SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Nakamichi or Pioneer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-02, 06:30 PM
BriMcc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nakamichi or Pioneer?

How do you know what system you have? I have wood grain trim where the name "Nakamichi" should be. Do I have to take the trim off? Should the CD changer have the name on it?
Old 01-22-02, 08:22 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

The changer does not have the name on it either way(I think).. Does your car have the 10" rear woofer? I will have a look at the changer to see what the serial number is on the changer for the Nak system since I have the Nak in my car... Post the info tomorrow I'm to lazy now to go to the garage... If no one else has responded....
Old 01-23-02, 04:45 AM
BriMcc
Driver

Yes I have the large woofer in the back window.
Old 01-23-02, 05:10 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Nakamichi or Pioneer?

If you have a Nakamichi sys. when you turn the volume **** to about 10-11 O'clock the music is very loud. For the Premium sys. at that setting the volume is just about OK.

my white one is Nak. and the green is Premium

Originally posted by BriMcc
How do you know what system you have? I have wood grain trim where the name "Nakamichi" should be. Do I have to take the trim off? Should the CD changer have the name on it?
Old 01-23-02, 06:49 AM
Ali SC4
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Another easy way to tell which one you have is to look under the rear deck from inside the trunk, if you have a samll amp to the right of your sub its the pioneer if there is no amp its the nakamichi since the NAK system has only one five channel amp.
Old 01-23-02, 10:58 AM
BriMcc
Driver

At 10 and 11 it load and there is no amp at the sub. Must be Nak. Thanks guys..
Old 02-03-02, 03:38 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another easy way to tell which one you have is to look under the rear deck from inside the trunk, if you have a samll amp to the right of your sub its the pioneer if there is no amp its the nakamichi since the NAK system has only one five channel amp.

I thought NAk system has one pwr amp under cd changer and one amp for sub next to sub. if I"m wrong, correct me.
What's the spec on NAK amp?
thanks
Old 02-03-02, 05:22 PM
Ali SC4
Pole Position

Taka,

The pioneer premium system has two seperate amps. A four channel for the doors and rears and a small sub amp of 40 watts or so.
The Nak system has a bigger single five channel amp under the cd changer, I believe its 40 watts to each of the four channels and 100 watts to the sub.
Hope that helps.
Old 02-03-02, 05:44 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

SCream 400, thanks for reply.
I'm new to audio system and trying to understand each step.
I have NAK system and I replaced front speakers to mbquart,
http://www.mbquart.com/Mobile_detail...=QM+215%2E61Q, Power Range: 70-150 watts(does it mean 150 Watts max? 150 Watts x2 =300 WATTS for left and right?).
I want to upgrade rear speaker as well but if I want to keep stock amp, what kind of speaker do I have to get?(power range?)

how about if I decided to change the amp, any recommendation for power range, etc?

sorry if this is too newbie quesiton

Old 02-04-02, 09:39 AM
Ali SC4
Pole Position

When they say 70-150watts. 70 is continous power, 150 is the max, if you run 150 watts to the speaker continously you will blow the voice coil. This is for each individual speaker. From what I saw on the Nak amp it puts out 40 watts continous to each front and each rear speaker. The speakers you got seem to be in the correct range and it sounds like you should be able to turn it up pretty high and not get any distortion or blow anything. If you like your front ones you can go with the same for the rear since they are also 4" speakers from the factory in the rear. However I would probably remove the plastic inlay and with minor modification you can go with 5.25" or 6.5" speakers which will give you fuller sound. Also I would probably use the factory amp unless you are planning on changing everything includding your head unit. Adding another amp just for new rear speakers is not really gonna be worth the money its gonna cost you.
Old 02-04-02, 10:12 AM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

SCream 400, again thanks for your suggestion.

now I'm stuck with this question, COAXIAL or Component Set.

If I get component, where would you install tweeter?

or just install midrange, that's it?
Old 02-04-02, 10:42 AM
Ali SC4
Pole Position

I would probably go with a good set of two or three way speakers unless you want to have the tweaters mounted on the back deck or C pillar. If you already have seperates up front its not really gonna make a dramatic difference to have them in the rear also. If you just install midrange alone it will probably sound ok to the front passengers there wont be any highs in the back of the car.
Old 02-04-02, 11:42 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Wow- I can use 4 ohm MB Quarts in my 2-ohm Nakamichi system?

Interesting discussion, Taka and SCream. I am also looking to replace my rear side 4" Nakamichi speakers of my 92 SC400.

I didn't know I could use MB Quart (or presumably any other 4 ohm) speakers. I thought there was a complication in that the Nakamichi system is 2 ohm, and most replacement speakers are 4 or 8 ohms.

Of course, in my home systems, I never much paid attention to the 4 vs. 8 ohm issue, so maybe that is the case here. So are you saying that, in your experiences so far, 4 ohm speakers work OK with the Nakamichi amp? That would be news to me but if that is so, I now have a project for this coming weekend!

And with all other things being equal, would I expect a 4 ohm speaker to play louder or softer than a 2 ohm speaker?

UPDATE TO THIS POST: I am starting to hear from other CLUBLEXUS members that the Nak may well indeed be a 4-ohm system- it's the Pioneer Premium system that is 2 ohm. Sorry if I got my facts wrong, but I could have sworn I saw a discussion on this a few months back where the Nakamichi system was said to be 2 ohms. Unfortunately, older discussions don't seem to be accessable anymore, so I can't check it.

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 02-04-02 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-04-02, 11:57 AM
Ali SC4
Pole Position

The reason I assume the MB quarts should work with the Nak amp is that Taka said that he is already using them in his doors which run of the same Nak amp. I personally have not tried this. Also ohm is a measure of resistance so I would expect the higher ohm speaker to need more power. I know when you bridge down an amp from 4 to 2 ohms it generally will put out more pawer (watts). For this reason I would expect to loose some volume if you replace 2 ohm speakers with 4 ohm speakers. I am not sure what the ohm output of the Nak amp is, I was assuming it was 4 ohms but if it is infact 2 ohms I would check with a stereo shop to see if doing this is ok or will it eventually fry your amp in the long run.
Old 02-04-02, 03:01 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks, SCream. Hopefully, we'll hear from Taka soon.

Taka- how do the MB Quarts sound? On the Nakamichi system, when you turn the fader so that all you hear are the front speakers, how does it sound? If they sound fine I'm going to try replacing the side speakers on my rear deck with 4 ohm speakers.

FYI- Here is MB Quart's response to my 4 vs 2 ohm question:
========================================
Perry, We would not suggest that you put any 4 ohm speakers on that amplifier, if it is indeed 2 ohms.
The reason is that, that amplifier is set up to run at 2 ohms. With our speakers being 4 ohms they will see about half of what that amplifier will put out for power. That would not be good for the amplifier or the speakers. Under powering speakers is even worse than over powering speakers. I would suggest going for an aftermarket amplifier to power those speakers, something with about 80 watts a channel would be a good choice to power our speakers.
Jeff Bertwell
MB Quart Technical Support Team
1-800-962-4412
jbertwell@mbquart.com

Quick Reply: Nakamichi or Pioneer?