SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

warning light

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-01, 01:36 PM
Truc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy warning light

I just got this SC 300 and did not receive a manual with it. Recently this warning light has turned on...it is a picture of a car with maybe something to do with the back lights or something to do with the rear end of the car. I checked my back lights and they seem to work. Does anyone know what this warning symbol mean??
Old 11-01-01, 02:22 PM
moshlub
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That means your rear lights have failed or may fail.

I had that too, and found nothing wrong. However, a couple days later, with that light coming on at intervals, my third brake light bulbs finally burned out. Well, only one of the two burned out.

Seems as if the system checks for conductance of the bulbs and will give you an early warning.
Old 11-01-01, 05:33 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: warning light

Originally posted by Truc
I just got this SC 300 and did not receive a manual with it. Recently this warning light has turned on...it is a picture of a car with maybe something to do with the back lights or something to do with the rear end of the car. I checked my back lights and they seem to work. Does anyone know what this warning symbol mean??
One of your brake lights is out
Old 11-02-01, 01:49 AM
black sc
Pole Position

It may be your 3rd brake light
Old 11-02-01, 05:37 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a problem very similar. My lil' orange car in the dash is on as well. One of my brake lights is out. After taking apart the lens assembly I find out the bulb and socket is fine, the ground wire is fine, but no power seems to come to the bulb via the wire harness. I do not have a manual (desperatly searching for a lower cost one). Does anyone else have experience with this. Possibly a fuse or a loose connection somewhere in the front of the car?

Its the farthest right bulb of the passenger rear lens assembly for the brake lights.

I swap bulbs, and the bulb works fine in another socket . I get continunity to ground on the socket, but no 12+ when brake is depressed to that socket....again, the others are fine. I traced the wire back to the left side of the fuel tank, and it still has no power. I don't have a manual to track it up to the front of the car.

I have been tempted to hard wire the two brake bulbs together, but have been hesitant. I might tap off a power witre and run a relay from the working bulb, but I doubt this will elliminate the little idiot from appearing on my dash.

Ideas?

Keith
Old 11-02-01, 08:13 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Keith,

Has you car ever in an accident? If it is, check the wiring at that part of the car...sometime when they put thing back, the wiring might get pinch.

What about flood, has the car ever got realy wet inside? Check under the carpet of the car. Do you see any rusted parts. That will not have a good grounding and may get the sensor to have a fault signal.

Another thing to check is the brake light sensors. The thing that signal the dash light to be on. I don't know about Toyota and I don't have the manual here with me. But for Honda, the sensors are at the brake light housing. It should be something that connecting the light bulbs and the main suppy. Take it out check for any burnt diote (spelling) or resistors. For Honda, the right side is for the right brake light; the left side is for the left and center brake lights.

I paid ~$90 for the shop manual. Check with Carson Toyota, 800-908-6968 it should be around that price. I can't find a cheaper price than that. And I don't know how to find things on E-Bay plus I rather have the manual now and troble shoot the car.
Old 11-02-01, 09:49 AM
Truc
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. Yeah, I actually don't have a manual for my car either. Does anyone know how to program the garage door button and also the seat 1 and 2 buttons??
Old 11-02-01, 02:34 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VQT, when u talk about shop manual, is it same as repair manual? if it is same, $90 is good deal.
I need to get one.
Old 11-04-01, 09:21 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Taka
VQT, when u talk about shop manual, is it same as repair manual? if it is same, $90 is good deal.
I need to get one.
Yes, it is the repair manual.
Without it I am lost. The manual is not that great for some of the repair. Like how to take the power mirror ECU out, one line said take the two nuts out and replace. Yeah, PIA to take the two screws out. Then when I put eveything back, the mirrors work but then my radio stop working and the manual doesn't show where to trace the wiring...

93 White SC400 115K miles
93 Green SC400 145K miles
Old 11-05-01, 05:00 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by VQT
Keith,

Has you car ever in an accident? If it is, check the wiring at that part of the car...sometime when they put thing back, the wiring might get pinch.

What about flood, has the car ever got realy wet inside? Check under the carpet of the car. Do you see any rusted parts. That will not have a good grounding and may get the sensor to have a fault signal.

Another thing to check is the brake light sensors. The thing that signal the dash light to be on. I don't know about Toyota and I don't have the manual here with me. But for Honda, the sensors are at the brake light housing. It should be something that connecting the light bulbs and the main suppy. Take it out check for any burnt diote (spelling) or resistors. For Honda, the right side is for the right brake light; the left side is for the left and center brake lights.

I paid ~$90 for the shop manual. Check with Carson Toyota, 800-908-6968 it should be around that price. I can't find a cheaper price than that. And I don't know how to find things on E-Bay plus I rather have the manual now and troble shoot the car.
Vehicle history shows no accidents or flood damage, and the history report is current and complete - previous owner pampered the car and always brought it to the dealer, even for stupid little stuff. I have had the car since 1997, and this problem has just started in the past 3 months or so. I did not see the "sensors" you speak of. I was wondering how the idiot light worked - but did not see any kind of sending unit or what not. Basically wires to wireharness to bulbs. I'll hopefully order the shop manual - Thanks for the #!!!!!!!!!. The thing that gets me is the fact that there is no power to that wire at all when I depress the brakes. Oh, well, I'll re-check the wires for the sensors. Thanks for the input.

Keith

P.S. Is there a contact person at Carson Toyota, or do I just ask for anyone in the parts dept?
Old 11-28-01, 07:07 PM
petrojeff
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm having the same problem right now, and I have isolated it to a wire coming off the light sensor relay. It has no continuity to the rear stop lights mounted on the hood. (LS400). My question is.... Do I replace the connector, or do I just run and splice a wire in to make it work. Where is the usual failure spot on a harness?
Old 11-28-01, 07:07 PM
petrojeff
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm having the same problem right now, and I have isolated it to a wire coming off the light sensor relay. It has no continuity to the rear stop lights mounted on the hood. (LS400). My question is.... Do I replace the connector, or do I just run and splice a wire in to make it work. Where is the usual failure spot on a harness?
Old 11-28-01, 07:30 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Keith13b

Vehicle history shows no accidents or flood damage, and the history report is current and complete - previous owner pampered the car and always brought it to the dealer, even for stupid little stuff. I have had the car since 1997, and this problem has just started in the past 3 months or so. I did not see the "sensors" you speak of. I was wondering how the idiot light worked - but did not see any kind of sending unit or what not. Basically wires to wireharness to bulbs. I'll hopefully order the shop manual - Thanks for the #!!!!!!!!!. The thing that gets me is the fact that there is no power to that wire at all when I depress the brakes. Oh, well, I'll re-check the wires for the sensors. Thanks for the input.

Keith

P.S. Is there a contact person at Carson Toyota, or do I just ask for anyone in the parts dept?
Ask for Steve Ganz at Carson Toyota, mention that you're the Lexus forum member you may get a discount STEVE GANZ e-mail gonzo4u@earthlink.net. He just bought a 97 SC300...

I think the brake sensor for SC400 is located in the left side of the trunk, above the jack tools thingy. I'll read it up when I have some time. Right now I have too many other trouble with my car. I can't help you much. Sorry
Old 11-28-01, 07:37 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by petrojeff
Ther must be a way to check the sensor. I don't know if LS and SC are the same or not. I would assume it is. I'll check on the manual tomorrow.

Tell me more, describe what you did and where is it so I have an idea what you're talking about.

Remember, I only have the manual. Doesn't mean I know how to fix Lexus especially electrical
Old 11-28-01, 07:44 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Truc
Thanks. Yeah, I actually don't have a manual for my car either. Does anyone know how to program the garage door button and also the seat 1 and 2 buttons??
Garage button? I don't have that...

seat 1 or 2 buttons: adjust the seat, then push the button next to those buttons and push 1 or 2 at the same time. a beeb sound to let you know it programmed. Do not step on the brake while doing this.

Quick Reply: warning light