SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: Are these cars the next "240sx" ??
YES
22.56%
NO
54.27%
ALMOST
23.17%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Are SC's / Soarer the next 240sx?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-06, 12:22 PM
the_saint
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking no.

240s are a dime a dozen...and the SC just isn't that disposable of a car. Sure the popularity of the SC is bound to increase, but I don't think they will ever end up *****d out in the #s that the 240 has/will.

And I agree with Petrol Hed, drift does not = rice.
Well, I guess it does, just as much as any other Japanese import = rice.

*fixed*

Last edited by the_saint; 11-30-06 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-30-06, 12:22 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by yelloa3gti
being that i drove a 240 then went to the SC i would say yes, but not yet however. In the future i believe it will deff. be like the 240 craz is now and has been the past few years.

reasons why SC's are apealing..

- you can get an SC for 3-5k range all day long
- when is comes to suspension, diff, clutch setups there are fairly similar in cost to a 240 when you are dealing with quality parts and brands
- its basically a budget supra
- you get 10 times more comfort and features out of the car
- motors swaps ( 1JZ ) are even cheaper and just as easy as a SR swap
- clean, running 120k mile 1992 240sx sells for 3k range for just alittle more you can have the same specs out of an SC.
- original buying of the car may be more expensive but i have seen SC for as low as 1-2k ( perfect for a project car)

I have to say I happy the hype isnt in full force when it comes to the SC but i do believe the SC scene in the US is growing VERY fast and will only pick up

I agree with most of this, also having come from a 240. I must say though that when the S13/S14 were relatively newer to tuners, prices for aftermarket products were no joke. It was not like buying mods for a B series engine, or a Civic or Integra, you had to look hard to find what you wanted (suspension, engine, etc...) and quality parts were always hard to come by as availability sucked. With its growing popularity the aftermarket has become cheaper (Im making an assumption as I havent looked in a while) Im sure and the same will happen to the SC, which would allow more people to build SCs. Also, as mentioned, the price of a motor swap 1JZ/2JZ is not a whole lot different from swaping an SR. Plus you can find parts easier for the 2JZ/1JZ opposed to the SR where not everything is readily available. With that said, there are some things that may not be too appealing. I think the lack of a manual transmission is one, aside from the SC300, and also the weight distribution and total weight may cause some people to shy away from it as the SCs are not small cars a la S chassis, FD/FC, AE86 etc.
Old 11-30-06, 12:25 PM
Petrol_Hed
Driver School Candidate

Just because you own an import doesnt mean you are rice either... it just depends upon how you go about customizing your vehicle I guess.
Old 11-30-06, 12:26 PM
LadySoarer
Driver

Originally Posted by TurboTeg
I'll take your sc off ya

I came from owning a 240 but I'm not a drifter. I always like the SC.

I'll Sell you my SC..................for a billion dollars.....No way in HELL!
Old 11-30-06, 12:29 PM
sc300tim5
Rookie

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
I agree with most of this, also having come from a 240. I must say though that when the S13/S14 were relatively newer to tuners, prices for aftermarket products were no joke. It was not like buying mods for a B series engine, or a Civic or Integra, you had to look hard to find what you wanted (suspension, engine, etc...) and quality parts were always hard to come by as availability sucked. With its growing popularity the aftermarket has become cheaper (Im making an assumption as I havent looked in a while) Im sure and the same will happen to the SC, which would allow more people to build SCs. Also, as mentioned, the price of a motor swap 1JZ/2JZ is not a whole lot different from swaping an SR. Plus you can find parts easier for the 2JZ/1JZ opposed to the SR where not everything is readily available. With that said, there are some things that may not be too appealing. I think the lack of a manual transmission is one, aside from the SC300, and also the weight distribution and total weight may cause some people to shy away from it as the SCs are not small cars a la S chassis, FD/FC, AE86 etc.

not trying to argue or anything but nowdays parts are pretty much plentiful for the sr thats on of the plusses about them now!
Old 11-30-06, 12:30 PM
Petrol_Hed
Driver School Candidate

kaotiq, if you have to sell your SC just so you don't get associated with motor sports then you're retarded. I have to call you out on that one mate. If that's your SC in your sig, then it's beautiful. Why would you want to sell something (that is far from rice) to someone else just because a few A MINUTE FEW people are buying them out of popularity?
Old 11-30-06, 12:31 PM
sc300tim5
Rookie

Originally Posted by DriftNsc3
I feel sorry for you man if you feel like you have to sell your SC if it becomes popular among young kids. I would never base any decision off of what the kids/ricers are doing nowadays.
agreed!
Old 11-30-06, 12:31 PM
Petrol_Hed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sc300tim5
not trying to argue or anything but nowdays parts are pretty much plentiful for the sr thats on of the plusses about them now!
you're right ^
Old 11-30-06, 12:51 PM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

in a couple years the sc will be more popular ,but it will still be alexus and parts will still be up there in prices our cars are 13 years and older and the parts still cost as much as the did when they first came out .
Old 11-30-06, 12:56 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

I sure hope to god not!
Old 11-30-06, 01:00 PM
Answer300
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

how about we just go on with our VIP, Drifting, Drag, and whatever else we want to do with our SC lives and pretend that this discussion never happened!

i mean c'mon, this all started back in the fast n' furious days anyway right. most of the general population had never heard of a "Soarer" or knew what kouki, zenki, and "strawberry faces" were!

the way i see it is: tastefully mod your car to fit your personality and uniqueness and others will see that and make wallpapers out of them
Old 11-30-06, 01:00 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DriftNsc3
I feel sorry for you man if you feel like you have to sell your SC if it becomes popular among young kids. I would never base any decision off of what the kids/ricers are doing nowadays.

I do kinda think the SC will become part of the drift scene but I don't think it will get as as big as the 240sx. The guy I just sold my SC to about 2 weeks ago already has coils and rims on it and about to go na-t. Hes doing all this for drifting. I really can't wait to see my old car on the track drifting.
Feel sorry for me? I don't need anyone to feel sorry for me, bro. I've killed this point in and out for a long time. It's those kids and ricers that ruin it for us. I don't want this to be another debate, but I will say this. Before the SC or 240 craze got big, I had no problems driving my car around as is. Cops were giving me thumbs up all the time and asking me if my car is a 2002 model. Nowadays, I gotta worry about which neighborhood I drive my car around. Yes, I know... my car is highly modded and it's expected to have cops ticket me etc etc...

I know a lot of us old enthusiasts, who have been here before this hype came about, can attest to what I'm saying.
Old 11-30-06, 01:10 PM
natesiy
Rookie

Trends come and go with vehicles.

mid 90s - Civic HB
late 90s - the rest of the Spo cos
Early 00s - 240s, Skylines, etc.
Mid 00s - WRXs, EVOs, Skylines
late 00s - who knows.

Just seems silly to sell your car just cuz it's getting popular. If you love the car, you love the car. Doesn't matter what others are driving. All that means is more love to share with the SC/Soarers.

And...no, i don't think the SC or Soarers will be the next drift car like the 240. It's just too expensive to crash.
Old 11-30-06, 01:24 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is part of the problem that comes with kids buying SCs... they become more of a target for theft.

I'm suprised so many are voting no... Go on to any 240 forum and there are lots of people posting about how they have SC's now.
Old 11-30-06, 01:47 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait a year and see how many SC's are sliding sideways around a track. I will bet cold hard cash that it's not a lot.

Actually, I'll bet that in one year there will actually be LESS cars TOTAL sliding around a track.

I respect those that choose to compete and have fun drifting, but I still see it as a fad. Destined to go the way of the pet rock.

This is coming from an ex-mini truck low rider. Back when we all rolled on 15x11 reverse rims with a good 2-3 inches sticking out each side. We all thought that would last forever too.

Quick Reply: Are SC's / Soarer the next 240sx?