SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

DIY: wooden shift knob

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-08, 01:16 PM
SCjzz
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jewcano
The door trim and shifter color are almost identical. However I do agree that the shifter boot is too close to the actual ****. Lower it a bit and it should look alot better.
i do plan on doing this, except i am making a completely different ****. i am going to the local carpentry store or even a home depot to pick up some better quality wood. and im going to make a template of a shifter i like and copy it. thanks for your interest through this diy

Originally Posted by djyoshi626
i think this is very well done, but you already got most of it down, the 2nd and 3rd one, if you make them will be much better made! Good job!
yes there will be a 2nd AND a 3rd shift ****. i am buying some oak today so that i can get some better quality stuff for me and hopefully some of you guys.

Originally Posted by jpvarghese
Well for one I want to applaud your effort. I would however done a better job shaping that ****. It looks uneven in places. The wood choice is poor as well as the staining.
harsh man. lol no sweat, thanks for the input, it is my first attempt at wood shaping and i can probably do better. the staining isnt too much my fault, but the poor absorbent quality of the pine. it sucks everything through the top and bottom. im trying oak this time.

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
i think the shift boot is too close to the shifter ****. would be sick if the **** u made resembled a 98+ shifter.
the shift boot seems to be a bit of a problem. im going to attach a metal top piece to it so it separates itself from the shifter. i just covered it because it was scratched on the inside (the black paint was chipped/scratched.)

do you have a pic of the 98 shifter? if you guys like it i may consider making a few, maybe for me as well

IM going for the dip clear coat instead next time because this clear coat kinda bubbled up on me, it is toast. so if you guys are interested in the next one i do, keep an eye out for it
Old 09-23-08, 08:01 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Jeslet's car..
Old 09-24-08, 03:16 PM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SCjzz
harsh man. lol no sweat, thanks for the input, it is my first attempt at wood shaping and i can probably do better. the staining isnt too much my fault, but the poor absorbent quality of the pine. it sucks everything through the top and bottom. im trying oak this time.
its called tough love bro! You can't expect world class results the first time around doing anything can ya? I can't wait to see another one though!
Old 09-25-08, 06:09 AM
SCjzz
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jpvarghese
its called tough love bro! You can't expect world class results the first time around doing anything can ya? I can't wait to see another one though!

i kno. hopefully this time around it works a ****load better. the clearcoat started bubbling up on me so i gotta do it over.

im making an ebrake too so my ebrake looks like jeslets LOL
Old 08-19-11, 01:13 AM
snaps
Driver School Candidate

I'm doing something similar with a nine ball that a friend found. Don't know if i'll like the end product but it was the best use I could think of for a single pool ball.
Old 08-19-11, 02:05 AM
fantastic1
Rookie

Hello splinter! lol oh and also what if it breaks?
Old 08-19-11, 02:25 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by snaps
I'm doing something similar with a nine ball that a friend found. Don't know if i'll like the end product but it was the best use I could think of for a single pool ball.
Originally Posted by fantastic1
Hello splinter! lol oh and also what if it breaks?
why the hell did you bump this thread?