SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

My impression of KYB struts

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-01, 09:57 AM
sc300jon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My impression of KYB struts

I just replaced the struts on my 100k '92 SC300 this weekend. The OEMs were KYB front and TOKICO rear. One of the rear struts was making a leaky mess since 77K and all of the boots were torn.

My stock-height car would bottom-out over speed bumps and some driveway entrances, especially those from highy-crowned roads. Lots of body lean in turns as well. I have 245/45-17 tires on the car.

I replaced all of the struts with KYB GR-2 struts.

The ride is a lot happier now. Matter of fact, it is downright choppy. I feel every depression in the road and the ride is nearly uncomfortable. Don't get me wrong, I prefer this to the sluggish ride my car had with the tired OEM struts but I hope there is some settling of the ride.

I opted not to install Eibach lowering springs because I've heard they cause the ride to become to jarring. I am now glad that I did not do this.

-Jon
Old 10-15-01, 10:57 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: My impression of KYB struts

Originally posted by sc300jon
I just replaced the struts on my 100k '92 SC300 this weekend. The OEMs were KYB front and TOKICO rear. One of the rear struts was making a leaky mess since 77K and all of the boots were torn.

My stock-height car would bottom-out over speed bumps and some driveway entrances, especially those from highy-crowned roads. Lots of body lean in turns as well. I have 245/45-17 tires on the car.

I replaced all of the struts with KYB GR-2 struts.

The ride is a lot happier now. Matter of fact, it is downright choppy. I feel every depression in the road and the ride is nearly uncomfortable. Don't get me wrong, I prefer this to the sluggish ride my car had with the tired OEM struts but I hope there is some settling of the ride.

I opted not to install Eibach lowering springs because I've heard they cause the ride to become to jarring. I am now glad that I did not do this.

-Jon
Something suspiscious about your little story here. Why did you get the KYB GR-2? You could have hotten the KYB AGX as they woud fit in too. You were using different shocks in in rear as in the back? Wouldn't that cause problems?
Old 10-15-01, 11:04 AM
sc300jon

I did not realize the AGX's were available for the SC300, otherwise I would have looked into that.

I'm not sure I follow your other comment. I have KYB GR-2 struts in the rear and in the front. They are, of course, different part numbers.

-Jon
Old 10-15-01, 05:18 PM
moshlub
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm planning on replacing my rear shocks this weekend. Any tips or anything? I have the rear stock shocks, but am not sure what I need. Can I get away without spring compressors? Give me a step-by-step run-down.
Old 10-15-01, 07:35 PM
DickLexus
Rookie

I've had the KYB GR-2's on my car for six months , believe me, the ride does not settle down. I like the handling but I miss that Lexus smoothness. I don't have cash now to change them so I will have to deal with it. I was surprised how hard they ride because KYB advertises them as smooth riding. They are smooth compared to my John Deere.

I was thinking about just changing the rears and see it that helps. They harsh ride seems to be caused by the stiff rears

Last edited by DickLexus; 10-15-01 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-15-01, 07:49 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have eibach's in my car w/ aftermarket shocks and the ride is sweet!
Old 10-15-01, 08:19 PM
DIrEctQL

I don't see a problem, get AGX adjustable shocks. You can make a softa out of your car or a nice full blown sports car at an effort of turning the dial.
Old 10-16-01, 06:42 AM
sc300jon

Originally posted by moshlub
I'm planning on replacing my rear shocks this weekend. Any tips or anything? I have the rear stock shocks, but am not sure what I need. Can I get away without spring compressors? Give me a step-by-step run-down.

You will need a STRUT spring compressor, these can be rented for $6-$8. The strut assembly needs to be compressed to work it out from inside the suspension. It's an awkward task to say the least. You'll have to compress the spring about 1.5" to 2". Not only that but the extended strut assembly itself has some amount of spring preload. Before you begin the task you should also take a look at the strut boots; they are the rubber bellows that keep road debris off of the strut rod and lip seal. If torn you should invest in a new one at about $35/ea. I used a generic ($5) shock boot instead and it works fine. Besure the mark the location of the mounting plate and fasteners at the top of the strut so that you can maintain alignment when you go to re-install. Let me know when you plan to do the fronts, the procedure is a bit more difficult.

-Jon
Old 10-16-01, 06:44 AM
sc300jon

Originally posted by DIrEctQL
I don't see a problem, get AGX adjustable shocks. You can make a softa out of your car or a nice full blown sports car at an effort of turning the dial.

KYB does not list an application for the SC300.

What is the cost?
Old 10-16-01, 07:18 AM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by sc300jon

KYB does not list an application for the SC300.

What is the cost?
The reason why it's not listed because like I said, they don't list them. It's the same shocks that fit the N/A Toyota Supra. So get the ones for Toyota Supra. I belive they start at about 100 bucks each.

Last edited by DIrEctQL; 10-16-01 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-16-01, 07:41 AM
sc300jon

Oh well, live and learn

But, all said, I am not unhappy with the GR-2 shocks. I think I would have been if installed with the higher rate Eibach springs.

-Jon
Old 10-16-01, 11:40 AM
black sc
Pole Position

Would this work on the SC 400 as well as the SC 300? My best guess is yes but, want a confirmation.
Old 10-16-01, 12:13 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by black sc
Would this work on the SC 400 as well as the SC 300? My best guess is yes but, want a confirmation.
My guess would be the same.

Here you go guys, check out this post:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=22913

SC300TURBO is the man if you want to know more about KYB AGX and SC300s relationship. Myself, I am definitelly going with the KYB AGX shocks after the winter.
Old 10-17-01, 05:38 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those shocks are valved 50/50,meaning the compression is the same as the rebound values.
This is rarely a desired setup on nearly any car,and these are just generic,replacement shocks;the shocks for a Geo Metro will have the same internals as the ones for our cars.
I found this out years ago,and realized why they just never seemed to work real good on anything that I put them on.
Nowadays they're almost as expensive as OEM units,which really are pretty decent.
Old 10-17-01, 05:45 PM
sc300jon

Originally posted by SCV8
Those shocks are valved 50/50,meaning the compression is the same as the rebound values.
This is rarely a desired setup on nearly any car,and these are just generic,replacement shocks;the shocks for a Geo Metro will have the same internals as the ones for our cars.
I found this out years ago,and realized why they just never seemed to work real good on anything that I put them on.
Nowadays they're almost as expensive as OEM units,which really are pretty decent.
You're speaking of the GR-2 shocks, right?

I realize they are pretty mundane but my car handles very well now.

-Jon

Quick Reply: My impression of KYB struts