SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Leatherique+++Seats repaired and redyed

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-09, 03:12 PM
8th sin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any interior repair guy(most high end dealerships have or know one) can do the same thing for half or less and have it done in less than an hour or two. Just a FYI
Old 01-21-09, 03:15 PM
Spitfire86
Pole Position

I did this before too, the dye hold up pretty good. However, the creases and cracked areas start to flake after a while. The leather strip you put in to cover the tear will come lose too.

I eventually bought new leather skins and put them on, but this was a good temporary solution. My leather was just too worn to be salvaged by some conditioner and dye.

Good job on your work though! Hopefully your seats work out for you
Old 01-21-09, 04:09 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

wow. I think I'm going to try this. But of course my last resort is seat covers.
Old 01-21-09, 04:16 PM
Mr.412
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spitfire86
I did this before too, the dye hold up pretty good. However, the creases and cracked areas start to flake after a while. The leather strip you put in to cover the tear will come lose too.

I eventually bought new leather skins and put them on, but this was a good temporary solution. My leather was just too worn to be salvaged by some conditioner and dye.

how long did it hold up with the seats being in such poor condition?
becuase my seats are in bad shape and I know a guy that will come out and do this for about 175.00 but i don't want to pay him if they will need replace quickly any way
Old 01-21-09, 04:30 PM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah that Leatherique is a great company and they sell very high quality leather care products. The rejuvenating products are great. You will love how your leather looks/feels.
Old 01-21-09, 04:34 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 8th sin
Any interior repair guy(most high end dealerships have or know one) can do the same thing for half or less and have it done in less than an hour or two. Just a FYI
So let me get this straight i paid 130 for all the products for one car and that includes the steering wheel kit with clear coat, so what youre saying is interior repair guy will redye all my seats fix all my cracks and fix and redye my steering wheel for less then 65 bucks? You must be smoking some good stuff.
Do your research i certanly have leatherique has been in buisnes since 1960s, they started off with doing rolls roys interiors and eventually ended up doing stuff for all the high end cars, ferrari, porsche, maseratti. Do me a favor and do a search before you try to compare a cheap service from out of a van service to comes to dealerships and does this type of touch up stuff before the car is sold so it looks better to a high end product that many HIGH dollar proffesionals use on mostly high end cars that i listed above.
Old 01-21-09, 04:51 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Spitfire86

Did you try this praticular product? I can see where stuff would come off if you dont pay attention to prep, i had one spot that where the leather was folded over under that i did not prep that well, it started doing exactly what you describe i sanded it back down and made sure i cleaned very well and its holding up fine i know its only been a week but i can almost guarantee that if you use clear coat on top of this stuff its not going anywhere.
Old 01-21-09, 04:54 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

leatherique.com btw is the site for automotive theres lots of pictures on bmws,aston martin,lexus and mercedes leather that was redone and redyed, customer testemonials and as well as tips on how to apply and treat your leather. These people are super friendly and their product is top notch, its also the most expensive but you get what you pay for.
Old 01-21-09, 05:03 PM
Mr.412
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MDSC
So let me get this straight i paid 130 for all the products for one car and that includes the steering wheel kit with clear coat, so what youre saying is interior repair guy will redye all my seats fix all my cracks and fix and redye my steering wheel for less then 65 bucks? You must be smoking some good stuff.
Do your research i certanly have leatherique has been in buisnes since 1960s, they started off with doing rolls roys interiors and eventually ended up doing stuff for all the high end cars, ferrari, porsche, maseratti. Do me a favor and do a search before you try to compare a cheap service from out of a van service to comes to dealerships and does this type of touch up stuff before the car is sold so it looks better to a high end product that many HIGH dollar proffesionals use on mostly high end cars that i listed above.

Did you try this praticular product? I can see where stuff would come off if you dont pay attention to prep, i had one spot that where the leather was folded over under that i did not prep that well, it started doing exactly what you describe i sanded it back down and made sure i cleaned very well and its holding up fine i know its only been a week but i can almost guarantee that if you use clear coat on top of this stuff its not going anywhere.

You’re starting to sound like you work them rather a consumer who found a great product, I mean why are you so defensive about a product that you have only had in use for a week?
Old 01-21-09, 05:10 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr.412

You’re starting to sound like you work them rather a consumer who found a great product, I mean why are you so defensive about a product that you have only had in use for a week?
LOL maybe cuz i spend 3 days of my life doing this, and also have been resarching this for a while. A friend of mine showed this to me a while ago and said "hey you should do this to your car" There was a thread on M3 board a while ago when a guy did his e36 seats, after i saw the pictures i was blown away but wasnt sold. I started reasarching and reading and everytime i got in my car i thought man i love this thing but these seats look horrible. Do i really want to spend 700 bucks on new leather skins and then have to pay somone a few hundred to install them or attempt this myself. Well i'm a "do it yourself" kinda guys so i finally decided to to get a kit for both cars mine and my G/Fs and fix them both. It truly is an amazing product but i would not recommend just anyone to do this it is a major PITA
Old 01-21-09, 05:14 PM
Mr.412
Lead Lap

LOL maybe cuz i spend 3 days of my life doing this, and also have been resarching this for a while. A friend of mine showed this to me a while ago and said "hey you should do this to your car" There was a thread on M3 board a while ago when a guy did his e36 seats, after i saw the pictures i was blown away but wasnt sold. I started reasarching and reading and everytime i got in my car i thought man i love this thing but these seats look horrible. Do i really want to spend 700 bucks on new leather skins and then have to pay somone a few hundred to install them or attempt this myself. Well i'm a "do it yourself" kinda guys so i finally decided to to get a kit for both cars mine and my G/Fs and fix them both. It truly is an amazing product but i would not recommend just anyone to do this it is a major PITA
good answer I respect the hard work

maybe I'll add this to my mod list
Old 01-21-09, 05:23 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr.412
good answer I respect the hard work

maybe I'll add this to my mod list
I own an autorepair buisness in Maryland and like i said before to a member on here or anyone for that matter that lives near by is welcome to come by the shop and check out my or my G/fs car and see it for themselfs. I must say i didnt do the best of the job on my SC, its turned out really well but i know i can do better and i will on the GS. IF you need any pointers if you decide to do yours shoot me a pm i'll be glad to help out. Main thing i made a mistake on was when i inserted the piece of leather to repair the tears in my driver seat i used the wrong glue"youre soposed to use lether glue" i think 3M stuff for carpet will work well also as it dosent get rock hard. In my case that is what happend so when you push on the spots that had tears it feels like theres plastic behind there. Oh well live and learn i guess my fault for not following directions.
Old 01-21-09, 09:55 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can vouch for Leatherique...There is simply nothing else like it on the market. They use only 100% natural oils, no synthetics. Really top of the line. It definitely is the most expensive, but it is the best. Your leather looks practically new...It is true, you always get what you pay for.

Most of the guys that repair leather at the dealers simply paint them over with a special dye that will wear off over time...

Ryan
Old 01-21-09, 10:34 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,257 Likes on 998 Posts

I've been wanting to tell people who had badly wore out seats about this process a long time. There are many diffrent products out there that can do leather seats. It depends on the product and the skills the person uses to put them on. The cleaner are to give it a fresh coat of lether skin so that the products can stick tio the seats.

Just about every luxury car dealer has a service that does this on their used cars. Some are better than others. Honestly at most on the best product it only gonna last about a year at most with in and out siting on the seats. But it's better than some of those seats look without. In a year you can redo it again.

I used it on cars before but I also sprayed Scotchbrite Leather sealer waterproofer on it after finishing them. Do this about 3 or 4 times before you sit in them again and it makes it last a little longer.
Old 01-22-09, 11:35 AM
Mr.412
Lead Lap

so this will last about a year with daily use?

Quick Reply: Leatherique+++Seats repaired and redyed