SC300 Trailer Hitch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-06, 12:28 PM
C-SupraTT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC300 Trailer Hitch?

Hello,

Can someone recommend where to buy a trailer hitch for an SC300? I recently picked up a used 97 as my daily driver.

I'm NOT going to tow anything, just to carry a bike rack for 1-3 bikes road bikes. I don't want to scratch up the paint & bumper with a trunk bike rack.

Thanks,

Chuck
Old 07-28-06, 12:47 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

What about the top mount rack? Or will that damage anything?
Old 07-28-06, 01:10 PM
C-SupraTT
Driver

I'm not sure if there's a roof rack for our cars, plus I want to use the sunroof

It's so much easier to mount/dismount bikes from the hitch.
Old 07-28-06, 01:19 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Gotcha, just trying to help out.
Old 07-28-06, 01:44 PM
C-SupraTT
Driver

Thanks for the replies...why is it tacky to have bike hitch? Would you rather mess up the trunk and the paint of your car?

Riding bikes is my hobby and I mentioned carrying between 1 - 3 bikes at a time.
Old 07-28-06, 01:51 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

There ARE roof racks for our cars FYI, I know because the previous owner of my SC had one on and its left nasty marks on my paint that don't come off
Old 07-28-06, 01:52 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C-SupraTT
Thanks for the replies...why is it tacky to have bike hitch? Would you rather mess up the trunk and the paint of your car?

Riding bikes is my hobby and I mentioned carrying between 1 - 3 bikes at a time.
good point! if you're using it for bikes, then by all means, do what is easier for you. It's your car..
Old 07-28-06, 01:52 PM
goldencan
Driver School Candidate

I bought a 93 SC300 w/ a hitch on it already... The prior owner had a canoe..
so what...there's a cover for the hitch ...
If I buy another boat I'll be able to pull it a total of 1 mile from my house...
I had another hitch on my 535 BMW when I drove cross country ...
It saved me lots of $$$$
Do what makes you comfortable
Old 07-28-06, 02:29 PM
C-SupraTT
Driver

Again, thanks for the replies. I was NOT asking for an opinion regarding the use of the bike rack/hitch. All I wanted to know was whether someone would recommend a brand or a shop to buy from. I thought that maybe someone had a hitch installed on their SC to carry bikes only. I know that I don't need the Class 1, 2 or 3 trailer hitch capacities. All I need it for is to maybe carry 150 lbs max for 3 bikes and the bike carrier. BTW, I sometimes travel out of town for our bike rides, so it's not just around the block

Another benefit of using a bike hitch (if you bike) is that you can easily have access to the cargo in your trunk without having to take down everything (bikes & trunk rack).

We have SUVs that I can use, but that's not the point...

Last edited by C-SupraTT; 07-28-06 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-28-06, 02:49 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use my Sea-Doo for monster trucking and my Ferrari for off roading
Old 07-28-06, 05:41 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a small reciever hitch on my sc400. I can remove the reciever and the ball and it hangs about 2 inches down from my bumper. I get a lot of flack for it, but I don't own a pickup truck and I need one at times, so i pull a small trailer. I towed all my possessions and my motorcycle across country with my Sc400.

I custom made the hitch so I can't tell you where to buy one...Although I have seen SC's with trailor hitches that looked like a company made them.

What I did was take a peice of square stock and bent it to fit between the two tow hooks on the rear rails and the spare tire well. I mig welded it to those stock black brackets. I bought a hitch peice and welded it to the middle of the scuare stock. I did the trailor wiring harness also. You have to buy a kit for this because the taillight bulbs do not use 12v to light up.. You have to get power from the fuse panel and use the light from the tailight and turnsignal as a relay signal. I can't remember who's kit i used, Reese maybe?

Anyway any good trailor rental/hitch supply store should have info on this for you.
Old 07-28-06, 05:59 PM
1badsoarer
Driver

I say use it for what you need it for. It's only a Sc300.
Old 07-29-06, 09:20 AM
XSTeknique
Pole Position

I think it's kind cool seeing SC's with hitches, roof racks, and stuff. Granted, it's not the classy nor sporty look we're looking for but it is a pleasant reminder that there's more to us SC owners than just cars. You should see my car with 3 surf boards stacked on top of it, that gets some stares let me tell you.

Last edited by XSTeknique; 07-29-06 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-29-06, 02:34 PM
C-SupraTT
Driver

Great replies!

I'm not crazy enough to use my SC as a full fledged tow vehicle, but I think it can carry a few bicycles!

I have an old trunk lid bike carrier, but I just didn't like the idea of having all that weight on the plastic bumper.

Regards,

Chuck
Old 12-08-08, 10:55 AM
Jcom7
Driver School Candidate

You can go to your local U-Haul dealer and they can get you the hitch you need and even install it. What I did is purchased my CURT brand hitch online (on ebay acutally). It was about $100 dollars cheaper than anywhere else I could find one and it was also brand new. I installed it myself which wasnt too bad...it took me about 2 hours. But U-Haul will even install a hitch for you if you dont buy it from them.

Quick Reply: SC300 Trailer Hitch?