SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Thinking about a repaint...

Old 07-13-07, 07:34 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Thinking about a repaint...

as the title states, I'm thinking about repainting the SC... I want something a little not so stock, but will more than likely stay some sort of metallic red, similar to stock...

anyone have any ideas???

I have toyed with the possibility of painting this thing a metallic blue as well, but I just can't make up my mind... I've painted a few cars before, so I will be doing this myself, my only limit is that I want to stay with a 1or 2 stage paint - I'm definitely not skilled enough for any of these multiple stage paints...

If I were to change her color, I'd do it right and strip everything needed, and either way, I'll be painting the engine bay black...

What do you guys think? I plan on keeping the wheels I have, or, I could paint them as well... if you could do any single color scheme on your car, keep the CF hood bare, what would you do - just looking for some suggestions...

edit: at the same time, I'll be shaving all the emblems except the rear L, and the antenna as well - any other simple ideas???

Last edited by mitsuguy; 07-13-07 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-13-07, 11:05 PM
hass
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only do Black or white. Maybe maybe the e46 m3 gunmetal color.
-hass
Old 07-14-07, 12:45 AM
Baoser
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

e46 CSL gunmetal, haha thats like a 10k paintjob... =)

i vote for white
Old 07-14-07, 02:45 AM
silkiechic
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Candy apple red! It sounds tasty.
Old 07-14-07, 03:00 AM
uras300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bare carbon fiber + white FTW!
Old 07-14-07, 03:08 AM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you going with a kit?
Old 07-14-07, 06:01 AM
sean9975
Lead Lap

i would paint it a color not 2 far from stock. unless you plan on pulling the motor & painting the inside of the trunk!
Old 07-14-07, 06:26 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by bigmalik00
are you going with a kit?
I'm gonna just do the 97 sides, possibly front and rear bumpers too, but, honestly, I kinda like the way the 1g looks anyways, so, sideskirts probably, but the rest maybe... I'm also contemplating on painting the stock 1g front air dam body color instead of black...

sean9975 - no matter what I do, I am going to strip as much as possible from the engine compartment and paint it black - I have done this on two cars in the past with great results... as far as the trunk, if I decide to change colors dramatically, it will be painted as well... I will be pulling bumpers and trim and such to do this, so a color change shouldn't be an issue...

I'm leaning towards the Matador Red Mica from the newer Lexus models...
Old 07-14-07, 08:22 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
I'm leaning towards the Matador Red Mica from the newer Lexus models...
I say got for it
Old 07-14-07, 08:46 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Seize
I say got for it
I agree. Your car would be similar but have an entirely different feel to it, since the Matador Red presents a much more bold impression.
Old 07-14-07, 09:33 AM
MCG33
Pole Position

Blue with bare cf hood and black engine bay would be hawt. Were you thinking of a Royal Sapphire Blue or something different?
Old 07-14-07, 10:14 AM
soarinhigh
Lead Lap

Tin foil is a great thing when masking engine bays with engines still in them. Man. try not to go single stage you cant buff most of them, + I really don't think you would be happy with it. at least do a base-clear type paint job. it might be a little more expensive but well worth it in the end.
Old 07-17-07, 11:07 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by soarinhigh
Tin foil is a great thing when masking engine bays with engines still in them. Man. try not to go single stage you cant buff most of them, + I really don't think you would be happy with it. at least do a base-clear type paint job. it might be a little more expensive but well worth it in the end.

Alright, just ordered enough base coat / clear coat in the stock Lexus 3R1 Matador Red Mica to do probably two cars (just in case)...

Will be here this afternoon, then I just have to go borrow a secondary air compressor from my boss - I have one but it's right on the edge of what my HVLP gun can suck up, so I want to have a secondary compressor so I can switch between the two if I run out of air...

I am soooo stoked about this - I already have a little schedule laid out for next week:

Sunday - day off: remove antenna, go over entire car with magic marker marking spots that need attention, cut inner fenders and fold flush where it can be done - remove black wheel well trim from front fenders, remove all emblems - start sanding down to bare metal any areas that need severe attention and reinforce antenna hole (although welding would probably be best here, I have made body filler work in instances like this with fiberglass backing), apply body filler to any areas needing it and sand down
Monday - evening only: more body work, sanding, etc
Tuesday - evening only: more body work, sand entire car with 180 grit
Wednesday - day off: car on jackstands, pull wheels, hood, bumpers, spoiler, finish detail sanding with 180 grit, start masking off car
Thursday - evening only: finish masking car and lay two coats of primer, one coat of marking paint
Friday - sand with 400 grit and ensure everything is straight, smooth, ready to go
Saturday (I'm free from Saturday at 6 pm until Tuesday at 6 AM): start painting... paint, check, paint, check, let dry, sand and refinish any possible runs, clear coat, check, clear, check, etc....
Monday - reassemble car... admire work (or grimace at all the color sanding I still have to do in a week or two)
Old 07-17-07, 11:43 AM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Matador Red Mica is nice Very Brilliant paint...show us your progress along with pics
Old 07-17-07, 12:28 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by SC400Dude
Matador Red Mica is nice Very Brilliant paint...show us your progress along with pics
wowthe paint just showed up here... beautiful paint!!!

no digi cam to take pics with me at the moment.... tonight I will though!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking about a repaint...