SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

92-94 Corner lamps convert to fogs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-01, 07:39 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92-94 Corner lamps convert to fogs?

Hey gang,

Anyone convert the corner lamps to fogs in a 92-94SC? The 95 SC fogs look like they will fit into the 92 location.
Old 12-23-01, 09:18 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Ok,

More information.....looking at the elec manual, I have found a very simple way to power up the corner lamps.

That said, a couple more questions.

1. What size bulb is in the corner lamps?
2. I still think the 95-96 fog lamps will go into the 92-94 bumper location. I will research this with my buddy at the dealer tomorrow.

So, I need to verify the bulb wattage on the corner lamps to make sure a 55w fog lamp and H3 bulb will not cause a melt down. ;(
Old 12-23-01, 09:27 PM
black sc
Pole Position

You can keep them on like a fog light with a simple relay. However, regarding the bulb. It is only a 1156. You would have to change out all the wiring. h3 bulb=55w is much more than a 1156 bulb.
Old 12-23-01, 09:42 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Black SC,

Really, thats a 1156 bulb. Woah need to rewire the H3 for the newer 95-96 lamps.

Actually, no relay is needed to run your cornering lamps with the headlights. 2 jumper wires in the turn signal/combo switch connector under the steering column will do the trick. Jumper A8 to A10 and A11 and your cornering lamps will come on with the headlights. There is no need to add any relays as there is a relay already and your using all the existing safeguard of the Toyota harness when you jumper these 2 wires. A8 is powered up when you turn the headlights on....then when you use each turn signal A10 and A11 are jumpered. And no your turn signals will not come on. ;-) That is another set of pins in that same connector.

Ok, so does anyone know the bulb size in the 95-96 fog lamp? Is it H3?
Old 12-23-01, 10:10 PM
black sc
Pole Position

cool, thanx for the info.
Old 12-23-01, 11:00 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
[Quote from SCream] It was real simple I just tapped into the wires for the parking light that goes next to the headlights, then extended the wires down and attached them to the cornering lights. I just cut about 4 inches above the harness on the cornering lights. Its also easy to figure which wires go together since the each set have a black striped wire for the neg. [Quote end]
Old 12-23-01, 11:00 PM
007lexus
Driver

Originally posted by ToyLexmods
Black SC,

Really, thats a 1156 bulb. Woah need to rewire the H3 for the newer 95-96 lamps.

Actually, no relay is needed to run your cornering lamps with the headlights. 2 jumper wires in the turn signal/combo switch connector under the steering column will do the trick. Jumper A8 to A10 and A11 and your cornering lamps will come on with the headlights. There is no need to add any relays as there is a relay already and your using all the existing safeguard of the Toyota harness when you jumper these 2 wires. A8 is powered up when you turn the headlights on....then when you use each turn signal A10 and A11 are jumpered. And no your turn signals will not come on. ;-) That is another set of pins in that same connector.

Ok, so does anyone know the bulb size in the 95-96 fog lamp? Is it H3?
how does one rewire the light signal as a fog light? Do i rewire from the bulb to what?

Old 12-24-01, 06:44 AM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

You cannot use the jumper wire I talked about above if your going to install a 55w H3 bulb. That jumper wire will only work with the 1156 corner lamp bulb.

If you add H3 bulbs and fogs....you will need aftermarket wiring harness, relay, fuse setup with a aftermarket switch.

Anyone, what size fog light bulb in a 95-96 SC?
Old 12-24-01, 03:29 PM
c_irie
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
firstly the 95-96 fog light housing will not fit into the bumper of the 92-94 cornering light opening the fog light is much deeper and slightly wider than the cornering lamps so the bumper was made slightly different so you would have to change the bumper or do some significant cutting

the bulbs in the 95-96 fog lights are h3 12v 55watt bulbs

what I have started (though I've been too lazy to finish) is that I have taken the cornering light, cut away the majority of the back housing leaving the lens and the area that bolts into the bumper then I will mount aftermarket mini projector type fog lights behind the housing which will allow the beams to be angled correctly , the mini projector fog lights are already protected by thier own housing so the heat does not become a factor and it maintains the factory look the wiring kit is the remote wireless type so that it does not go through the firewall and the switch will be either behind the steering wheel phone control module or incorporated into it since I have removed the insides and replaced the mic leaving the control buttons which are currently un-used
Old 12-24-01, 08:51 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

c_irie,

Exactly the information I needed. Thanks, I wondered if the bumpers were the same.

I like your idea on mounting a projector behind the corner lamp. Keep us informed on progress. I wonder if you can get the proper light output across the front with the corner lamp housing lens? Since this is a corner lamp lens its not designed as a fog beam pattern. Just some thoughts.

I may go with a Piaa fog lamp mounted in the bumper openings.
Old 01-10-03, 05:19 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Dave- Did you ever end up jumpering A8 to A10 and A11? I just popped out my lower steering column cover to try and do the same thing. But as usual, Toyota/Lexus has a very tight wiring harness in that area, so I can't find an easy place to locate, much less jumper, them wires. Do you know the color codes of those 3 wires?

Any advice on where and how you did it would be appreciated.
Old 01-10-03, 06:24 PM
Phoenix88
Lead Lap

That would be a great little mod if all you had to do is open the stearing collum up and connect a few things... if anyone has done it please post some info. Thanks.
Old 01-12-03, 03:29 PM
Phoenix88
Lead Lap

Did you ever finish the little mod?
Old 03-07-03, 12:18 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, I've patiently waited for ToyLexmods to give us an answer, and even resorted to sending him 3 private messages, which were never answered.

So unless I hear from him, I'm gonna conclude he ran into the same problem I did, and even though jumpering those wires might work, there's just no way to easily tap into that tight harness in the lower steering column area.
Old 03-15-05, 02:39 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Detailed Pictures with a clear set of instructions please!

Quick Reply: 92-94 Corner lamps convert to fogs?