SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

After Market Stereo for SC400?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-01, 07:07 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default After Market Stereo for SC400?

I have a feeling that my Nakamichi receiver is broken. From what I understand after market head unit won't interface with OEM CD changer.

What do you guy recommend on new head unit and CD changer? What Amp. should I buy so that they will fit to the existing Amp. space? For the Nakamichi, I think one Amp. near the sub. and the other one below the CD changer.

What about new Speakers and Sub.?

Thanks,
Old 11-12-01, 12:12 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it all depends if you just want clear sound, or if you want to make your car mobile multimedia on wheels. also, do you want quality? what is your budget??
Old 11-12-01, 03:43 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by do-luck sc
it all depends if you just want clear sound, or if you want to make your car mobile multimedia on wheels. also, do you want quality? what is your budget??
Give me the run down on both.
I don't think I want multimedia on wheels just yet.
I want a good clean sound at least better than the current Nakamichi tha kept breaking down like this.
Old 11-12-01, 05:30 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you can get any kind of system you want. just depends on what your bank account wants to spend. hehe. from as little as 500 - more than 3 G.
Old 11-13-01, 06:27 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by do-luck sc
you can get any kind of system you want. just depends on what your bank account wants to spend. hehe. from as little as 500 - more than 3 G.
OK, tell me what I need. If I have to change the head unit, What do I need to get at the minimum.

I don't want to spend a fortune on this. I am willing to spend ~$1K+ if need be.

Head unit, what brand name, fitting to the dash...
CD changer, same name as the head unit...
Speakers, sub, Amp...
Do I need to change Amp.?

I need details
Old 11-13-01, 04:38 PM
importtoys
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no matter which deck u pick...it will fit because they all will need a custom mounting kit. The best advice is to go to a larger retail store with a huge selection to actually get a 'feel' for the deck.
There are sooooooo many to choose from: Do you have MP3's? ,Thinking about digital satellite compatable decks?
its really to easy to say Alpine deck,mb quarts mids, JL audio subs .... I have tube amps in my home...they sound great so I thought that id like it in the car as well...hated the sound!!
What I like and what someone else likes are 2 dif. things....We have 4 TV screens in our car...some love it some hate it .
The bottom line is that YOU have to like it......Not what everyone else wants you to get.(some salesperson I am )
Pick some that you like and then post what you find and im sure we (lexus people) will help out as much as we can

If you change any part on your stereo...you're gonna want to change it all....its a bug....easy to cath

I personaly like the Image dynamics subs for SQ ( they're not much on SPL) and Diamond audio mids. to match....
Old 11-13-01, 06:37 PM
SC400onDubz
Driver

Default Iwill buy your old amp

Hey man,

I will buy your nak amp if you know it is good.

I need one quick. Let me know at email wscottwilliams@home.com

Thanks,
Scott
Old 11-13-01, 08:22 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Iwill buy your old amp

Originally posted by SC400onDubz
Hey man,

I will buy your nak amp if you know it is good.

I need one quick. Let me know at email wscottwilliams@home.com

Thanks,
Scott
Thanks you the asking,

I will get an after market sys. once I know for sure that my receiver is broken and I can't fix it. I am asking people opinion on after market sys. in case I have to go that route.
Old 11-13-01, 08:33 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by importtoys
no matter which deck u pick...it will fit because they all will need a custom mounting kit. The best advice is to go to a larger retail store with a huge selection to actually get a 'feel' for the deck.
There are sooooooo many to choose from: Do you have MP3's? ,Thinking about digital satellite compatable decks?
its really to easy to say Alpine deck,mb quarts mids, JL audio subs .... I have tube amps in my home...they sound great so I thought that id like it in the car as well...hated the sound!!
What I like and what someone else likes are 2 dif. things....We have 4 TV screens in our car...some love it some hate it .
The bottom line is that YOU have to like it......Not what everyone else wants you to get.(some salesperson I am )
Pick some that you like and then post what you find and im sure we (lexus people) will help out as much as we can

If you change any part on your stereo...you're gonna want to change it all....its a bug....easy to cath

I personaly like the Image dynamics subs for SQ ( they're not much on SPL) and Diamond audio mids. to match....
Thanks Importtoys,

I'll check the retail store for the new system. This is if I can't fix the receiver unit. If my Nakamichi can't be fix, I just change to a better sys. I don't watch movie on the road so DVD system is out the window.

Sorry, I don't know much about today stereo sytems
What's a MP3? SQ?
Diamond audio mid? Is that a name brand?

Thanks again for helping me out
Old 11-13-01, 11:50 PM
methodmf
Pole Position

you can get an in dash 6 disc headunit that way you can save on the cd changer.
nakamichi amp would work if you get somebody that knows how to rewire it.
if you don't want subs to take up ur trunk space jl makes a good free air sub.

I wasn't tring to spend too much money on the system and do those things to my car but I ended up installing a whole pioneer av unit and ps2.
I went from an nakamichi amp to mtx 500w to rockford 1000w amp
jl w0 to rockford back to jl w3 subs
now I'm tring to get some better speakers

IT'S HARD TO STOP

btw anyone install anything bigger than 4" speakers and 3/4" tweeters in the front?
I'm tring to fit 1" tweeter in would it work?
Old 11-14-01, 03:56 PM
XTC
Driver

I am working on my stereo install now.... here is my rundown of what i think could the ultimate.

Alpine cda-7878 mp3/cd deck - spankin new
Alpine Versatile link KCA-(1020??) so i can hook up my laptop for dvd's
Alpine XM radio receiver and glass mount antenna
Hollywood Sound Labs 1200watt Digital sub amp
3 12inch Hollywood Sound Labs eXcursion pro subs with a JL flexport to port out through the rear deck
Kove Audio seperates up front with a HSL digital 400watt amp
Kove Audio Coaxil 6x9's in the rear deck with a HSL 400watt amp
2 ONE FARAD Caps wih digital readout by Fosgate
And in the dash under the radio to fill the space i am putting a voltage gauge meter with readout after the cap, and two temp gauge meters to show the temp of the sub amp and the combined temp of the other amps. The gauges are form www.dakotadigital.com - nice stuff they make

Any input on what i am doing.... My buddy owns a car stereo store so he is of course helping greatly. www.audioxtc.com by ravenswood tire in south fla in dania on griffin rd and i-95
Old 11-14-01, 05:41 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by XTC
I am working on my stereo install now.... here is my rundown of what i think could the ultimate.

Alpine cda-7878 mp3/cd deck - spankin new
Alpine Versatile link KCA-(1020??) so i can hook up my laptop for dvd's
Alpine XM radio receiver and glass mount antenna
Hollywood Sound Labs 1200watt Digital sub amp
3 12inch Hollywood Sound Labs eXcursion pro subs with a JL flexport to port out through the rear deck
Kove Audio seperates up front with a HSL digital 400watt amp
Kove Audio Coaxil 6x9's in the rear deck with a HSL 400watt amp
2 ONE FARAD Caps wih digital readout by Fosgate
And in the dash under the radio to fill the space i am putting a voltage gauge meter with readout after the cap, and two temp gauge meters to show the temp of the sub amp and the combined temp of the other amps. The gauges are form www.dakotadigital.com - nice stuff they make

Any input on what i am doing.... My buddy owns a car stereo store so he is of course helping greatly. www.audioxtc.com by ravenswood tire in south fla in dania on griffin rd and i-95
Sound nice, can you tell me how much are those things.