SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Who else drives their SC in the SNOW?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-11, 07:24 PM
Li Ls4
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i do since its my only car, definitely fun and easy to kick it side ways and do a nice power slide haha
Old 02-02-11, 07:50 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by ogopogo
We are having a little ice problem here in Dallas this week. I drive a '96 SC400 (no traction control) on stock size Yoko AS530's with good tread. I can't get enough traction to even make it over the speed bumps in my parking lot. It just sits there and spins the tires, even at idle.

I'm considering adding a few 50 pound bags of sand to the trunk. Anyone have any thoughts if that will help and how many I should try?
Hey, where in Dallas are you?
Old 02-02-11, 08:28 PM
Brendon
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ogopogo
We are having a little ice problem here in Dallas this week. I drive a '96 SC400 (no traction control) on stock size Yoko AS530's with good tread. I can't get enough traction to even make it over the speed bumps in my parking lot. It just sits there and spins the tires, even at idle.

I'm considering adding a few 50 pound bags of sand to the trunk. Anyone have any thoughts if that will help and how many I should try?
Weight in the trunk will only go so far; its a trade off. While the weight helps you get moving from a stop, you sacrifice a lot of driving ability. Braking takes longer, and the tail end is more prone to kicking out in a turn since it can act like a pendulum. Contrary to what you might read online, the sandbag trick should generally be used only as a last resort tactic. Take it from someone who's driven in New England winters their whole life. My parents live at the bottom of a hill with only a small stretch of driveway to get a running start. Its happened before where in a snowstorm, I don't get enough traction to get my car moving fast enough to climb the hill. I use the sandbag trick, as well as deflating my tires. This improves things vastly, but this is the only time I do this. To someone not experienced in winter driving, I highly advise not trying this.

The trick to getting over speed bumps is to get a running start and keep the momentum going. If the ice is so solid that you can't even get your car moving from a stop, nothing will help unless you're willing to go to studded tires. Take it from me; I drive my SC with Bridgestone Blizzak WS-series tires which are pretty much the best possible winter tires you can get without going to studs. Just last winter I got stuck at a friend's house because their driveway iced over. The problem is with ice, its solid so you need to be able to bite into the ice to get a grip.
Old 02-02-11, 08:45 PM
DFab
Driver School Candidate

Its my first winter with my sc and its been a real winter here in Ky. More snow this year than we have had in two or three years. I have pretty crappy all seasons that came on it and it does pretty good. Could definitely use some snow tires. I agree about the LSD. I had a turbo civic that i drove through last winter and got limited slip about half way through and it made a huge difference. I have a friend with a mustang gt that, before be bought some snow tires he couldn't go anywhere if it snowed more than 1 inch. Now he said he can drive in whatever and even start on hills.
Old 02-02-11, 10:27 PM
ScBouncE
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I live in Central Jersey and boy has it been hecktick this year with snow storm after snow storm. my SC300 hasnt failed me yet. I jus put brand new all season tires on in November so that prolly has something to do with it
Old 02-02-11, 11:41 PM
NEbiker10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drive my 94 sc300 every day here in Boston and everyone knows how much snow we are getting, every other day its like 10 inches. I have two blizzaks up front and two winterforce one the rear (1 size up so i dont get stuck in snowbanks) I also throw a 60lb tube sand in the trunk when it snows. I drift the otta it every where....its a blast and with the snows the sand and my type r sub in the back its extremely controllable. Just go into a parking and practice when there is 2 inches or so, it will save your life if you do plan on snow driving.
Old 02-03-11, 12:03 AM
3JS
Driver School Candidate

I did for the first time...in El Paso of all places!
I just got to say it...this car is a BEAST!!!!
Old 02-04-11, 11:55 AM
ogopogo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Hey, where in Dallas are you?
I'm in North Dallas near the Tollway and Bush.

I have been rolling around with 240 pounds of concrete in my trunk for the last couple days (Home Depot was out of sand). My stock suspension SC rides like a vegetable truck now. Much better traction up inclines and over bumps, but the back end will slide out if I even look at it funny. Big trade off, but I figure it beats getting stuck at the bottom of a hill somewhere.

I must say though, it sits a lot nicer with the 3 inch drop in the rear... maybe i should add another 240 pounds to the front. Just joking.
Old 02-04-11, 02:15 PM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I pulled off the front bumper and vertex lip and drove in the ice yesterday and snow today here in DFW. Its nothing like up north, but I have 3 inches of ground clearance, no LSD, and too much power.
Old 02-04-11, 02:25 PM
FatBrian81
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I feel sorry for all you guys that have to drive your sc in the snow. With my job I have to get there no matter what the weather so I always keep a 4x4 in the stable to keep me from having to drive my nice cars in sucky conditions.

Old 10-05-11, 05:08 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Was searching for Welded Diff, and I came here.

Maine Winter driver here. Only thing worse is Vermont, or Russia.

I am welding the Diff and driving on All seasons. It makes a Man out of you, and teaches Instinctive driving like no instructor can.

^I feel bad for whoever has to Operate that barge no matter what the weather, which can't be too, too bad since it's only NC and you guys barely get snow ever.
Old 10-05-11, 11:13 AM
soardrft
Lead Lap

I drive in the snow to go snow boarding in cali. Lowered and kitted fun times as long as you drive slow or learn throttle control.
Old 10-05-11, 01:32 PM
MKIVS374
Lead Lap

1JZ in the snow oh yeah
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zd5yzQu2ic
Old 10-05-11, 01:35 PM
MKIVS374
Lead Lap

This does not make you a man. This will only make you a man holding a bus ticket to work thats all when you drive into the first thing you see. I have a hard time driving in regular summer cond with a welded diff.

Your crazy and or stupid sir!

Originally Posted by spoolxexo
Was searching for Welded Diff, and I came here.

Maine Winter driver here. Only thing worse is Vermont, or Russia.

I am welding the Diff and driving on All seasons. It makes a Man out of you, and teaches Instinctive driving like no instructor can.

^I feel bad for whoever has to Operate that barge no matter what the weather, which can't be too, too bad since it's only NC and you guys barely get snow ever.
Old 10-05-11, 02:29 PM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh that's cute, you live in VA and have never seen snow in your life. We get 5-6 storms that drop a Foot or more each year.

That's cool, come up here to Team O'neil in VT and learn how to drive in the Snow. Best Driving school in the World for car control, arguably.

For the rest of us NewEnglanders, it's just another day at the office. Don't be scared!

Quick Reply: Who else drives their SC in the SNOW?