SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Alternator wine with new radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-09, 11:36 AM
BAD BRIAN
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator wine with new radio

Sup guys, wanted to share a stupid problem I'm having with my new in dash dvd radio I just purchased.

Basically when the radio is powered up I can hear a wining noise coming from all my speakers thats RPM dependent. At redline it's pretty much screeching. Anyways I installed the stock radio back in and it goes away, no problems.

I heard the phrase "alternator wine" that describes my problem but don't know were to start, I have about zero experience with car audio haha.

The radio was used and came out of another SC3 so it was plug and play when I got my hands on it, the whole sound system on my car is factory by the way. Can anyone shed some light???
Old 01-01-09, 11:40 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

almost always attributable to a weak ground... I had to run a second chassis ground in my car to get rid of the same type of alternator whine... basically, what you need to do is clip the ground from the back of the unit and run a heavier gauge wire to something that has chassis ground to it behind the dash - if I recall, there are a few pretty significantly sized bolts that bolt into the cross bar behind the dash - one of those would be perfect...
Old 01-01-09, 11:47 AM
BAD BRIAN
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply Mitsu,

So basically what your saying is cut the ground wire behind the head unit and splice a heavier gauge wire to it, then just ground that to chassis completely disregarding the ground wire coming from the stock white plug?
Old 01-01-09, 12:02 PM
jgdynamics
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

yup, thats whut he said... and ive had that problem in my bmw, and it worked just fine
Old 01-01-09, 12:28 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

you got it... fixes about 98.5% of head unit related engine whine issues... add in amps and such and it becomes a little more complex, but your system is quite simple, so, try it and report back...
Old 01-01-09, 01:43 PM
BAD BRIAN
Driver School Candidate

Okay I did that but it just reduced it slightly when the key was switched to "ON" but still significant when the motor is actually running. I didn't ground it to the bar you said though, not exactly sure how to get to it just yet, still new to SC's.
Old 01-01-09, 02:11 PM
twong82
Driver

You can also try using some ground loop isolators. I had the same problem before and grounded everything including the RCA plugs for the speakers but there still was a little of the alternator whine left. Eventually I tried the isolators and it got rid of what was left of it. You can get the ground loop isolators anywhere such as Best Buy or cheaper online.
Old 01-01-09, 04:58 PM
BAD BRIAN
Driver School Candidate

Nice Twong, you were right on the money. I bought some ground loop isolators and presto. Thanks bro, and thank you everyone for helping me out with this really appreciate it a lot