Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > SC Models > SC 400/300
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

****Official Wheel & Tire Fitment Guide for SC300/SC400****

Old 08-09-14, 09:18 PM   #5356
SC510
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)

so i have 18x8 g35 oem rims. I have the staggered tire setup but was wondering if i could change to non staggered tires. If so what sizes would be best?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
SC510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-14, 01:34 PM   #5357
toyoboy120
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2d2 View Post
10-year old post response warning. (Post #605, coincidentally, also an Oregonian.)

I picked up a set of '95 LS400 front brake calipers, but as I read up on what's involved in the swap, I'm thinking I may have fitment issues. I have '98-02 17" GS430 wheels like these. Most of the info I've been able to find is regarding putting LS400 / Supra TT brakes on a GS car, which apparently requires a RCA spacer. Info on fitting GS wheels over said calipers on a SC is a different matter, since it's purely a question of wheel-caliper clearance.

That's a bit off-topic for this thread, but I was hoping someone could lend some insight into how to determine if my wheels will clear the calipers, short of doing a test install and seeing if they hit. Would I have to measure center-front edge depth of the caliper and compare that to the SC ones, and try to measure the closest point from the inside of the wheel to the caliper (lots of places to introduce small but significant measurement errors!), or is there a better way?

This is the most conclusive answer I've found so far:

Q: Will you need spacers if you are running ls400 brakes with 17" gs wheels?
A: Yes. Even LS400 calipers will require spacers when using stock 17s.

I'm still not sure if that's referring to regular wheel spacers or the RCA spacers needed on GS cars, though. It's an unfortunate overlap in terminology.

I'd rather not add regular wheel spacers if I can avoid it, although it would look better than the high offset stockies. Two reasons: 1) so much disagreement on the safety of running spacers, and 2) I have a bad stud in the back that we haven't figured out how to remove yet with the pressed-on hub, and it would look funky to have spacers up front but not in back!

Edit 1: I eyeballed it while cleaning up the new calipers, and it may be as much as 1/4" to 1/2" too tight between the caliper and wheel. Probably too big of a discrepancy to be worth more detailed measuring, let alone a test mounting, unless someone knows otherwise.

Edit 2: I found a post in another thread saying that 67mm is needed between rotor and back of wheel, and mine is more like 45mm, so I need a full 1" spacer to have only minimal (3mm) clearance. Yikes.
There is nothing wrong with spacers when used properly. I have used them for years on all different types of vehicles. Race cars use them all the time as well. Honestly I feel the bolt on ones are the best.
toyoboy120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-14, 03:00 PM   #5358
t2d2
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyoboy120 View Post
There is nothing wrong with spacers when used properly. I have used them for years on all different types of vehicles. Race cars use them all the time as well. Honestly I feel the bolt on ones are the best.
Good to hear, thanks. However, I've read the "race cars use them" rationale before and find that somewhat less than compelling. Reason being, race cars tend to be torn down and rebuilt regularly. I'm a "set it and forget it" type. Yes, I'm doing a lot of work on the car right now, but once most of the issues are sorted out, I could easily see myself going a couple of years without taking the wheels off to check that the spacers are snugged up.

I haven't made up my mind yet and have been looking for wheel alternatives and spacer options, though.

Oh, another thing that has me confused is the talk of SCs being designed for +50 offset (same as my GS wheels) and anything lower than +35 will mess with suspension and steering geometry. That means you can only move the wheel out 15mm from stock before having adverse effects, and that's 10mm shy of clearing the LS400 calipers which many here have. Are the drawbacks overstated?

Part of it must have to do with wheel width and how offset relates to the center line of a wider wheel, but my GS wheels are 17x8 and I've seen the Supra TT fronts listed as the identical 17x8 and +50. How do those clear the LS400 calipers when other stock wheels of the same measurement don't come even close? I can't make any sense of that.
Old 08-10-14, 06:38 PM   #5359
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwes View Post
^^ Im pretty sure ur gonna need a pull for a 13.5" wheel. Whats the offset?
I dont know the offset bought the wheels from ccw which dont tell you the offset. The wheels before were 11s so i switched out the lip make them 13.5
Borg warner s366, 2jzgte head/ ge block, ls400 brakes, ccw classics, map ecu, 550cc, 4" dp, 3" dual exit exhaust, aem cam gears
soarer13oy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-14, 12:17 PM   #5360
XiKnight
Driver School Candidate

Thanatos-RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC510 View Post
so i have 18x8 g35 oem rims. I have the staggered tire setup but was wondering if i could change to non staggered tires. If so what sizes would be best?
I'm running the same 18s off a G35 (I've tried posting pics but that's not working for me) but your could run 225,235, or 245s all the way around and have so problems with the steering, tho because you'll have the same tires all around make sure shop don't rotate the tires. My rims have front and rear stamped on the inside spoke as I'm sure yours does aswell. I was thinking of running the same size also but I like the staggered look better 225/40 Fronts an 245/40 rears
XiKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-14, 10:22 PM   #5361
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

message me if you want to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by soarer13oy View Post
I dont know the offset bought the wheels from ccw which dont tell you the offset. The wheels before were 11s so i switched out the lip make them 13.5
U will prolly need a pull on the fenders.
bigwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-14, 01:43 PM   #5362
KriticalSC
Driver School Candidate

I have 18x10 wheels with 40mm offsets all the way around. Would I need spacers in the rear and what size?
KriticalSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-14, 10:49 AM   #5363
DoYuEvenSc
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KriticalSC View Post
I have 18x10 wheels with 40mm offsets all the way around. Would I need spacers in the rear and what size?
Depending on what you are going for. You will for sure need spacers if you want to be flush. My front set up is 18x10 +19 and I'm sitting flush with that and same will go for the rears but I think you will be able to go a little lower in offset in the rears to be flush. Of course if that is what you are going for.
DoYuEvenSc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-14, 01:59 PM   #5364
KriticalSC
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoYuEvenSc View Post
Depending on what you are going for. You will for sure need spacers if you want to be flush. My front set up is 18x10 +19 and I'm sitting flush with that and same will go for the rears but I think you will be able to go a little lower in offset in the rears to be flush. Of course if that is what you are going for.
Yes, I definitely want it as flush as possible. Im in college so funds are tight. Cant really afford new wheels. What are my options with spacers?
Old 08-17-14, 09:17 AM   #5365
Suplex432
Driver School Candidate

Default Front 18x9.5 +15 rear 18x11 +25

Found some wheels I really like, but the fitment seems to be really weird. How could I make these fit without beating up my car too much with fender rolling and pulling? Or should I go 9.5 all around for less issues please halp! Forgive my ignorance I have no experience when it come to this stuff!
Suplex432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-14, 01:44 PM   #5366
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suplex432 View Post
Found some wheels I really like, but the fitment seems to be really weird. How could I make these fit without beating up my car too much with fender rolling and pulling? Or should I go 9.5 all around for less issues please halp! Forgive my ignorance I have no experience when it come to this stuff!
I think on the fronts you can get away with a roll only. The rears might need a slight pull depending on the tires u use
Old 08-17-14, 09:23 PM   #5367
DoYuEvenSc
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Yes, I definitely want it as flush as possible. Im in college so funds are tight. Cant really afford new wheels. What are my options with spacers?
I feel like a 20mm spacer will be able to get you flush but I am not 100% hopefully someone else will be able to get you better info if needed.
Old 08-18-14, 09:46 AM   #5368
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
If the offset is a +40 then u will need a 15mm spacer for it to sit flush. You can use a 20mm but u will need to make sure that you either roll the fenders completely flat or shave them
Old 08-18-14, 12:29 PM   #5369
KriticalSC
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwes View Post
If the offset is a +40 then u will need a 15mm spacer for it to sit flush. You can use a 20mm but u will need to make sure that you either roll the fenders completely flat or shave them
Thanks guys. Really appreciate the help. I'll probably go with the 15mm spacers. The tires are 255/35/18 if that sheds a little light and helps out any.
Old 08-18-14, 02:34 PM   #5370
DoYuEvenSc
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Thanks guys. Really appreciate the help. I'll probably go with the 15mm spacers. The tires are 255/35/18 if that sheds a little light and helps out any.
255/35 on a 10 is a good amount of tire. A 15mm might do the trick
Old 08-18-14, 02:34 PM

Tags
20x10, 40, 5x1145, back, bolt, fit, kdw2, pattern, sc300, sc400, size, stretched, stud, tire, wheel, wheels, widest