SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC300 with moonroof or sunroof??

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-08, 03:36 PM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will have to agree with O.L.T on this one .They can both be opened but sunroofs are made of glass while the moonroofs are all metal. 80 percent of the population think sunroof is the same as a moonroof because of used car dealers calling it a moonroof and everybody else calling it moonroof.My 93 mazda 929 had a moonroof (the hand book said so) and the lexus sc3/4 has a sunroof, im looking at the manual right now.

Last edited by sc250tt; 04-14-08 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-14-08, 07:08 PM
Mick
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joewitafro
^^ thank you, that was all I was asking. I've been wanting to sell my supra and get a sc300, one reason is I hate taking my targa off each time I want a little fresh air on a nice day. I was put off a little when I heard from some people (obviously they didn't know what they were talking about) saying that it only popped up, and did not retract into the headliner.

No problem about being tall. I'm 5'6. lol.. Only problem I will have is when I wear a helmet for drags or drifting.

Can't wait till I can sell my soup and get a lexus!!!
Really? I love the way Targa tops look, I was even asking if it could be installed in the SC. I had an MR2 and I didn't mind taking the tops off but taking one top much better than two imo. What year is your Supra?
Old 04-14-08, 07:44 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

sunroof is solid and moonroof is glass. simple as that. targa is the best option and is you dont like it you are CRAZY!!!!

honestly this thread is a waste of server space. the sunroof/moonroof...whatever you wanna call it, on the SC is retractable and tilt-able. lol. what you call it is up to you. i call it "the hole i stand through while on the highway going to drift events" you call it whatever you want.

OLT please lock this

im surprised people have time to care about what its called. its like how you pronounce the word caramel. it doesnt matter how you say it. people know what youre talking about.
Old 04-14-08, 10:46 PM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this thread is not really a waste of bandwidth as people seem to be confused as to what the differences are and ask this question to me frequently as I work for Edmunds.com. And I agree with the majority of people here, moonroof is used when referring to a moveable glass roof. The word sunroof is used to refer to the metal movable roof.

Last edited by Dougspeed; 04-14-08 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-14-08, 10:48 PM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sc250tt
I will have to agree with O.L.T on this one .They can both be opened but sunroofs are made of glass while the moonroofs are all metal. 80 percent of the population think sunroof is the same as a moonroof because of used car dealers calling it a moonroof and everybody else calling it moonroof.My 93 mazda 929 had a moonroof (the hand book said so) and the lexus sc3/4 has a sunroof, im looking at the manual right now.
Actually, which manual are you looking at? I have the manual opened up right here in front of me for my 92 SC300/400 and it does not say sunroof, it says moonroof. And it is the original manual that came with the car so I believe you and OLT are incorrect on this occasion.
Old 04-14-08, 11:03 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

who gives a flyin' shimdiddy what its called...you have one on your SC, or you dont..

either way you have a hole in the roof of your car that has a piece of glass that tilts up, and can slide back..

one company calls it one thing, another company calls it something else.. thats like people getting in an argument about how potato or tomato is pronounced..in the end, regardless of how it pronounced its the same thing

one thing i have learned about internet arguments...its like being a retard in the Special Olympics..win or lose, in the end your still a retard.
Old 04-14-08, 11:05 PM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

So does that make you a retard for getting into an argument with the rest of us by posting that reply?
Old 04-15-08, 09:06 AM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts

No reason to delete this thread, as it answered a question I had pertaining to this car. I've never ridden in one, nor do I have the owners manual to check it out. I've been curious for months.

Me and my brother have several supras actually.

82 supra with built 7mgte w/ 57trim
87 supra - hardtop awaiting forged internal 67mm motor
88 supra - now parts car being stripped
88 supra - my car -- forsale.

Their fun cars but the targa is something that is love/hate. You wouldn't understand if you have never owned/ridden in one. With the targa off the body shakes like a ****.. Highway speed is a nightmare.. so much shimmy. The stock targa seals, especially in the rain.. leak.. Its very hard to get them to seal "correctly".. I have all new seals in my room but no sunshine to get the job done. Ontop of that, the time of removing and putting it back on is excessive. There is four bolts that you have to use an allen wrench to take off. I can get it off in 1-2 minutes, but putting it on and correctly tighting it down in the factory pattern takes a good 5-10 minutes. I would MUCHHH rather have a powered moon roof/ or sun roof, or whatever you guys want to call it.