SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC400 Headlight issues (condensation) - I can't fix this ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-08, 07:35 AM
lexdud
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC400 Headlight issues (condensation) - I can't fix this ...

Three weeks ago I bought the 1993 pearl white SC400 in my sig. She has a grand total of 47,650 miles on her and except for replacing the battery (for piece of mind) she runs absolutely flawlessly. The engine is pristine ... allowing me to focus on some of the more cosmetic issues that this 15-year old car has.

My first project was to remove the passenger-side headlight assy and to refurb it following O.L.T's detailed instructions, which I did. My wife thought I was insane to bake my headlights but that eventually worked, allowing me to separate the assy, clean it out and reinstall it. BTW, the assy was in pretty good shape ... the major issue I had was condensation, something the driver-side assy does not suffer from.

After Isealing the unit per O.L.T's instructions and reinstalling it I awaited the next day to see if the condensation problem was gone ... but it came right back. I have to understand this problem so that I can correct it. My understanding is that the condensation is being caused by a lack of airflow between the inside of the assy and the environment. There are two (2) vents on the rear of the unit, apparently to allow air to travel into and out of the unit. Each vent has it's own little hose with some sort of filter. Unfortunately one of the hoses broke off (from age) when I removed the unit from the car.

I know that this issue has been talked about in NUMEROUS threads but no I've been unable to nail down a definitive solution. The way I look at it I have three options:

1. Buy a new/used assy and hope it doesn't suffer from the condensation problem.

2. Seal the unit to keep air out (this will probably make the problem worse). The assy is made to breathe ... I just don't understand why one assy is clear and the other is condensing.

3. Mod the assy to increase the size of the air vents to increase airflow. This may reduce the condensation issue but if not done properly could cause dirt to enter the unit.

Could anyone with an SC chime in to help a fellow owner out. I could write epic poems about how much I admire this car design. 15 years after it came off the assembly line and it still turns heads (especially mine). I am a bit older than the "typical" SC member here and really want to keep her stock, no mods. She's beautiful just the way she is ...

Thanks for your consideration ...
Old 03-05-08, 11:05 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Heres what I did. I baked and took my apart maybe 4 times, some delining included. Anyway. Some little things you can do is for example; when you seal the unit back together, use zipties over it to fasten the clear plastic cover to the housing. PULL it tight, and let it sit overnight.

If that doesn't work then you can chance it with what I did, but OLT smiles down upon this. I took a drill and just gently drilled a bunch of small holes on the bottom of the plastic unit (the black part). This allows for much more airflow, but OLT states that condensation that enters the unit now more can destroy the unit itself (Rust). I haven't had an issue like that yet, and hopefully won't in the near future either

GL, and happy moddin.
Old 03-06-08, 05:20 PM
Steelwheel
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same thing happened to me so made a vent tube from clear poly and a 90 degree turn down to make it as close to orig design.

Another important deal: if you have the proper venting you will get condensation if you don't have an air tight seal around the clear lens. Soap test your new seal by pressing it up with air slightly while plugging the vents and check for bubbles. If your vents are in the back similar to the way it was originally, and passes the bubble test, it should good to go.

Putting the metal clips back on while the new silicone is drying sealed mine just fine.

Good Luck.

Tim
Old 03-06-08, 05:23 PM
SC3005SPD1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

drill six holes in the bottom of the housing. the black part.... make sure u dont hit the inside chrome looking part. Thats what I did, over a year now never got any water in it. it "breathes" now
Old 03-06-08, 06:27 PM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

i wonder how many here that did the TSX retrofit drilled holes in the black housing to prevent condensation. it might be just the solution.
Old 03-06-08, 08:02 PM
fwynn
Lexus Test Driver

i dirlled like 20 holes ._. LITERALLY hahaha.. it breathes really well (1cm size holes).. also when it DOES fog.. it only lasts for like 5 mins.. and goes away quick :]
Old 03-06-08, 08:10 PM
lexdud
Pole Position

I wanted to thank everyone who responded ... I am on a business trip to SoCal/Vegas and have not been able to do jack about my headlight. Assuming I am able to fix this I have MANY other minor cosmetic issues to deal with ... I can't wait!
Old 03-06-08, 09:05 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you considered buying new? It will solve your problem.
Old 03-06-08, 09:33 PM
SC3005SPD1
Lead Lap

Oh yea I forgot to add.... use zip ties when you reseal the housing. I used silicone glue around the headight and zip tied it all around as tight as I can along with drilling the holes. No condensation, no fog, no leak, water nothing... try it, it will work Been over a yr now, I just buff the outside periodically, havent opened them up since
Old 03-07-08, 12:29 AM
breakb
Lead Lap

dang drill holes in it? when i get around to HID's i'll remember that since one of the headlights look brand new.

Peace out
Old 03-07-08, 07:33 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I hear these work

Old 03-07-08, 09:19 AM
breakb
Lead Lap

wouldn't it look kinda weird sitting inside ur headlight though....

Peace out
Old 03-07-08, 09:20 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Silica packs work wonders. I have like 3 or 4 of them inside each one of my headlights.
Old 03-07-08, 11:18 AM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

where do you stash them inside, obviously between the chrome and black housing i guess...
Old 03-07-08, 04:01 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by mr2tosc4
where do you stash them inside, obviously between the chrome and black housing i guess...

Quick Reply: SC400 Headlight issues (condensation) - I can't fix this ...