Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So your door handle doesnt work - DIY w/ pics

Old 03-17-08, 04:35 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My door opens generally, but once in a while it doesnt want to open from the outside or the inside. I have to play with the locks and handles a few times before I can get it to open. This isint the same problem is it?
Anyone else have this problem?
Old 03-18-08, 02:29 PM
anhion
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help door handle

okay so my clip is fine its the metal rod that the clip goes on that is broken any suggestions?
can i just sodder the part back together? how the heck do i get in there?
lexus wants me to buy the whole entire part something like $300.
Attached Thumbnails So your door handle doesnt work - DIY w/ pics-p3180012-small-.jpg  
Old 03-24-08, 08:44 AM
IS_Sunny
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TommySC
I just attempted this fix. My rod was OK and the plastic clip had broken. I put everything back together, and when I pull the outside handle it feels “different” (more tension when pulling) and when it gets to the top (full pull), the rod and snap connector just pop right out of place. The yellow connector and rod stay connected, they just pop out of the hole on the handle

This happened three times, than on the fourth time, the handle worked. We test pulled it about 50 times before putting the door back together. Than as luck would have it, this morning as I went to get in the car… pop, the thing shoots out again and I the handle wont work.

Why is this thing popping out when the handle is pulled? Am I doing something wrong, or is my rod bent in a weird way?

Any ideas fellas?
Sorry to ask again, but my post kinda got lost. I am still getting in the passenger door to open my drivers door… it is terrible.

Does anyone know why my rod and connector keep popping out? (The connector and rod are staying attached to each other, but wont stay clipped into the door handle.)
If anyone knows, please let me know. I hate this.
Old 03-24-08, 09:53 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to ask again, but my post kinda got lost. I am still getting in the passenger door to open my drivers door… it is terrible.

Does anyone know why my rod and connector keep popping out? (The connector and rod are staying attached to each other, but wont stay clipped into the door handle.)
If anyone knows, please let me know. I hate this.
buy a new clip, insert the clip into the door handle, and then insert the rod
Old 03-24-08, 10:06 AM
IS_Sunny
Lead Lap

Thanks Gazi,
I appreciate the quick reply (and the constant flow of nice SC parts into the marketplace lol).

What I am trying to say is that I have already purchased a new snap connector.
I have inserted the connector into the proper spot on the handle inside the door.
I than clipped the rod into the connector… and the handle worked for about 50 pulls, but than just popped out.

I basically know how it works, and how the repair should be done, but for some reason my rod/connector combo wants to pop out of the hold in the handle area.

Do you know what would be causing this?
Old 03-24-08, 10:40 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Thanks Gazi,
I appreciate the quick reply (and the constant flow of nice SC parts into the marketplace lol).

What I am trying to say is that I have already purchased a new snap connector.
I have inserted the connector into the proper spot on the handle inside the door.
I than clipped the rod into the connector… and the handle worked for about 50 pulls, but than just popped out.

I basically know how it works, and how the repair should be done, but for some reason my rod/connector combo wants to pop out of the hold in the handle area.

Do you know what would be causing this?
the only other variable is the rod, it may be slighlty deformed, was it bent?
Old 03-24-08, 11:50 AM
IS_Sunny
Lead Lap

Not from what I could tell; however, I never pulled out from where it is connected. The fork end is still secure in the part that it is supposed to be in.

The rod being bent makes sense though, I couldn’t think of anything else it could be. Am I correct in that I cannot buy a new rod, I would have to buy the whole assembly, which I am sure that you have.

What does a broke bastard that had to get in the wrong side of his car have to pay for one of these parts shipped?
Old 03-24-08, 05:33 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Not from what I could tell; however, I never pulled out from where it is connected. The fork end is still secure in the part that it is supposed to be in.

The rod being bent makes sense though, I couldn’t think of anything else it could be. Am I correct in that I cannot buy a new rod, I would have to buy the whole assembly, which I am sure that you have.

What does a broke bastard that had to get in the wrong side of his car have to pay for one of these parts shipped?
i sell them for 80 shipped, your price 70 shipped. it is a whole assembly
Old 03-25-08, 08:18 AM
IS_Sunny
Lead Lap

On a good note, I actually fixed the problem . In most cases if the bar is bent it will be bent downward (from the window pushing it down). The problem with mine was that it was slightly bent towards the inside of the door… toward the driver, as opposed to toward the outside of the door. Basically this slight bend was making the bar pull at just enough of an angle to force it to pop out.

Once I noticed this, I just pushed on the bar from any angle I could fit my elephant hand inside the door. We are talking millimeters here, but I was able to slightly bend the bar back out towards the outside of the door. This was enough to take away the angle of the rod, and now it works!

I hope this can help someone… although it is very hard to explain / understand this stuff unless you have seen or are looking at how the whole setup is laid out.

Also - Thank you though Aliga, you are the man. I cannot think of anyone better to have on the forums, than yourself… it’s like a personal SC warehouse, with great prices.
Old 03-28-08, 04:45 PM
Lubeboy
Driver School Candidate

Okay, so I fixed mine the same way... outer door now works, but inner does, and now even worse, the outer stopped working... could I have burnt out the switch? Is the a way to get the door to open now that it is in shut position? Do I need to buy entire assembly now? thanks for help
Old 03-28-08, 11:25 PM
wooziewest
Driver

Does this method also work if you cant open the door from the inside but you can from the outside? Can someone please help me out on this, i am very inexperienced with door actuators and need to learn how to fix this
Old 04-03-08, 08:12 PM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

I love the search button! My door just went today and I'm ordering this part right now ty for the tutorial
Old 04-03-08, 11:37 PM
MexicanSC
Driver School Candidate

i just had the same problem, except my GF decided to roll down my window, i havent had time to take the panel off yet to see how bad or hopefully if the rod isnt even bent! but i do agree, awesome thread+1
Old 04-04-08, 08:58 AM
b1ackhawk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wooziewest
Does this method also work if you cant open the door from the inside but you can from the outside? Can someone please help me out on this, i am very inexperienced with door actuators and need to learn how to fix this
Im note sure, i havent seen that problem before, but you could follow, starting at the inner door handle, the rod and look for a similar broken plastic piece.
Old 04-04-08, 06:55 PM
wooziewest
Driver

I did find a broken plastic piece not attached to anything. I seem to be having trouble working in such a small area. I think im goin to try taking the entire actuator out and working from there

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So your door handle doesnt work - DIY w/ pics