SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC400 Heavy electrical short, man do I need help!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-07, 04:36 PM
hansjl
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC400 Heavy electrical short, man do I need help!!!!!!

First, yes I did do lots of searches…

Drove into the driveway last night and it ran great. This morning I go outside and think there is asphalt being heated somewhere close because of the odor in the air. Turns out the odor is my 95 SC400. The battery was completely dead and 2 times when I put the charger on the battery, the charger blew its reset circuit. After coming home tonight and putting a multi meter on the positive leads, the lead to the fuse box has the heavy direct BIG short. I looked at the fusses and all were good and I doubt that a 15 0r even 30 amp fuse could handle this short that’s there. What direct power comes out of the box that isn't fused?

Last week I found the power steering pump is leaking AGAIN. Damn rebuilt one from Napa leaked. So now it’s also a new alternator on top of the pump. Both have been replaced within the past few yesrs. Could the alternator have burned out and be shorted that bad? I don't think the alternator froze because the serpentine belt doesn't look burned.

The ABS TRAC light came on Monday night and went out. Never happed before or since. I figured it was perhaps a brake warning since I was due within the next few thousand miles so I had ceramics and new rotors put on Tuesday. I can't imagine ABS sensors would cause a hard short.

I really could use some suggestions as where to look past the fuse box. Where can that line go to short that hard, like sticking the battery terminals together.

Thanks for helping me.
Old 11-01-07, 04:41 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

After coming home tonight and putting a multi meter on the positive leads, the lead to the fuse box has the heavy direct BIG short.
clarify?

Old 11-01-07, 05:08 PM
hansjl
Driver

The positive terminal has 2 leads. one goes to the fuse box and the other who knows where. The lead to the fuse box supplies the positive power to all the end points that lead from the central power line. One of these is completely shorted like holding the positive lead to the negative lead. There isn't any resistance. It's like holding 2 wires together to watch the sparks. This isn't like a light bulb short, this is a major short of something coming off the power lead.

I hope that helps clarify my question. Do starters short out What ever it was, it still smells after a whole day.

Thanks
Old 11-01-07, 05:42 PM
SFFD785
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Is your car lowered?
Old 11-01-07, 05:45 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

could be the starter, my boss's GS, one day the starter just start turning turning and produce a lot of nasty smoke while parked, till the starter blowed out.
Old 11-01-07, 07:19 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by hansjl
The positive terminal has 2 leads. one goes to the fuse box and the other who knows where. The lead to the fuse box supplies the positive power to all the end points that lead from the central power line. One of these is completely shorted like holding the positive lead to the negative lead. There isn't any resistance. It's like holding 2 wires together to watch the sparks. This isn't like a light bulb short, this is a major short of something coming off the power lead.

I hope that helps clarify my question. Do starters short out What ever it was, it still smells after a whole day.

Thanks
but what are you TESTING? hot to ground? hot to hot?
Old 11-02-07, 06:48 AM
hansjl
Driver

First , I'm doing a hot to ground - negative to positice check to see if the loop is closed which it is, 100% short, there is no resistance in the loop.

After thinking about the problem, I also am thinking the starter may be the problem because there seems to be no fusing in that circuit. Once again, the battery was all the way down and when I tried to charge it I had to do the 55amp kick to get it to even take a charge. I got out my tech manuals to try and figure where direct, unfused power goes and then it got late.

It's not lowered and the shield is on so I don't think there is a chance of a scrape.

There are 2 positive terminal wires going to the battery and I presume the one that isn't shorted is going to my alternator?

Thanks for you help.