SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Instrument cluster light

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-06, 09:43 AM
enigma2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument cluster light

Hi all. New to this forum and to Lexus. I just bought a used SC 400 (1992 model).
So far I really like this car.
I have though a couple of questions. The car came with no remote. Lexus wants 699 C$ for a remote. Checked the ebay, found some but they say that if you do not know how to program it just do not bother to buy it. Does anyone here know?
Secondly one of the lights on the instrument cluster (the one behind the gas indicator) is burnt.
I understand that this is a weak point of the car but is it a fix I can do by myself? I bet the dealer will want an arm and a leg to fix it. (had the same problem with a Subaru Outback and was able to fix it myself with the help of a forum).
Again I am happy to be part of this forum and looking forward for help and ideas to improve my ride!
Old 04-26-06, 09:51 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Since youre new we will be nice. Use the search button......It does a world of good. I had the same problem as you, and i sent the entire cluster in to replace the needles, dont try it yourself, you will end up destroying it and having to replace the entire cluster. As for the remote, i have no clue on that. I assumed that the 92's had the little button on the key itself like mine does.

http://www.lextech.org/osCommerce/

O yeah, and Welcome to CL

Last edited by Jewtheist; 04-26-06 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-26-06, 10:00 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma2
Hi all. New to this forum and to Lexus. I just bought a used SC 400 (1992 model).
So far I really like this car.
I have though a couple of questions. The car came with no remote. Lexus wants 699 C$ for a remote. Checked the ebay, found some but they say that if you do not know how to program it just do not bother to buy it. Does anyone here know?
Secondly one of the lights on the instrument cluster (the one behind the gas indicator) is burnt.
I understand that this is a weak point of the car but is it a fix I can do by myself? I bet the dealer will want an arm and a leg to fix it. (had the same problem with a Subaru Outback and was able to fix it myself with the help of a forum).
Again I am happy to be part of this forum and looking forward for help and ideas to improve my ride!
Check the STICKY at the top of the forum in regards to your instrument cluster lighting questions. Welcome!
Old 04-26-06, 10:13 AM
Drocay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jewtheist
Since youre new we will be nice. Use the search button......It does a world of good. I had the same problem as you, and i sent the entire cluster in to replace the needles, dont try it yourself, you will end up destroying it and having to replace the entire cluster. As for the remote, i have no clue on that. I assumed that the 92's had the little button on the key itself like mine does.

http://www.lextech.org/osCommerce/

O yeah, and Welcome to CL
I'll agree if u want modded lights or have burnt needles def go to lextech for your lighting needs but if u have a burnt out back lights and u just want em fixed and stock just go http://www.luxurymods.com/tutorials.php
and check out the tutorial for getting your cluster out, and just replace the bulbs 194's are the kind you need.
Old 04-26-06, 10:15 AM
Drocay
Pole Position

o, and i just noticed there site is down right now but it'll probly be back soon i was on there last night.
Old 04-26-06, 10:45 AM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

In regards to your one back light going out on your cluster, it is the bulb contact that is shorting out and not offen is it a burnt bulb... Try a quick couple of hand pounds on that area and I bet that light will come back on.. Had that problem on my a few of my sc400's in the past and I gave the dash a good couple of pounds near the problem. The light always came back on.... That was before I sent my cluster into Lextech lighting...
Attached Thumbnails Instrument cluster light-hpim0336.jpg  
Old 04-26-06, 01:50 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Drocay
I'll agree if u want modded lights or have burnt needles def go to lextech for your lighting needs but if u have a burnt out back lights and u just want em fixed and stock just go http://www.luxurymods.com/tutorials.php
and check out the tutorial for getting your cluster out, and just replace the bulbs 194's are the kind you need.
That is incorrect, you need #24 bulbs, not 194... totally different bulb.

The tutorial however for changing them is correct, I link to it all the time.
Old 04-26-06, 11:19 PM
enigma2
Driver School Candidate

Default C\Light

Well the banging helped!!
As for the search, sorry I will try that first next time.
Thanks again and I really appreciated the info on Lextech.