SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Removing the glass sunroof

Old 07-18-06, 10:47 AM
john_sc400
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Removing the glass sunroof

I seached the forum, but did not find any instructions for simply removing the glass sunroof.

All I wanna do is remove the glass and the surrounding weatherstrip. I really don't want to go through readjusting it if not necessary to the removal and reinstall.

The purpose is to bolster the weatherstrip with some commercially available residential door weatherstripping (many sizes available at Home Depot). But I cannot do it with the glass mounted in the car.

Do I have to remove the headliner or can I do if from above?

Will removing it throw the alignment all out of whack?

Thanks,

JohnC
Old 07-18-06, 10:57 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

pop off the two 12" trim pieces, and then remove the 6 10mm nuts, and then the glass will come out.
The following users liked this post:
howat (03-13-19)
Old 07-18-06, 03:29 PM
techsc400
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How about alignment?

Great information, Aliga....

Are there some screws for the sun roof glass alignment adjustment?

For example, my sun roof glass is stick out little when you look at it from outside from driver side door. Front of the sun roof glass is higher than the roof itself if you look at it from the side.

Is there a adjustment screw or something to lower the glass, so it can be same level with roof itself? I think that this is why I hear lots of wind noise from sun roof.
Old 07-18-06, 03:32 PM
john_sc400
Rookie

Originally Posted by techsc400
Great information, Aliga....

Are there some screws for the sun roof glass alignment adjustment?

For example, my sun roof glass is stick out little when you look at it from outside from driver side door. Front of the sun roof glass is higher than the roof itself if you look at it from the side.

Is there a adjustment screw or something to lower the glass, so it can be same level with roof itself? I think that this is why I hear lots of wind noise from sun roof.

You may need to remove one of the shims from under the front left stud/nut. It wiil lower the glass with respect to the roof.
Old 07-19-06, 06:29 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

John:

Just so you know, the sunroof is supposed to leak. The sunroof tray is responsible for draining the water out thru the 4 corners.

So just in case you are trying to cure a leak into the cabin, look into the tray itself, not the sunroof weatherstrip.

Just a thought if this was your goal. The sunroof tray leaks in various locations sometimes.
Old 09-11-06, 10:01 AM
p.hase
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great hint! removing the roof took me two minutes. surprisingly only 2+2 screws that hold the roof. i thought i take a pic of the shims that need to be adjusted. i had to put 5 additional washers and i interchanged some of the OEM shims to adjust the correct level of the roof.

i found out that lexus taped some thin strips inside the roofs weatherstrip to "widen" the weatherstrip by 0.5mm. also at all 4 edges paint has come off in the last 10 years and by this i loose also 0.5mm if not more.

so i will add thin plastik strips behind the whole weatherstrip and i am sure my roof will be supertight like ex factory.
Attached Thumbnails Removing the glass sunroof-roof.jpg  
howat (03-13-19)
Old 09-11-06, 10:14 AM
SpinAll4
Former Sponsor - Cancelled

My sunroof has always leaked (wind noise) like a ***** from the day I got it. I've so far used viny cleaner & restore from griots, vasaleen, & string trimmer line in it to try to stop it. Only shoving the string trimmer line in helped stop wind noise, and its always falling out. I think its ****ing retarted that lexus did not design the weatherstriping on the sun roof to be replaceable.
Old 09-25-06, 08:34 AM
john_sc400
Rookie

Here's a solution that is working well for my SC4:

Removed the glass as described above.

Get a roll of Scotch "Mounting Tape" part number 110. It's 1/2" wide by 75" long. It's the double sided tape with the very thin foam center. Cost $1.69 at Target.

Using a pair of scissors, carefully cut the entire roll lengthwise so you now have two strips of tape that are 1/4" wide.

Now carefully pull the existing weatherstrip away from the metal frame far enough to insert the tape, sticky side to the frame. Do not remove the backing from one side of the tape until after you have inserted it all the way around the frame.

After you are satisfied that the tape is inserted so the edge is even with the weatherstrip all the way around, then you can peel off the backing and press the weatherstrip against the tape.

Reinsert the glass and install the nuts loosely; do not tighten them until you close it. You may have to stand outside the car and align it as you are closing using very small steps. You want to make sure that it centers in the hole and that the entire strip is flush with the roof as intended. Then tighten them.

I left it closed for a couple of days until the seal stabilized.

It's just thick enough to affect a tighter seal. Works great. Much, much quieter at highway speeds.
howat (03-13-19)
Old 12-29-07, 10:31 PM
thegadget
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John sc400, I just wanted to say thanks, nice instructions, I am going to try it....
Old 01-04-08, 08:11 AM
thegadget
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, just used aliga's instructions, peice of cake to install it!!! Thanks!