SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What it will REALLY cost you to buy a used SC....

Old 08-05-11, 11:19 PM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

never seen this thread before but i definetly agree..

It kills me how most people get a cheap fixer upper, when in the long run they would have been better off spending a little more and getting something with little to no issues.

Older luxury cars like these really add up when you talk about fixing things..

Sometimes our just better off holding out for a better car, or saving up a little more till you can afford one in better condition to start off with.
The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (10-04-19)
Old 08-05-11, 11:23 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
Sort of a ridiculous thread imo, seems to be knocking the people who arent fortunate enough to get a car as 'nice as yours'.
I drive a 92 that is still bone stock, what you would define as "NICE" is apparently just one that isn't a total pile of ****. Sorry your car is falling apart, eh? Everyone be jealous as hell...... my stock 92 SC400 runs after 9 years of replacing broken crap through my many DIY's.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 08-05-11 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-06-11, 09:29 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
I drive a 92 that is still bone stock, what you would define as "NICE" is apparently just one that isn't a total pile of ****. Sorry your car is falling apart, eh? Everyone be jealous as hell...... my stock 92 SC400 runs after 9 years of replacing broken crap through my many DIY's.
who said my car is falling apart?

I was one of the lucky ones who was able to get a completely bone stock 93 sc , very low mileage(80 000ish) for a very low price($2400.00)cdn.

I was in no rush to go buy an sc if the price and the car wasnt right for me.

Personally i would never buy one of these fixer uppers because I hate having cars that are constantly in the garage, but we have to realize some people really just dont have a choice sometimes, they need a car , they want an sc , there isnt many in the area, money is limited, etc...
Old 08-06-11, 12:20 PM
MikeSC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife bought her 92 SC400 in 96 for $17000.Over the last 15yrs. she(we) spent approx.$6,000 in tires,oil changes,usual repairs,etc.The car looks great ,runs like new.The only kink , it is missing the front lip spoiler. This is the nicest car I have driven (owned)for $23,000.
Old 08-06-11, 05:27 PM
CloudNine7
Rookie

Originally Posted by MikeSC
My wife bought her 92 SC400 in 96 for $17000.Over the last 15yrs. she(we) spent approx.$6,000 in tires,oil changes,usual repairs,etc.The car looks great ,runs like new.The only kink , it is missing the front lip spoiler. This is the nicest car I have driven (owned)for $23,000.
Only $6k in 15 years! That's amazing! Thanks for posting this.
Old 08-06-11, 05:57 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Here's a quick breakdown of what I've spent on my 91 UZZ31 (as it is my daily driver):

Usage: Daily driven, averaging approx. 600km/week. I've owned the car since early 2009.

Purchase price: ~$6500 (already had air suspension struts and bushes replaced, paint and interior in very average condition but mechanically and electrically A1).

Routine servicing generally costs between $100 - $300, depending on what I get done.

Repairs:
* ~$1000 for complete a/c overhaul (new dryer, compressor, gas etc)
* $300 for repaired TV reciever unit (all part of EMV system)
* $140 for four wheel alignment.
* $640 for new Uniroyal Rain Sport 17" tyres (225/45 and 255/40)... fantastic wet weather tyres as well I might add.

... and so far that's it! $2080 over two years for big replacement stuff isn't too shabby for a 20 year old car that's driven about 2500km/month. General servicing is about $300/quarter.

Items needing attention would be the driver's window (doesn't roll up nor down), possibly engine/gearbox mounts as well (increased vibration, seems to go away with as the engine revs increase). The rest can wait (mostly interior and exterior work).

Last edited by BLK13X; 08-06-11 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-07-11, 12:26 PM
Gate
Pole Position

yohoho bros, what's the dealio? Heck yes I wish I coulda bought me a good used sc, but I would rather have one to drive in the mean time while fixing up even if it's more expensive in the long run, I get to know it better and it's fun, I'm really impatient and didn't want to wait and save up for one in awesome condition.

Bought a white 1992 SC400. minor dent on rear bumper. Scratch on hood. Rear brakes needed to be replaced. All tires at like 5% tread. Struts getting rough, might last a few more months. Already had to to replace the alternator and trans fluid/filter, oil change. leather seats cracked. 12 disc cd changer is missing loading rack. dash lights up, but needles don't... YUP! that's about it! everything else is okay. cost me $2800
Old 08-07-11, 04:36 PM
SandaraSC4
Driver School Candidate

I bought my '92 sc400 with 165,xxx for $3500. After a tuneup (all belts, water pump, alternator, battery, brakes, all fluids) and alignment, I'm sitting at 4800. I saved some money by doing work myself here and there and let my mechanic do the tricky stuff. I'm going to be doing coilovers and wheels/tires soon and I am planning to do the bushings/arms then (they work and the car handles terrifically, but I heard they go bad). But it's nothing I HAVE to do right this second or else I won't make it to work. Car passes emissions and starts every time with no problems. I'm happy with it. Most people my age don't even have a Lexus. So far, so good.

I'd say the only thing(s) I'm unhappy with (and that's nitpicking) are all cosmetic. Dents, scratches, fading paint, ect. But hey, if you go to college full time (like I do), work at starbucks (like I do), and drive a GORGEOUS car, chances are your mommy and daddy bought it for you. My car will get to pretty mode one day though.

I'd LOVE to have a 5 speed conversion and a 97+ body/lights, and it will all happen in due time. I could have saved money in the log run after all that, sure. But I wouldn't be able to enjoy my car now

Last edited by SandaraSC4; 08-07-11 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-27-11, 10:16 PM
2BENVD
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

bump, good thread for those in the market for an sc
The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (10-04-19)
Old 09-28-11, 05:36 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

I haven't had the stomach to add up what I've spent on maintenance, repairs and decidedly mild upgrades to my SC300 since buying it a year ago for $5,000.

It's been more expense than I ever imagined possible for a Toyota *without* a turbo engine swap. I could have easily bought a newer used Subaru with what I think I've spent already.

It's a great car though. It just required a lot of attention to detail to get this way. Far more than any car I've owned to date.
Old 09-28-11, 05:58 AM
Axmily
Lead Lap

I bought my sc400 for $4900 it was in great shape I have every receipt tht the previous 2 owners bought and did to it along with all typed log.. I have only had one problem with it and it was my rear upper control Arm bushing. Other than tht she's a beauty for having 160k
Old 09-28-11, 07:55 AM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased a very rough 190k mile car for $800. Lots of DIY repairs, ebay parts, new interior bits from members here, and new tires. Total into the car is now maybe $2200, and it's not a show car and I still don't have AC but the car is so fun to drive. I should have a pretty respectable ride for about $3k when it's all finished and I'll be quite happy with it. It's amazing that it's still solid and "rides like a Lexus" after 20 years.

There is no other $3k car that's better, I'll put it that way. I wouldn't be willing to have spent $10k for the same thing in better condition. A few cracks, scratches, and stains here and there are well worth the savings. I quit trying to impress other people with my cars long ago.
Old 09-28-11, 09:08 AM
Dv8
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently bought another 91 soarer with 122xxx KILOMETERS. Fairly clean over all, but for the 3k I paid I'll still be into it for at least 8. At least I didn't have to pay the initial 'jdm' tax hah.
Old 09-28-11, 09:27 AM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Well, as this thread is over four years old now, I believe the original price of a clean SC set by O.L.T ( $5800) has gone down significantly.... At least from what I've seen. I've seen multiple clean SCs for sale (92's-95's) for around $4500... Some even for $4000.
Old 09-28-11, 10:26 AM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Great thread and very educational.

My story is quite different in that I was the "original owner" of our '92 SC. I only got to drive it for about a year when a job change "forced me" to swap cars with my wife as I needed a good mileage car and she stayed around town.

In 2004, my son "stole" it when his car broke down ( she was out of town) so he ended up buying it from us. As I recall it had around 120K miles on it. Don't feel sorry for my wife, though, as she ended up with a real sweet, used 2001 LS430 which is another story altogether.

Whenever my son came over to our house for a visit and drove away I would always be jealous missing that great car. Late last year the a/c went out and instead of fixing it he decided to get a new car; and then he did a great thing and gave me back the car. It has 177K miles and the engine runs great.

The a/c we thought had to be replaced but a local shop performed a complete assessment and recommended the conversion kit from R 12 to R 134 which so far is working well ($450). Replaced the trunk struts, too, and after a new steering wheel wrap, some replacement wheel caps, and a good detailing I have great weekend fun car to enjoy.

I take quite seriously the advice and experience on this forum about the costs of repairs and upgrades and this thread should be heeded by those looking for a daily driver - which these great cars can be but keep mindful of the risks.

Another post recently of the guy getting rear ended and having his investment totaled by the insurance company with inadequate funds to repair was an eye opener for me.

Last edited by Duck05; 08-30-15 at 04:43 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What it will REALLY cost you to buy a used SC....