumination at night, they have the "JDM TYTE YO!!" yellow light out put, and they will work till I do a 97+ conversion.
Old 03-03-09, 10:06 AM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

Because fog lights are used basically for fog and being able to light up the road in foggy conditions (if you use HIDs and not the standard bulbs which are pretty much useless in our cars) is alot useful than cornering lights. Seriously, how many cars have cornering lights? I like the idea of the road I'm turning to being lit up but I'd rather be able to see when there is fog.

EDIT: I kept my cornering lights until I did the 2k conversion.

Last edited by mr2tosc4; 03-03-09 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-03-09, 10:07 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

I kept mine as cornering lights until I did the 2k conversion because when you convert the cornering lights into fogs they serve no purpose as they project sideways and just blind people all the time. I found the cornering lights to be very helpful in areas where street lights are not used.
Old 03-03-09, 10:09 AM
v-empire
Driver

it a simple 2 wire job and a switch and some new bulbs if you really are going to make the effort...hah
Old 03-03-09, 10:11 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

turning lamps remind me of early model Lincoln's and Caddilac's..
Old 03-03-09, 12:45 PM
OMD
Pole Position

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
I kept mine as cornering lights until I did the 2k conversion because when you convert the cornering lights into fogs they serve no purpose as they project sideways and just blind people all the time. I found the cornering lights to be very helpful in areas where street lights are not used.
was thinking the same thing... i guess its more for the look than functionality..
Old 03-03-09, 02:23 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Originally Posted by mr2tosc4
Because fog lights are used basically for fog and being able to light up the road in foggy conditions
As much as i like the scientific explanation of having lights placed lower and using yellow light, in the real world low beams work better then fog lights during fog.
Originally Posted by mr2tosc4
(if you use HIDs and not the standard bulbs which are pretty much useless in our cars) .
HIDs are actually worse in the fog then halogen bulbs.
Originally Posted by turbodremz
I cant comment...i removed them completly and put fogs in place of the turning lamps..not entirely my fault, and the lights that are there now look ugly and out of place..but in the end, i have better illumination at night, they have the "JDM TYTE YO!!" yellow light out put, and they will work till I do a 97+ conversion.
Why would you do that? 4300k hids provide way more then enough light at night. Not to mention you could modify a 9005/6 bulb to fit into the stock slot with a dremel.
Originally Posted by O. L. T.
just blind people all the time.
Unless you change out the bulb, the stock cornering light bulbs arent bright enough to blind people. I actually wish my lights were brighter.

Quick Reply: Hey all you '92-'94 year model owners...