SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Someone hit my car last night..

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-06, 02:58 AM
Sweetser
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone hit my car last night..

So I went out last night and came home, and this morning when I see my car in the light, I realize I have a HUGE dent in the side! This really upsets me because now I have no idea how I will fix this and/or how much it will cost. I wish it could've been the bumper or something, but no, this is the actual car. I know someone must of hit me while I was parked or something because I remember that I parked next to a crookedly parked truck on my drivers side, so when he reversed out, his passenger front must've hit my car.

Is there anyway I can file an insurance claim on this? Would it be worth it?? The nerve of this person -- It's like a hit-and-run. Here are some pics of the damage:

Yeah, it looks like a minor dent, no biggie and could easily be fixed, right? but NOPE, STUPID ME!!! I made it even worse. I went into the trunk and I removed the linier and saw the side where it was pushed in, so I tried to push it back out and it cracked the frame!

Now here is what it looks like today:

Is it worth fixing this or to just sell it? How much do you think it would cost to fix this and how would they go on about in fixing it so it looks like new? I don't think my SC will ever be the same again.
Old 10-25-06, 03:38 AM
okiaristo
Pole Position

tis just a scratch. you will be better off fixing as opposed to selling. there is no long term damage with this type of dent. 500-1000$ tops to get it pulled and color matched. take a deep breath. it is wrong that they hit your car. good luck
Old 10-25-06, 03:53 AM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Fix it .

PS. never park next to a crookedly truck again .
Old 10-25-06, 10:43 AM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweetser
Yeah, it looks like a minor dent, no biggie and could easily be fixed, right? but NOPE, STUPID ME!!! I made it even worse. I went into the trunk and I removed the linier and saw the side where it was pushed in, so I tried to push it back out and it cracked the frame!
that's no biggie, it only cracked the paint, not the frame. and that's just a body panel so a bodyshop could just pull it back out right and paintblend it for 500-750.
Old 10-25-06, 12:09 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

I totally feel your pain! I had that exact same thing happen to my car, in the exact same place - 4 months aftr I got that place fixed
Old 10-25-06, 10:52 PM
dinhNER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get your police beater and whack him.
Old 10-26-06, 02:07 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

either the flash is highlighting the cracks in your paint, or that panel has been skimmed with body filler before... if it's the later, at least you got tagged on a "pre-loved" panel.

...if it's the former, crap.

It's shenanigans like this that really annoy me with non-car types.

John
Old 10-26-06, 05:34 PM
LadySoarer
Driver

Wow, hurts my heart to see that. I got a door ding on my passenger side and I remember parking next to a fat *** broad.
*stay away from big trucks and fat people*
Old 10-31-06, 03:17 PM
Sweetser
Driver

I got a quote and the body shop says it will cost just under $3,000 to fix. They said that it was previously hit there before and was covered with Bondo and that's the reason why when I pushed the dent out, it just cracked. I can't believe this because everything seemed so perfect, the paint and everything. I'd think if it was just covered up with bondo that it wouldn't look as good as it did. Anyway I don't know what I will do now, I think I'm just going to sell it and buy another one because $3K is a lot for such a small area. I could re-paint the whole car with less than that.
Old 10-31-06, 04:01 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

tell your body shop to go shove it. that job shouldnt cost more than 600 or so to fix.
Old 10-31-06, 05:32 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

I got a quote and the body shop says it will cost just under $3,000 to fix. They said that it was previously hit there before and was covered with Bondo and that's the reason why when I pushed the dent out, it just cracked. I can't believe this because everything seemed so perfect, the paint and everything. I'd think if it was just covered up with bondo that it wouldn't look as good as it did. Anyway I don't know what I will do now, I think I'm just going to sell it and buy another one because $3K is a lot for such a small area. I could re-paint the whole car with less than that.
WTF? I was hit at my school's parking lot and my body shop fixed it for $1500 - and the bumper also needed to be fixed and painted.

Go find another body shop and tell them to remove the previous bondo so you don't end up with a bondo cake and tell them to hammer it out and bondo the rest.
Old 10-31-06, 05:47 PM
Sweetser
Driver

I also questioned why it was so much and I think they are feeding my BS. They told me because they have to do work all the way up to the roof... I told them Why the damage isn't even near the roof. And they said that it was previously in an accident and that part is all one piece and it was never taken cared of and that they would have to do the whole thing up to the roof. I don't know, I think they are full of crap if you ask me.
Old 10-31-06, 05:51 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

I also questioned why it was so much and I think they are feeding my BS. They told me because they have to do work all the way up to the roof... I told them Why the damage isn't even near the roof. And they said that it was previously in an accident and that part is all one piece and it was never taken cared of and that they would have to do the whole thing up to the roof. I don't know, I think they are full of crap if you ask me.
Yes, replacing the entire thing with a new rear quarter panel is expensive. It requires cutting the old one out and welding in a new one. That costs money. Bondo obviously costs less, since nothing has to be welded.
Old 10-31-06, 05:54 PM
mvallido
Pole Position

Go shop around. They are definately full of Bravo Sierra.
Old 10-31-06, 07:32 PM
Toshima
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This might be a dumb question but does some one make rear over fenders for are cars? I had a ugly dent on a 240sx awhile back and just fixed it the best I could then put a 30mm over fender on.

Quick Reply: Someone hit my car last night..