SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Sunroof making noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-01, 10:37 AM
TeCKis300
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Sunroof making noise

I have a 98 SC300 and I've been getting an irritating rattle from the sunroof as of lates. This is with it closed and tends to do it when braking. Also, I've noticed more and more wind noise at speed. Do you guys know anything in particular to look for in there?
Old 01-11-02, 11:35 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Yeah, my SC400 moonroof rattles, too....

It has gotten worse with age (it's a 1992 model), so I suspect the rubber seals have shrunk to the point where the whole roof mechanism is loose. The only thing that quites it down is opening it.
There does not seem to be any customer- adjustable fittings, seals or links to tighten up, at least not without removing the headliner, which sure looks like a chore. I'd love to hear from anyone who knows what can be done for it, aside from having a dealership poke around for a few $100 hours.
Old 01-11-02, 12:36 PM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sunroof was totally quiet in the warm summer months. Now that it is winter my sunroof is ocassionally emitting some creaks or sqeaks, especially when the car is cold in the morning. I suspect that the rubber gasket is responsible as it get hard when cold. I am planning on dressing it this weekend with some silicone to see if it quiets this down. I will report back after a few weeks to let you know.

Are you in a cold weather area and did this noise start with the cold weather onset?
Old 01-11-02, 02:00 PM
kschiu
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IS the rattle from the front of the moonroof. If so, it is very possibly the wind deflector rattling. The wind deflector is the plastic strip tthat pops up when you open the sunroof. There are some foam that are attached at the corners where the deflector touches the sunroof frame. When they deteroiate you hear the rattle, try to see if this is the case. It is easy to fix if this is the source of the rattle.

James
Old 01-11-02, 03:49 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Since your car is a 98 you should have a lil warranty left.... Is the warranty still intact or have ya' gone over the mileage? Check the wind deflector as Kschui suggested....
Old 01-12-02, 09:23 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up kschiu is CORRECT! It IS the wind deflector that rattles!

kschiu / James was DEAD ON! If you experience a rattle in the forward moonroof area when it is closed, that wind deflector is Prime Suspect #1! I placed a few temporary rubber pads in strategic areas around the wind deflector (especially the 2 velcro pads several inches in from each end) and took it for a test drive- success! Now I will work to place some permanent pads and enjoy the silence, after suffering with that annoying rattle for many years! Thanks so much, James!

I hope this does not sound overly sentimental, but I think it is great how our members, like James, take the time to help out others and I can only hope to pay back the favor someday and help others by posting some of my own experiences on this fab web page!
Old 01-12-02, 10:43 PM
kschiu
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

No sweat Perry. I got a 98 and I had this rattle since day 1. The dealer don't have a clue how to fix it. I just try to isolate the noise and it seems the only thing that could rattle there is the wind deflector. Glad to know this info helps you.

Just in case. If anyone of you has a rattle in the glove box it is the light switch that is rattling.

I am actually pretty new to Lexus. The SC is a great car but I think Toyota did not spend the effort in perfecting the SC the same way they spend on the LS. The LS is a true great luxury sedan down to every detail. The SC really has more wind noise, rattle and rough edges to my liking which I don't see why Toyota can't improve like the LS. My BMW 635 and Porsche 928 are 10 years older than my Lexus but they have less rattle and feel better built than the SC. They do have their problems tough.
Old 01-13-02, 12:57 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My ES has a couple of little rattles and little pops coming from the dash when you ride over some little road bumps but it is quiet otherwise, the car gets older and tolerances open up between all the molding.
Old 01-13-02, 04:12 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, i'm obsessive about squeaks and rattles, after owning too many American cars that were engineered to start falling apart at 50K miles, but my SC is completely silent. I've never heard a squeak or rattle, very happy with the quality, with the exception of the moonroof squeaking, and now I can take care of that, which was driving me nucking futs. Thanks kschiu, and Perry, you're an emotional little ham, hehe.