SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Throwing "Rice"

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-02, 03:14 PM
hoops_24
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throwing "Rice"

Is it just me or is the term "ricer" offensive to Asians. The term is used very loosely on the forum and I for one think it's inappropriate. I have even read moderators using the term.
We all drive some classy automobiles so let's show a little personal class also.

In the aftermath of 9-11 we should all be thankful for the melting pot that is America.
Old 02-07-02, 04:28 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Throwing "Rice"

Originally posted by hoops_24
Is it just me or is the term "ricer" offensive to Asians. The term is used very loosely on the forum and I for one think it's inappropriate. I have even read moderators using the term.
We all drive some classy automobiles so let's show a little personal class also.

In the aftermath of 9-11 we should all be thankful for the melting pot that is America.
I have *never* used the term "ricer" as a racial slur, I use it as a grouping slur. I guess back in the 60's it may have been used as a racial slur...but the meaning has greatly changed. It refers to people who take a car (ANY car), throw a wing, bodykit, rims, and stickers on it....and think its faster.

And there's 1000 websites that are based upon this too...lol

SR
Old 02-07-02, 05:34 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree w/ computrwiz. RICER is a term that is applied to people how make their car slower (but think they r making it faster) and it doesn't matter where your car (or u for that matter) were made.
Old 02-07-02, 06:19 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

hoops_24 must be in a delusion zone, like Oberlin, Berkeley or most of Europe
As far as I'm concerned, that's excess political correctness, which I find extremely offensive. Watch your mail for my letter from Gloria Allred!
I think Fast & Furious was anti asian... most of the bad guys were asians like Johnny Tran... and in the movie they didn't have many asians at all.
Old 02-07-02, 06:19 PM
rhart00
Pole Position

I think they are called "ricers" because many (not all) of the cars that people make look like race cars (wings, stickers, body kits, lowering, rims, etc.) but don't do any performance to back up the the race car looks (all show and no go) are made by japanese compainies. It has nothing to do with japanese people because people from all different ethnicities do this.
Old 02-07-02, 06:40 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

An addendum here: the "Melting Pot" is what America WAS before the leftist influence tried to separate everyone. Instead of being an American everyone's a hyphenated American. You know John Walker? I remember that guy, he lived here in Marin. If you look at his e-mails he sent to his parents, what he said in them could have been said by any far-left liberal nut... I'd expect that kind of talk from Farrakhan or Jesse Jackson.
Old 02-08-02, 12:35 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like Cmputrwiz said, "RICER" isn't a racial slur...the only people that get offended are the RICERS themselves...hehehhe
Old 02-08-02, 04:45 AM
'S'Low Rider
Driver

Wink Europe.....

So Mad Max who's being offensive to 'most of Europe' by claiming we're in a delusion zone........are you a "EuroRacist"????????

What have we ever done to you!!!!! Apart from involve your country in two world wars and several other nasty conflicts in the last century........

Where would you be now if the ancient nations of Europe hadn't influenced your nation with such iconic cultural gems like the 'Hamburger'........

You'll be blaming Europe for 'fascism' next.......

Europe, delusional, I think not........

Old 02-08-02, 04:57 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The term "ricer" has ABSOUTLY NOTHING TO DO WITH RACE- its just an adjective. It bothers me, like MadMax, that people even bring it up. Political correctness has just gone waaaayyyy too far now a days! Ricer is a term to describe ANY individual, reguardless of race, who feebely attempts to make the car LOOK like a race car. Though they have no real clue as to what they are doing. How many hondas actually are sponsered by all those manufacturers' decals they put on their car. Hell, look at the oversized rear wing they put on a front wheel drive car - That alone is worth laughing at. I've even seen a New honda with BOTH a "Weber" and "Holley" sticker on it. First off, 99.99999999% chance it still has a FI intake. Secondly, I doubt it has 2 different carbs on it to constitute two different decals. Wait a minute - My bad - they have the Holley fuel pump and quad Weber down draft's packed to the V-10 under the hood. Soory, my mistake.

Calling the term "Ricer" offensive is just about whacked as a brother getting pissed off at a car getting called "Ghetto". They are merely was to descrive a CAR, not person. I believe the term originally came from the fact that Japanese cars were some of the first to start this redicuolus trend (though humerous I might add). Now even domestics are called ricers.

Do you find the term "Rice rocket" offensive when talking about motorcycles......didn't think so. Do you think feminists get offended when those motorcycles are called "Crotch Rockets"....didn't think so either, so why get bent out of shape ovever the term "Ricer"?

There are several web pages that are designed to educate the public on the "Rice Boy" syndrome......and again thats just a term for it.....women are allowed in as well .

Keith
Old 02-08-02, 06:19 AM
redjeeper
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have to agree, RICER is not meant as a racial slur. I am sorry if it offends you, but it is not intended to. Everyone knows that it is meant for people that put a bunch of trash on a car to supposedly make it look faster. That alone is worth a good laugh, but back to the point. Racism is an ugly thing and I don't think we allow that kind of person on this board. We are all Americans first. Let's remember that. The events of 911 efeected all of us and we need to remeber that. I guess I'll get off of my soapbox now.

Redjeeper takes a bow and clears the stage.
Old 02-08-02, 06:38 AM
'S'Low Rider
Driver

Angry We are all Americans.....

"We are all Americans first. Let's remember that."
Redjeeper

I think that the rest of the world just might disagree..........

We're all members of the human race first.........
Old 02-08-02, 06:46 AM
ForNgoods
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm asian and i'm not offended. Actually i think it's quite funny. Oh well jus my 2cents.
Old 02-08-02, 06:48 AM
hoops_24
Pole Position

Maybe I wasn't clear. One, I'm not Asian and I'm not personally offended. I just think the term can be and is offensive to Asians. We can talk about wings and body kits all we want, but the term is referring to Asian folks that slam their Hondas.

Mad Max, you are the only person that was unable to respond with any kind of sense or tact. To me you are the type that uses the term in an offensive matter based on your pre-school level response.

Peace
Old 02-08-02, 07:39 AM
redjeeper
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Low Rider, your right, I digress. We are all humans first. God, I love this forum. At least we are dignified here, you guys should look at the chaos at supraforums.
Old 02-08-02, 08:20 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the term 'ricer' stemmed from 'riceboy'

Which a riceboy in the original days, was when a kid that had some kind of small subcompact (that the Japanese are so popular for producing, yet there are plenty of american, and other country varieties). Its expanded to trucks and SUVs, etc...

If you find it offensive then leave. Its not meant as a racial slur EVER; so if you take it that way; its your own damn fault. Every website I have ever seen, and every person I have ever heard say it; has said again and again; that its not a racial slur.

I find it humorous and offensive at the same time that some idealisitc newbie can come on here and think he/she knows better than others that have been in the game for a long time and know why some words and mannerisms are in place.

Quick Reply: Throwing "Rice"