SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Oops. Time to scrap my drivetrain...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-02, 05:37 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oops. Time to scrap my drivetrain...

Well I finally figured out my engine issues. Well my car had been smoking for quite a while now, on and off. It depended on many factors. It all started that fateful night it got towed and they drove the hell outta it.

Well tonight taking off from the tollbooth, when the wastegate opened and I was beside a concrete barrier...I could hear a clicking. Rather a tapping. I know that sound....I've heard rods that sound like that before. :/ So I take it to the tunnel in Ft Lauderdale (ya the same one...lol) I can hear what sounds like a terrible knock when the wastegate opens. Uh oh.

I take it home. Well here's the background. Before I got my job 3 weeks ago, I used to maintain the car *every* day. Check oil...antifreeze...tires...etc. Since I've been working 6:30am till at least 7pm every night, I havent dont crap to it. I've just been getting to and from work as fast as possible, which is 35miles EACH way. Well I overstretched my oilchange a little, to 4500 miles.

Well I check the oil tonight. It's not showing on the stick. Ok so it's a quart and a half low then, right? I add two quarts. Nothing. I add a third. Now it's barely showing. I add a FOURTH quart. It's almost to the full line.

Basically the block had one quart in it. You subtract from that the amount of oil it takes to fill the turbo oil feed and return, and there's nothing left.

In short, need new block. New turbo. Likely new head job. I see it as a good thing, now I can *actually* tell my GF why I have to spend so much on the car. lol

I've been running almost 19psi with racegas, and using a 125shot of n2o on top of it. Usually in 4th gear only, 3rd is too weak, and the interstate is the only place I can screw with that much power without wheelspin from 255 tires....LOL

Well in short, it's time for major changes to my car. Lesson learned? Don't slack on maintenance. With the large amount of oil in the intake piping, it must have been blow-by oil from the tube that goes from the block to the air-intake. That hose literally drips oil.

Oops.

SR
Old 01-11-02, 05:56 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Oh, man, that sux Steve. But I won't say I feel bad for you, i'm sure a JUN stroker kit will ease the pain. Gonna CNC the head? Now i'm no shrink, but 19psi with a buck and a quarter shot in Florida heat with 10:1 compression and stock injectors? You knew what you were doing, hehe. I've done the same, the quicker I make it go boom, the easier it is to justify that new JUN motor and T72. Clever, Wiz, very clever, but you don't fool me.......
Attached Thumbnails Oops.  Time to scrap my drivetrain...-compressed-formula-eng-on-stand.jpg  
Old 01-11-02, 06:18 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Is that one of those holley FI kits?

SR
Old 01-11-02, 09:39 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Nope, not Holley. So, have you laid out a plan for the 'next level'? How's the new place working out? And the job?
Old 01-11-02, 10:17 PM
007lexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Oops. Time to scrap my drivetrain...

Originally posted by CmputerWiz
Well I finally figured out my engine issues. Well my car had been smoking for quite a while now, on and off. It depended on many factors. It all started that fateful night it got towed and they drove the hell outta it.

Well tonight taking off from the tollbooth, when the wastegate opened and I was beside a concrete barrier...I could hear a clicking. Rather a tapping. I know that sound....I've heard rods that sound like that before. :/ So I take it to the tunnel in Ft Lauderdale (ya the same one...lol) I can hear what sounds like a terrible knock when the wastegate opens. Uh oh.

I take it home. Well here's the background. Before I got my job 3 weeks ago, I used to maintain the car *every* day. Check oil...antifreeze...tires...etc. Since I've been working 6:30am till at least 7pm every night, I havent dont crap to it. I've just been getting to and from work as fast as possible, which is 35miles EACH way. Well I overstretched my oilchange a little, to 4500 miles.

Well I check the oil tonight. It's not showing on the stick. Ok so it's a quart and a half low then, right? I add two quarts. Nothing. I add a third. Now it's barely showing. I add a FOURTH quart. It's almost to the full line.

Basically the block had one quart in it. You subtract from that the amount of oil it takes to fill the turbo oil feed and return, and there's nothing left.

In short, need new block. New turbo. Likely new head job. I see it as a good thing, now I can *actually* tell my GF why I have to spend so much on the car. lol

I've been running almost 19psi with racegas, and using a 125shot of n2o on top of it. Usually in 4th gear only, 3rd is too weak, and the interstate is the only place I can screw with that much power without wheelspin from 255 tires....LOL

Well in short, it's time for major changes to my car. Lesson learned? Don't slack on maintenance. With the large amount of oil in the intake piping, it must have been blow-by oil from the tube that goes from the block to the air-intake. That hose literally drips oil.

Oops.

SR

hey dude,
sorry to hear about your ride. Shouldn't your oil light have come on or the check engine light?

Just curious what oil do you use in your lexus, (mobil 1 what weight?). How long do you usually go between oil changes?

You said you have a turbo?

peace,
Old 01-12-02, 04:39 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
Nope, not Holley. So, have you laid out a plan for the 'next level'? How's the new place working out? And the job?
I've sorta laid out a plan. Problem is $$, or rather, not enough of it. I've gotta replace the axles, differential, driveshaft, tranny, clutch, flywheel, block, pistons/rods, valves, turbo, fuel injectors, computer, fuel pump, intercooler, cams, wheels/tires, bodykit, and my rear view mirror. (it's got a small spot that doesnt turn dark when I hit the dark button...lol)

Basically I could buy an empty shell of a SC300 for like $3k, and be in the same position...LOL I'm building the engine, which will require more fuel. Power created will require better tranny and rear end. That will require larger wheels for traction. It's like a catch-22, can't do just one of them, I'm at the point where everything needs to be upgraded. I can't decide how to go about it. I should call Lance at Toyomoto and ask him, but I've just been soo durn busy.

All I know, is that *somehow* I want to get 1000hp out of the car, and it be reliable. To some extent.

New place is awesome, can't wait to get some more cool pimp furniture to go with my black patent leather couch. I just got my cablemodem in last night, WHEW. Finally I'm off that SLOOOOW 19.2k wireless connection!!

Job? I hate it. Gonna quit. I've been working at least 12hrs a day, and they don't pay as well as they need to. Plus between going to and from work, and going to lunch, I put 100 miles a day on the car. That doesnt even include the 1000's I put on it on the weekend. :/

SR
Old 01-12-02, 09:46 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

whiz, if you're gonna replace all that, and you need to get a new block anyway, are you gonna go with the 2JZ-GTE? It wouldn't it give you more options? (HKS cams come to mind) Just curious as to your gameplan...
Old 01-14-02, 10:37 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by SupraCoup3
whiz, if you're gonna replace all that, and you need to get a new block anyway, are you gonna go with the 2JZ-GTE? It wouldn't it give you more options? (HKS cams come to mind) Just curious as to your gameplan...
Well I'll be using just the lower half of the gte, because it comes with oil squirters.....better for hit pistons. I'm still going to use the NA head. I'm not about to attempt a conversion...too much $$ for not enough performance.

SR