Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Project nextlevelcoupe 95 to 98 v8 transformation/restoration!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-09, 11:20 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Great Project and post. A couple of Q's ?

1. How come you had " aftermarket " engine wiring Harness ?

2. I'm thinking about doing this swap on my 99 with the 430 motor and trans, but stroking the 430 motor 1st. Did you think about doing the 430 swap before you did this ? Wish you had so you could have figured out all the problems for me.
Old 01-28-09, 01:06 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The late model SC400 engine is nice, especially with the VVTI heads. With a standalone ECU such as AEM, headers, exhaust, and you'll look to gain at least another 50 rwhp. I sat on a nearly 200K miles 95 SC400 with the above added parts and the owner tuned it and gained around 50 rwhp on a Dynojet. The car's performance and powerband were very impressive. It felt like the LS 430.

If you're interested in tuning with the AEM ECU, let me know and I'll give you the contact. He could fly over there if you guys can work out a deal. He's the pro tuner and worked for AEM and I'm sure he could tune the VVTI as well.

If you're looking to boost the late SC400, don't go over 8 psi. I'd say 9 psi is the boundary. The rods are skinny and can't take too much beating. But 8 psi will bring your car to 450 bhp along with monster tq at low end.
Old 01-28-09, 09:32 AM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

StiCk3: The install was bolt on. I used everything from a 98(engine,harness,all components)..it wasn't easy to remove everything and replace with all 98' parts. As for power, i will do some research..not looking for huge gains though..an additional 100hp wouldn't hurt any..

Red Phoenix/Kyoso23: Thanx for the clarification Red. I went for 5sp Auto for exactly that reason. Kyoso: if interested i suggest acquiring a crashed 98 so you can get everything needed..prices vary,but contact ALIGA,(he is the mastermind behind the parts). I would place a range of $1k to $3k depending on shape of car,unless you find a part-out,which would probably yield a lesser price.

Lexozz: My man,call you in a few,thanx for the pic!..as for the race,whenever you feelin' froggy bro

D2Autosport: What up Derrick? You remember that night...hilarious! Hey,your partially to blame for some of these brainstorms..remember i used to say crazy things like:"i would never change my stock wheels,radio,etc?"..Yeah, i was delusional,but now i have to carry the dementia further! No r2d2 dash in the works though...lol thanx for helping to wake up the inner madman!..call you soon (hhmmm..new rims?)

Jgscott: (1). aftermarket harness was not for engine,it was for radio,alarm,everything but stock equipment.I had others do the installs over the years and it was a wiring nightmare. I will now start over with an untampered 98' wire harness,make my custom wireharness for all future plug and play installs for radios,alarms,whatever equipment i want and plug into stock harness...true plug and play to keep everything neat and composed.
(2). I gave it thought but,good luck finding a crashed sc,gs,ls430 for cheap.I chose this drivetrain not only because it was cost effective,but it also belongs in my 95 chassis(92-00 same) so,it was the best choice for me...no guesswork that things would fit. For the most part,it was all bolt on..i would love to see that 430 project happen though. It might not be much of a stretch from your 99 to 430 motor to get it to work. My 95 to this 99 was a night and day difference...everything had to change..

Stevechumo: Hey Steve, thanx much for that boost/non-boost info..I'm definitely interested. When the time comes for those performance mods,I will do the research and contact you for these and more possible options and take it from there...I'm very excited to know that there options for this vvti motor!!

Thanks to all for the vote of support on this project! Its, good to see feedback from all new and old members alike....feels good to be back in the swing of things!

Last edited by nextlevelcoupe; 09-18-09 at 07:37 PM. Reason: correction
Old 01-28-09, 09:55 AM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

typing all this from my pda...post more pics when i get to my desktop...i received an unexpected surprise mod today!!

Last edited by nextlevelcoupe; 01-28-09 at 02:13 PM. Reason: correction
Old 01-28-09, 10:55 AM
MEANDAFAKA
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep it up, oh and keep us update.
Old 01-28-09, 07:41 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Here is an "aerial" shot of the new engine... to the left of motor at the top, those 2 silver components are for the trac/abs. I will remove these tomorrow and begin to install the 98 trac/abs unit which they have consolidated into one unit,now the real fun begins...i'm trying to find a way to use the current hydraulic brake lines...if not, i will have to replace them with the 98 brake lines,(which i have and is a b***h to install)but like i stated before....it is involved!!

Old 01-28-09, 07:53 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

I went by the shop and got a special surprise.... a 00' gs 3 spoke steering wheel to go along with the project! it's the wrong color, but nothing i cant fix! it seems like a crashed gs was discarded recently and the steering wheel "ended" up in my car(working on making it permanent) can't complain though time to look for an airbag....

Old 01-29-09, 06:45 AM
KORUPT8D
Rookie

Now whats the primary difference between a 99 sc400 and a 95 sc400. Aside from the VVTI engine , and a different differential if im not mistaken. Why do you consider it to be a better engine?
Old 01-29-09, 08:35 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Deron, had to log-on just to congratulate you on your progress. I know it's been a long road for you and I am glad you stuck with it. I'll have to catch up to you this summer and get a ride. Good luck with the rest

gadgetSC
Old 01-29-09, 09:52 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

No wonder its snowing so much. Gadget and Nextlevel have resurfaced!
Old 01-29-09, 01:46 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This '98 SC4 swap is kind of rare, so it'll be fun.
Old 01-30-09, 06:39 AM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stevechumo
This '98 SC4 swap is kind of rare, so it'll be fun.
Oh its a lot of fun. Going from 260HP to 300HP stock is a big difference. To some it may not, but to the average Joe like myself you'll love it. Deron trust me the day you drive that SC out of the shop you will not regret the swap.
Old 01-30-09, 11:51 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
No wonder its snowing so much. Gadget and Nextlevel have resurfaced!
Hey D, how have you been? It's spring here

gadgetSC
Old 01-30-09, 04:46 PM
La Lex
Rookie

Looking good! Are you doing your mods by yourself or is someone in a local garage giving you a hand
Old 02-08-09, 05:16 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

GadgetSc: Hey Gadget! long time no talk to/see my man...thanks for the support,it has been a very long time coming but i'm finally getting things to where I want them now. I really hope it will be 100% by summer so i can hand you the keys, but let me keep hope alive bro

La Lex:I do have help from my mechanic.To date, I did all the electrical-removal and replacement of 95 wiring with 98 harness and all ecu's,removed all aftermarket gizmos and related wiring,removal of full interior. He did all the mechanical so far but to my credit, I will more than likely tackle the abs pump and air bag systems myself. The airbags system is still from 95 and will be integrated into the 98 wiring. I had to do this airbag retrofit because the black interior/dash i received is from a 95-the 98 airbags are placed differently than the 95 and the cost to change the airbags if i did have a 98 dash would be way to expensive!

Last edited by nextlevelcoupe; 02-08-09 at 06:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Project nextlevelcoupe 95 to 98 v8 transformation/restoration!!