SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

I dont want my airbag... can I remove it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-07, 03:38 PM
Member1115
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I dont want my airbag... can I remove it?

I dont want my drivers side airbag in my 92 SC4, and I want to know if I can remove it without triggering any airbag lights on the dashboard? I know how to disconnect and remove the whole airbag unit from the steering wheel, but dont know how to get the actual bag out of the center part of the steering wheel....... if that made sense.

I know that its suppose to make it all better and safe if and when I get in a frontal car accident, but I just dont want that damn thing going off on me. I heard it hurts like a B!+CH when that bag just pops out and slaps you all over the face, chest, and arms.

So is this possible to do at home type of thing, or do I need to take it some place?

Thanks.
Old 07-11-07, 03:45 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Member1115
I dont want my drivers side airbag in my 92 SC4, and I want to know if I can remove it without triggering any airbag lights on the dashboard? I know how to disconnect and remove the whole airbag unit from the steering wheel, but dont know how to get the actual bag out of the center part of the steering wheel....... if that made sense.

I know that its suppose to make it all better and safe if and when I get in a frontal car accident, but I just dont want that damn thing going off on me. I heard it hurts like a B!+CH when that bag just pops out and slaps you all over the face, chest, and arms.

So is this possible to do at home type of thing, or do I need to take it some place?

Thanks.
I'd rather a nice , softish airbag, hitting me in the face than a sold steel steering wheel and column, or better yet, the windshield, or upper frame, or anything else...

Do you actually think they would put airbags in cars if they made them less safe? Do you really think auto manufacturers would spend millions in reasearch and design and figuring out how to manufacture and install 7 or more airbags in a single car if it wasn't safer and would cause less injury...

removing any part of the SRS system will set off the light, just pull the bulb out if it bugs you that bad...

edit: I highly doubt you will find any place that will disable or remove any part of the SRS system as by doing so would open them up to a huge liability issue... imagine you dieing because the airbag was disabled and they were the ones who disabled it, knowingly disabling a safety device that ultimately may have caused death...

also, one other thing - if you do this, don't let anyone else drive the car either - lawyers would eat you alive in court if your disabling a safety device caused someone injury or death...
Old 07-11-07, 04:21 PM
strongsail
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Member,

You're thinkin' with your member, not your brain.

FORGET IT.
Old 07-11-07, 04:40 PM
Sc.ab
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Worst idea ever.
Old 07-11-07, 04:54 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Member1115
I just dont want that damn thing going off on me. I heard it hurts like a B!+CH when that bag just pops out and slaps you all over the face, chest, and arms.
Absolutely, Having the steering column go through your neck and possibly paralyzing you from the neck down is waaaay better.
And think of all the hotties, that are going to have to wash you, and wipe yer butt.

Some of you might remember my Christmas Day accident in Florida. Hydroplaned and into a wall of dirt at 70. I would have been dead or worse, if it wasn't for those airbags. Yes I hurt for a while. Yes I was bruised, but I'm fine...Walking, wiping my own butt, and without the face of Sloth.

Sloth removed his airbag...Now Sloth hangs with a dude named "Chunk"
Attached Thumbnails I dont want my airbag... can I remove it?-pic4.jpg  
Old 07-11-07, 06:52 PM
1sxyrxy
Lead Lap

i dont get why people are afraid of airbags. its not just gonna go off at any random time and break your face. you could remove. but there is no way to get the light out unless you remove the bulb. but with an airbag fault none of the airbags will work. if you take that bulb out. pass it my way. cuz some retard before me thought sense they couldnt clear the light they would just remove it
Old 07-11-07, 08:02 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

keep the airbag. just start using the cup holder instead of holding the pop can between your legs while driving. both you and your junk will consequently be protected in the event of a collision.
Old 07-11-07, 08:15 PM
udstuengt
Rookie

Red Foreman says you're a dumbass.

It's also highly illegal.

Any cop will know a Lexus has an airbag. If you don't have one, you're screwed.
Old 07-11-07, 08:20 PM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes you can, pm me for info, Um you guys dont know everything. I have deployed many airbags, in tech schools and seminars. Its pretty much a 50/50, some times you can be mangled by a airbag. Somtimes they help but mostly when you are not wearing a seat belt. Which in turn is just stupid, a good restraint system beats a supplemental any day.
Old 07-11-07, 08:35 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by twizted
Yes you can, pm me for info, Um you guys dont know everything. I have deployed many airbags, in tech schools and seminars. Its pretty much a 50/50, some times you can be mangled by a airbag. Somtimes they help but mostly when you are not wearing a seat belt. Which in turn is just stupid, a good restraint system beats a supplemental any day.
airbags would not be required in all passenger vehicles if they were not proven in safety studies by trained professionals to aid a person in the event of a crash.

if airbags were 50/50, the government would not require them so that the automakers could make better margins and thusly bolster the economy even fractions of a percent.

if airbags help the people inside the vehicle stay alive, they wouldn't be required.
Old 07-11-07, 08:37 PM
SCwidaGTE
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd take my chances with the airbag rather the steering wheel or dash. not to mention if you wanna be stupid and take yours off, your putting your passengers at risk of death because it disables theirs. so, if you wanna kill yourself fine, but i would at least have enough respect to leave it in so your passengers can enjoy not getting their face smashed in by a dashboard.
Old 07-11-07, 08:48 PM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Um first of all you trust our government? haha. Another thing is srs is partially propaganda, do you believe everything your told? Why would your face be hitting the wheel or the dashboard if you have a seatbelt or harness on properly? I personally have been hurt by an air bag, they cause wrecks when they deploy randomly because you bottom out.

Air bags should be a choice, air bags in some cases have killed people and ruined others lives. I'm not saying they don't save people, but it should be a choice. Anyway how many air bags have you guys set off for study, i have deployed dozens but what would i know? I had a friend just last week that had his head split open by his airbag when he wasnt even near the steering wheel.

Whatever be fed what the oem tells you and dont form your own assumptions...
Old 07-11-07, 08:52 PM
LEXuriouss
Banned

i ve seen airbad removed on sc400-- guy put a tv screen in the place of airbag!
SCREW THE SAFETY!--- AIRBAG WILL BREAK YOUR JAW ANYWAYS

just wear your seatbelt dummies! and leave this poor guy alone. if he wants no airbag all good for him
Old 07-11-07, 10:16 PM
CLNSC3
Lexus Test Driver

I dont do older airbags. Mines gone. As far as the light, take it out.
Old 07-12-07, 12:43 AM
Member1115
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by udstuengt
Red Foreman says you're a dumbass.

It's also highly illegal.

Any cop will know a Lexus has an airbag. If you don't have one, you're screwed.
Hey... "F" Red Foreman whomever he is and "F" whomever shares his so called, unasked for opinion of me!!!

I agree with Twizted... "airbags should be a choice"... not government regulated. To add some political point of view to the scenario, if the government was really so concerned with the safety of the people, tell me why it mandates (as some of you stated) airbags and the use of seatbelts with political statements like "Click it or Ticket" all in the name of safety while driving on four wheels, yet in some states it still does not mandate at the very least helmets on two wheels (motorcycles)? Dont get me wrong... not that im for helmets, but its just an example to prove a point as to why the government should not always be trusted.

Going back to the issue of airbags... I too have heard horror stories regarding airbags going off and doing physical damage due to a minor collision in which in reality the people probably would not have been so badly hurt in the first place if not for the injuries substained due to the airbags deploying. As mentioned before, I too am a believer that the best safety equipment in a vehicle is the seatbelt. Not to mention proper driving habits... this whole thing about steering columns in the chest, dashboards in the face, hydroplaning in the rain... all those things point to poor driving skills at high speeds, unless its a head on caused by another driver (well except for the hydroplaning). So again... going back to basics... you practice good driving techniques... you lessen your chances to ever need the protection of an airbag.

As for me... once again... its "choice" to remove it if possible. Not really looking for negative opinions from the group... just assistance in a DIY. Dont take offense to the statement, but its the truth... you wanna drive a little more on the reckless side than me, go ahead... obviously you will probably be needing that airbag a bit more than me. As for me... I probably rather tone down the speed a bit in the rain or whatever, but not find myself to ever be involved in a situation in which an airbag could have come in handy.

Well anyways... thanks to all of you guys, even the negative commentators, I got partial info regarding what I wanted to know.

Quick Reply: I dont want my airbag... can I remove it?