Drifter,

Check my thread here.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...w-leather.html

Shane
Old 12-17-13, 01:08 AM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't one guy on here have a bada** steering wheel one time?
Like a Sparco type racing wheel, but it looked OEM - Like sumtin' out of an exotic (L Badge too!)
Old 01-29-14, 03:55 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Bump! :-)

Im looking at the Airbags for Wood Grain Steering Wheels, and it appears there may be lightly different sizes depending on 02-04 ES vs 98-03 GS & RX.

I know 100% for sure the non-chrome L symbol Airbags from all-leather wheels dont fit the wood steering wheels.

What Im not trying to determine is if all the ones for GS, RX and ES with the chrome symbol thru 2002 or 2003 will fit the GS/RX wood grain steering wheels from 98-2003?

Reason is I have a 2003 ES airbag I can get, but it looks just a tad different in the pics on the bottom spoke...like maybe its just a little bit shorter, which would leave a gap.

Anyone know??

Last edited by az-dave; 01-29-14 at 03:55 PM. Reason: subscribe to thresd
Old 01-30-14, 01:24 AM
BdBlkSC400
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a 95 sc400, anyone know of any after mrket wheels that will work? I'd like to replace my wheel with a D shape bottom wheel with a oem look.
Old 05-11-14, 11:53 AM
blkracefan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if I wanted to add steering wheel controls to my 95 GS could I just swap a wheel from a different model? Like a Avalon or a RX??
Old 05-11-14, 02:12 PM
jennie
Pole Position

Originally Posted by blkracefan
So if I wanted to add steering wheel controls to my 95 GS could I just swap a wheel from a different model? Like a Avalon or a RX??
I think you would have to somehow wire in the steering wheel controls. The steering wheel controls are something I definitely miss switching from my IS to the SC.
Old 05-13-14, 11:04 AM
95gsDanG
Driver School Candidate

I'm in the same boat as blkracefan. I've got a 95 GS300, and want to add steering wheel controls. The way I see it, there's two ways to go about it.. One being easy-ish, and the other being a fun Saturday project (probably longer, knowing me.)

Either way, I know that I will need the audio controls module, and an adapter to connect to my aftermarket head unit. The question is, will it be easier to just buy a new wheel, complete with controls, route the control wires, and be done? Or should I look at customizing my existing (factory) wheel to accomodate Lexus/other car manufacturer's controls that I can pick up on ebay, etc.?

What all is involved in making sure a different wheel will fit? I'm already assuming bolt pattern, and airbag harness (speaking of, read alot about 1 stage and 2 stage bags...?) Is there even room enough to run an extra, I'm assuming, ten or so 22awg wires through the column and through the wheel?

I'm no stranger to running wires, as I've been a home theater/car tech for nearly the past 20 years. I'm just used to connecting amps, etc. and not steering wheels lol.

Any help would be great! Most google searches have rendered nothing but steering/suspension issues, or woodgrain wheel covers.
Old 05-13-14, 11:38 AM
ArkLaTexSC
Pole Position

I'm having very little luck, umm, deciphering this thread.

Can anyone come up with a short list of easy, plug n play wheels(incl. their bags)?
Old 05-13-14, 01:14 PM
jennie
Pole Position

All wheels should have the same spline shaft pattern. You shouldn't have any trouble running the wires, but it does get cramped in there once you put the airbag on so don't think you can just stuff all the extra wires somewhere like an AV install. I would just go on ebay and buy a used wheel that has controls, then figure out the wiring.

For the airbag, you might need an airbag harness. Do a search on here, it will connect your older style airbag connector from your car to the newer style connector on the airbag. I never needed it because mine is a 99.
Old 05-13-14, 02:55 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

RX300 Steering wheel here...

Name:  IMG_03651_zps0c869f63.jpg
Views: 1086
Size:  94.0 KB
Old 05-13-14, 03:14 PM
ArkLaTexSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jennie
All wheels should have the same spline shaft pattern. You shouldn't have any trouble running the wires, but it does get cramped in there once you put the airbag on so don't think you can just stuff all the extra wires somewhere like an AV install. I would just go on ebay and buy a used wheel that has controls, then figure out the wiring.

For the airbag, you might need an airbag harness. Do a search on here, it will connect your older style airbag connector from your car to the newer style connector on the airbag. I never needed it because mine is a 99.
Any options for not modifying the harness though, and keeping an airbag? That's mainly what I'm looking for
Old 05-13-14, 03:24 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Just yesterday, I stumbled across a steering wheel that would drop dead gorgeous in a stock interiored SC. Search eBay or Google for "MOMO Jet 2 Gold Steering Wheel." There appear to be a few variations of the color scheme. Of course, going that route would eliminate the air bag.
Old 05-13-14, 03:45 PM
jennie
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ArkLaTexSC
Any options for not modifying the harness though, and keeping an airbag? That's mainly what I'm looking for
The harness keeps the airbag, it's just an adapter since the plugs are different.
Old 05-13-14, 06:52 PM
ArkLaTexSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jennie
The harness keeps the airbag, it's just an adapter since the plugs are different.
Oh, okay. Is there a common website to get adapters?
Old 05-14-14, 12:12 AM
jennie
Pole Position

Use the search button to your advantage.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-complete.html

Quick Reply: STEERING wheel upgrade.....