SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

The HELL with MODS, Is your SC running right?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-02, 01:31 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Question The HELL with MODS, Is your SC running right?!?!

There has been so many threads about HP gains, ECU, NOS, intakes, AFC, turbos, mufflers, racing, rims etc... The big question is... IS YOUR CAR RUNNING GOOD enough!?!?

Before you throw money into go fast goodies.... Answer these lil' question

*Can you get into your car and drive across the nation, state, region without fear of it not making it?

*How good are my tires? Tread good, air pressure correct, proper tire for the climate?

*got those struts changed!?

*Stop your SC from missing or loping!?

*Is your car smoking or knocking?

*Got those worn out ugly seats fixed!?

*Got that busted speaker changed!?

*got some new tires yet?..

*get your tranny and diff. serviced lately?

*Is your power steering pump still leaking?

*When was the last time you changed your plugs, wires, caps, or even your OIL?

*Are you mats torn, worn and need of replacement?

*does your dashlights work?

*Does you interior look as good as new again? need a shampooing?

*Is your wind shield cracked?

*Is your steering wheel a mess?

*When was the last time you changed your brakes?

*New pads huh... what about the brake fluid flushed?

*Radiator services, thermostat changed?

*Did you get the AC fixed from last summer? It will be hot again in a few months!

*Does your heat work? It better it's cold outside!

*Are the rotors warped or need of turning/shaving?

*Is your paint CRAPPY? Need a buffing?

If your car has ANY one of these problems STOP worrying about racing, turbos, S/C and 0-60 times and focus on perserving your SC to it's proper condition... I want a sweet looking ride that is plush, posh with the pananche of a $60K car... That drives, looks, feels, and rides like a SC... Focus on fixing a problem with your car and bringing it back to glory... Then you can make it perform better...

The monies we spend on mods/rims can get that older Lexus in mint condition before we know it... If you have a new Lexus keep it that way...

The Ikon

Last edited by The Ikon; 03-18-07 at 07:29 AM. Reason: added a line
The following users liked this post:
lexxxSC400 (10-31-21)
Old 01-21-02, 01:43 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

What maintenance goals do you have for your Lexus?

**I going to get new mats, struts frt. and rear soon...

The past 12 months alone:

*I've changed the plugs, wires, etc
*ALL fluids/coolant,
*waterpump, timing and drive belts and pulleys,
*injectors cleaned,
*new tires,
*tranny serviced,
*repaired seat, gear shifter, brake handle,
*new lights head, parking
* repaired consendation in headlights
*rotated/balanced tires 3 times, and all wheel alignment...
*I also replaced the alternator, tranny and idler pulley in 2000..

I could've save a lot of $$$ by not doing a lot of this, but would my car be running as good as it has been? Plus most of the info I used came from members here at CL!!! I did most of the labor myself thanks to you guys...

Just venting.. I see to many guys with ragged out Lexus trying to make it fast instead of reconditioning the car.. What type of repairs.maintenace hae you guys done? Did you do it yourself?

Last edited by The Ikon; 01-22-02 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-21-02, 02:07 PM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well said Ikon, well said.

The SC400 is quite a heavy car, nearly... 2 Tons!! The load weight per horsepower is in the 20 pounds per HP range based on my Gtech numbers for a stock 1993. That is alot to overcome.

My next maintenance item is as follows. I just got a used Air Conditioner - Climate Control display head. I want to check it out and perhaps solder in new bulbs and then take out my current one and put the used one in. My current one has a backlite bulb out way over on the right hand side so I cannot see what the mode of air flow is at night. During the day it is OK.

After that, I will be changing the Trannie fluid as I am approaching 15K miles on the current batch. I would like to religiously keep it changed fresh every 15K miles. I change the oil every 3K. I also would like to investigate the squeak in the front end when I go over a speed bump. I would like to find out where that is coming from and lube it or some how correct it.

I have a new OEM 1993 front end lower spoiler coming in soon. When that arrives, I would like to take off the rippled one (bent probably due to a tow truck or a parking curb) and replace it with the new one.

When the weather breaks then lots of exterior cosmetic mods are going to happen to RED93. New wheels and brakes and tires and wheel caliper paint. A probable power washing underneath and a repainting of the wheel wells. Engine compartment cleaning. The PIAA wiper blades would go on then too. And maybe even 6 more coats of Zaino!!

I picked up some new SC400 OEM matts on Ebay and may install them as well. Would like to shampoo the interior carpets and treat the leather. Any one have a good leather cleaner treatment they would like to share?

When all of that is done, I would like to invest in a Magnacore set of ignition wires, Denso plugs and new rotors and caps. I would like to do this myself.
Old 01-21-02, 02:49 PM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

Red

Use Lexol on the interior for the leather, it works wonderfully.

I am fortunate that my car is fairly new that when the spring rolls around, I am going to get a professional detail and then start modding the **** out of this *****!!!
Old 01-21-02, 02:52 PM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

Ikon, it is funny you started this thread because I was talking to a buddy of mine who has an RX-7 too and he was talking about these mods he was going to do to his car. We went to lunch today and we were in his car and the windshield was cracked, the tires were as bald as anything and the radio would cut in and out. I asked him when he was going to get that fixed and he said "If I have any money left over after the mods". Idiot.

Last edited by JohnnySC; 01-21-02 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-21-02, 03:16 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

LOL. That's what I am doing before getting turbo. I already fixed interior stuff, now I am ready for exterior. Most important thing on my list is breaks. But since I am doing breaks why not replace the silly weak stock breaks by Supta TT breaks? So that's what I am doing. This spring I will buy new rims, springs, shocks, and Supta TT breaks.

- some 18x7.5 and 18x9.5 rims
- Supra TT Eibach lowering kit
- KYB AGX adjustable shocks
- Supra TT breaks
Old 01-21-02, 04:41 PM
matt7184
Pole Position

Summary of Ikon's good post: "You have to be able to walk, before you can run"
Old 01-21-02, 06:35 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine are all stock. So far only maintenance cost and it is more than $3000 for it this year
Old 01-21-02, 10:19 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Red93sc400
Well said Ikon, well said.

The SC400 is quite a heavy car, nearly... 2 Tons!!

When all of that is done, I would like to invest in a Magnacore set of ignition wires, Denso plugs and new rotors and caps. I would like to do this myself.
**The SC4 is around 3650 lbs to be exact...

**Whenever you are ready to changed the wires let us know the info is here... Also look on the wires if they are the oem wires and the year of the wires should be on them.. So if it reads 1992' or 1993' you have been a BAD owner

I also get my oil changed every 3000 miles or 4 months which ever comes first...

Mine are all stock. So far only maintenance cost and it is more than $3000 for it this year
VQT, aren't you glad you do most of your own work! Most of my work I attempt to do myself to save on $$$, plus I like to do it...

Last edited by The Ikon; 01-21-02 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-21-02, 10:41 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great thread Ikon...this is something a LOT of people overlook especially when they have a used car with high miles (I think anything about 60K is a lot...but that's just me)...

If I can find a clean SC, I'm going to make sure I look at this thread once again!
Old 01-21-02, 11:32 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

A Gen. I and II SC plus a GS4!!! That'll be nice....

Hey Manaray did you "sticky" this thread? I'm glad you thoguht it was worthy, if it was you... I love speed, BUT why if it is NOT running and looking tight?
Old 01-22-02, 07:41 AM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

Originally posted by The Ikon
**The SC4 is around 3650 lbs to be exact...

Yes it is that weight but when you add two people, and the weight of the random stuff in the trunk and such I think you are much closer to 4000 pounds than 3650. Maybe even more as I tend to drive with a full tank of fuel. I use 4000 as the input to the Gtech Pro.
Old 01-22-02, 09:20 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

You have a point there my friend ... Take your passenger out, remove the spare, use 1/4 tank of gas... You should gain a lil' better time...

Back on speed.. There was an article where the dyno tested a M3 and the car got 4rwhp MORE with new/fresh fluids... That's more than what is expected with some of the mods we spend money in getting:eek:

Also in Import Tuner they always get a car tuned or at least have a fresh oil change.. to get the base numbers...

***Has anyone else serviced their SC to get it running like a SC should? We need this data too.. This is what we should be truly looking into to see what fails and cost/ease of that repair.. Because sooner or later it will be a reality for us all if we plan on keeping our coupes running...

Last edited by The Ikon; 01-22-02 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-22-02, 10:07 AM
joelchicago
Rookie

Biggest bang for my buck I've found so far: replacing the ignition coils!!!! HUGE change! Most tuneups are plugs/wires/cap/rotor. Coils usually don't get changed til they fail, but they are less potent far before failure.... Got props from my local dealer on buying them. He said most people don't realize how much power they've lost til they replace those coils....
Old 01-22-02, 10:40 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

How would one make their car distributor less?

Last edited by DIrEctQL; 01-22-02 at 10:43 AM.

Quick Reply: The HELL with MODS, Is your SC running right?!?!