SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

headlights fogging up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-01, 03:09 PM
jaycee26
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb headlights fogging up?

I read on another website that one of the reasons Lexus, in particular SC 300/400 series, headlights fog up is that people who use high pressure washers to clean their cars aim the jets too close to the lights around the edges and the shear pressure of the water is forced through the seals.

As a prevention/cure mentioned ...

... do not use the pressure washer close to the headlights!! (I can see why people would use it up close ... to get the plattered bugs and/or road grime off the lenses).

... should you already have the moisture inside the headlight, unscrew the bulb fixtures from the back of the headlight (someone suggested in another thread to remove the battery from behind the driver's side lamp in order to prevent cuts on the hand from sharp edges due to the tight space), and then hold a hairdryer fairly close to the lens to heat up the glass and in turn heat the interior of the headlight. This should evaporate the moisture inside the light and expel it out of the openings left by the removed bulbs.
If things look like they cleared up somewhat, I guess you could let the light cool down to see if there is still any moisture inside that will condensate on the inside of the glass. Presumably, proceed to warm up the healight again to continue the process.

I would like to reiterate at this point that this is what I read on another site, and I have not tried this or confirm that this works. It is merely a suggestion and should you take it upon yourself to perform the above, DO NOT hold me responsible for anything that may go wrong (e.g. crack in lens or whatever).

Should I encounter this fogging problem myself, then I may try this and proceed with extreme caution due to the costly nature of headlights!

Jason.
Old 10-15-01, 09:00 AM
captclam
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't work worth a darn.... here's why.

The assembly is in 3 parts. The part with the lights is completely separate for the part where you see the condensation. They lights are sealed completely from that part.

In addition the light portion is already vented by several small bend hoses that come out of the back of the assembly.

If you want to dry them, you will need to drill two small holes in the very top where you cannot see them. They can be close to each other if you wish. Then, but a high wattage bulb or a hair dryer in front of the lens to warm it. Then, take your air hose and put it up to one of the holes and circulate air through it for several minutes. Then place a small short screw in the hole and put a drop of silicone over them, so you can do it again next week!

I took the whole front end apart, took out one of the assemblies, baked it tore the thing open from the sticky putty that hold them together, and let me tell you it was a waste of time!!

The site here says to do it to clean and reseal them, but getting them back together again was so tough the it is not worth it. I wish someone on this site would offer that service!! I would gladly pay $50 a side!!

Kirk