SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC 400 A/C Charcoal Filter Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-01, 11:38 PM
black sc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC 400 A/C Charcoal Filter Question

I bought the A/C charcoal filter for my car but, it came with 2 rectangular-shaped filters. The instructions say how to put them in but, there is no way both will fit in the car. The '92 SC400 I have did not have one previously when, I took off the cover so, I have no idea if both are suppose to be in there or how the position of the filters fit previously. So, am I putting a square peg into a round hole or what? Please help me out on this one. Both charcoal filters fold with a rectanglar-shaped filter divided into 2 squares each and I have 2 of these rectangular shaped filter=4square shaped filters. TIA
Old 10-28-01, 12:37 AM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

filters? this is news to me... I could use one cuz the AC stinks sometimes.. if there are internal air filters on the car and they can be replaced, please let me know too!
Old 10-28-01, 01:31 AM
black sc
Pole Position

Under the glove compartment of your SC. There are two big plastic plugs that you unscrew and pull out. Then, pull off the cover. There are 2 or 4 wing nuts underneath and unscrew them as so. Then, you will see the filter or filters. Ask your local Lexus dealer and there is a topic under the engine/trans section on this topic.

If your A/c stinks you may have mildew forming which is common for not just Lexus but, most cars with A/C. There are A/C deorderizers that are scented to resolve the problem at your local parts store. I always spray Lysol underneath windshield and let it sanitize the vent system while, running the A/c after a car wash.
Old 11-03-01, 10:19 PM
007lexus
Driver

Can you explain the process more. Like how long to spray while car a/c is running? I presume that the hood is opened and your pointing it at underneath the windsheild. Also what should the temp inside be set to?

thanks,
Old 11-04-01, 02:54 AM
black sc
Pole Position

Put it through the temp that is giving you the most odor when, you notice it. This is a car dealer's trick. I assume it during when you're running A/C. Then, run it during the A/C and alternate to regular vented air and leave the circulation open for new air not, the recirculation mode.

!) Blast the A/C at max. while idle

2)Spray side to side under the windshield black plastic grill

3)Wait for a minute and alternate to vent and turn off A/C

4)Repeat as necessary.

I cannot promise that this will get rid of any mildew or the odors in your car but, it should help.
Old 11-05-01, 10:06 AM
amati5
Driver

Originally posted by black sc
Under the glove compartment of your SC. There are two big plastic plugs that you unscrew and pull out. Then, pull off the cover. There are 2 or 4 wing nuts underneath and unscrew them as so. Then, you will see the filter or filters. Ask your local Lexus dealer and there is a topic under the engine/trans section on this topic.

If your A/c stinks you may have mildew forming which is common for not just Lexus but, most cars with A/C. There are A/C deorderizers that are scented to resolve the problem at your local parts store. I always spray Lysol underneath windshield and let it sanitize the vent system while, running the A/c after a car wash.

I can't find any plastic plugs under the glove compartment. Is it within the inside of the compartment or out side and much lower. When i open the glove compartment, there are 2 rectangle plastic covers that cover the screws but i think these screws are to hold the glove compartment in place. Mine is a 94 SC400.

Thx
Old 11-05-01, 11:49 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Keep in mind that not all years of SC's have the charcoal filters. 92-94 I believe do NOT have them. But I am not sure. I know the 92's don't, because this same idea thread was circulating a few years ago, and I searched for ever to find this filter, then someone that was a Lexus Mechanic posted that not all years have the filters. I can't remember the exact years, but I know he said the 92's don't, and I couldn't find one on mine either.

Keith
Old 11-05-01, 01:23 PM
amati5
Driver

Thx for your reply Keith. I also remember someone said the same before. It seems BLACKSC has a 92 and his has these filters.
Old 11-06-01, 02:16 AM
black sc
Pole Position

I went to the dealer and asked if they had it for my car. In the front of the instructions for the charcoal filter. It explains that it is for Prod. Aug. 1992 until 1996 or something like that. I don't remember if it was up until 1996 or 1997. Anyways, I think you guys are right. I did not claim I had the charcoal filter before.

Mine did not come with a charcoal filter either but, there is a compartment below the glove box (outside glove box at the very bottom) that has the two black plastic plugs. When you take this off. The plastic piece does come off. Then, there are 4 wing nuts on mine but and it is white narrow piece that comes off with black rubber on the inside.

The problem is this. I tried putting the charcoal filters in but, there is no way that both filters can fit just, one of them. The filter is 2 pieces which are divided into 2 squares each. So, in acutality there are four squares altogether. If you look upwards inside,the alloted space for the filter. There are some sort of slots on either side. One of the charcoal filters can fit but, like I said before not both which, the instructions keep saying that both filters should go in. I have one of the filters covering one of the passage ways but, I am sure there is a way to fabricate a filter. Someone on this forum from another post fabricated a Home Depot A/C air flter meant for home usage into there car but, I don't think it was '92 SC series. I think it was another model Lexus which, had a charcoal fiter compartment.

I think I saw the Fram cabin filter is not charcoal either but, not 100% sure of that either.

Anyways, I will problably use one charocal filter that I already bought from the dealer and fabricate another filter to be used with it. I have a Hepa filter with a Charcoal Pre-filter and may fabricate a frame for it but, not sure how I am going about doing it.

It is kind of weird that they did not make the filter for this car but, it seems that there compartment for it just, not the right size.
Old 11-06-01, 09:23 AM
amati5
Driver

Black SC,

To summarize your post, there is an AC filter, even though not charcoal, for SC from 92-96. How often do we need to change this filter ( i assume this filter is for the AC)?

Thx
Old 11-06-01, 08:29 PM
black sc
Pole Position

Originally posted by black sc
Anyways, I think you guys are right. I did not claim I had the charcoal filter before.

Mine did not come with a charcoal filter either but, there is a compartment below the glove box (outside glove box at the very bottom) that has the two black plastic plugs. When you take this off. The plastic piece does come off. Then, there are 4 wing nuts on mine but and it is white narrow piece that comes off with black rubber on the inside.

It is kind of weird that they did not make the filter for this car but, it seems that there compartment for it just, not the right size.
My car did not come with the filter previously like I stated before.

I am not sure. Call up your Lexus dealer to see. The charcoal filters that I bought from the dealer were suppose to come with a service sticker telling when to replace it but, the package was already opened and the sticker was missing.
Old 11-07-01, 05:15 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by amati5
Black SC,

To summarize your post, there is an AC filter, even though not charcoal, for SC from 92-96. How often do we need to change this filter ( i assume this filter is for the AC)?

Thx

To the best of my knowledge, there is no filter of any kind in a 92' Sc's a/c system. Call a dealer to verify if you're still not sure.

Keith
Old 11-07-01, 03:03 PM
amati5
Driver

I take your words for it Keith. I looked before and didn't see anything under the glove box compartment in my 94. It's good, one less thing to worry about.
Old 04-25-02, 03:33 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

It was my understanding that the cabin ventilation system in my 92 SC300 contains a HEPA filter (the "charcoal filter" discussed in this thread).

If that's true then I'm happy, because I have allergies and would love to be able to filter the vent intake into my car.

Also, people have complained about the high cost of replacing said filter ($50 vs. $0.97), but that cheaper air filter is not going to be a HEPA filter.

That doesn't matter to some people, in which case I'd guess that a regular filter would be just fine. But HEPA filters screen out microscopic airborne bacteria and viruses, along with things like smoke, dust, pollen, etc. They're not cheap filters. The big one in my air purifier at home costs about $100 to replace and it should be replaced every year.

So I'd consider $50 or so for a HEPA replacement in my Lexus to be a fair price.

Ral
Old 10-12-14, 02:13 PM
Bouncer
Driver School Candidate

Hi,
wondering about my 95 SC 400, if it has a inside cabin filter. The A/C stinks when you turn it on and it also runs on high all the time now. Auto air is not working correctly.

Quick Reply: SC 400 A/C Charcoal Filter Question