Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get my LEDs here:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/candylit...fications.html
Old 07-05-02, 02:57 PM
mtnandy
Driver School Candidate

Default sc 300 instrument cluster lights

Wll I see a lot of feedback about trying to fix the led needle problem but it looks like everyone is still trying to fig. it out. I have just purchased a 92 sc 300 and have no lights in the indicators. I tried paint them but still can,t see them and noe my speed is off about 8 mph. What can be done short of buying a new cluster !
Old 07-05-02, 03:00 PM
mtnandy
Driver School Candidate

Default led

do they work on instrument needles
Old 07-14-02, 10:47 AM
danieljava
Driver School Candidate

Hey manaray,

I live in Los Angeles and would very much like to fix my Lexus dash needles. Could you post the contact info of the source you mentioned or email it to me to afjava@yahoo.com.

Thanks.
Old 07-16-02, 05:11 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually, the source never got back to me...oh well, there is another source though in San Fran...

Mikado Eng. Phone - (650) 615-9966
1435-C Huntington Ave
S. San Francisco, CA 94080

It's $175 to replace both the speed and tach needles (might as well)...this place was posted before but these recent prices come from another member, blange400.

Thank him...

Last edited by Manaray; 07-16-02 at 05:11 AM.
Old 07-16-02, 09:04 AM
daygo718
Lead Lap

Manaray- Thanks for the tip! I just spoke with Sammy @ Mikado and he quoted me $275 including shipping to fix the entire gauge cluster (all needles & all bulbs behind the cluster)...I need to replace all of mine not just the speedo & tach. He said if he receives a cluster in the morning he will fix it and send it out the same day. I think I'm going to give it a shot!
Old 10-02-02, 02:39 PM
LS/SC
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default SC400 Instrument cluster Needles

I just spoke with Mikado (10/02/02). They said they are not currently capable of doing early SC instrument clusters-- may be able to in a couple of months.
Old 10-02-02, 03:50 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how about putting in indiglo face and completely blackening out the needles?
Old 10-02-02, 04:20 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Where are you going to find indiglo face plates for an SC. There was supposed to be a group buy on custom made face plates but that didnt work out. IMO I hate those indiglo face plates. It would make the SC look cheap. The current style they have in there is classy and very well designed...well besides the needles but overall its layed out perfectly.
Old 10-02-02, 04:30 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with you on the styling. I love my gauges too. What choices do we have? I don't want to sound like a cheapskate but 500-700 for gauges are crazy.
Where am I going to find indiglo gauges? I was thinking instead of getting the whole dash thing just replacing the faces and connecting the lights and unplugging the needle lights.. *shrug*
Old 10-02-02, 05:11 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Cheapskate? Please lol 500 to 700 dollars for a couple of needles that are lighting up properly is a little outrageous. I dont think its really worth spending so much money on such a little problem. It just makes no sense. I dont really know how you could unplug the needle lights without messing something up but I'm sure anything possible. There has to be a better way than changing the whole cluster. Its seems like such a small simple problem...there has to be small simple solution. I've read somewhere that all you have to do is replace some transistors or something but I lost the page and never got a chance to ask anyone if that really works or not. Oh ya and I remember there was some guy from a company that was trying to solve this problem but I dont know what ever happened to him either.
Old 10-03-02, 07:05 PM
Aznteazer
Lexus Test Driver

Question Is the LED inside the needle??

God Damn I'm confused.

My needles are flickering all around, and now I see that my MPH gauge is kinda dimming too...like around 1, 2, 3....

Isn't there just a wedge bulb that's lighting up the Gauges, along with your radio unit, and AC unit...etc...

My friend with a Solara changed his bulbs to red, and his cluster just glows red now..pretty coool...

But my big question is, is the LED bulb actually inside the needle, or is it glowing behind the cluster, transferring the light to the needle..
Old 10-03-02, 07:25 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Its inside the needle obviously....as otherwise it wouldnt light up if your needle is moving with your speed right?
I think until someone actually takes apart an extra speedometer....working or not, and takes apart the needle and shows everyone whats there, we wont have a fix.
Old 10-03-02, 09:59 PM
EmeraldLexuSC3
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Question Not burned out, just an annoying flicker

From the responses and inquiries, this is a major issue and appears to be an inherent design flaw from Lexus/Toyota.
Has anyone contacted Lexus to find what the problem really is, and what the fix is!?
To pay out that much money to have their problem fix is totaly ASININE!!!!!!.
Both of my needles at the Tach and Speed themselves are not burned out. They are either all on or at times flicker in same dead same spot of the needle. (So I know the LEDs are working just fine) This is very annoying!!

Last edited by EmeraldLexuSC3; 10-03-02 at 11:33 PM.
Old 10-03-02, 10:18 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Same with me needles. The tach needle has about a 1/2 inch spot where its burned out only sometimes. If I turn the dimmness down a little bit they work fine and if I turn the brightness all the way up they look good for a little while so I know it has to be something with the power going to it. The less power the needles get the power they need. If you turn the brightness up all the way its almost like certain spots dont have enough juice going to it. Sometimes when pressing the gas and brake right away you can see the needles get bright and back to dim. Its pretty obvious they're not broken. They should be able to fix. Maybe a burned out capacitator or something. Well if anyone has a extra cluster than we'd probably be able to figure this little inconvenience out.

Quick Reply: Burnt out needle/dash repair...