SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Wind Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-05, 07:55 AM
Sturdi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind Noise

I purchased my first SC a few months ago. I bought a 95 SC400 and I am loving it. The only problem I have is the wind noise coming through the sunroof. Does anyone have any suggestions to alleviate this?
Old 12-29-05, 08:10 AM
totrider
Lead Lap

I'm having the same problems also. not that loud but it stillbothers me...
Also did you do a search on CL. I've never searched this topic myself. maybe there is a topic about the sunroof. MAYBE???
anyway. maybe someone in CL find out how to fix this problem..
Old 12-29-05, 08:48 AM
SpinAll4
Former Sponsor - Cancelled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did some searching and it seems a couple people pulled the weatherstripping off, put something under it and put it back on and good bye wind noise. I've hear maybe string trimmer line but not sure.

What I do know is going at it with giriots garge rubber restore only helped a little. Adjusting the glass just make the leaks move from the front to back, and lexus will not sell you just new weather stripping. You have to buy the whole new sunroof at 9xx.xx $. I have not be able to find anyone who sells any after market replacment weather stripping for the lex, and I'm totally stuck . I don't want to peel off the stock weather stipping in fear it may tear.
Old 12-31-05, 12:47 AM
XS_SC300
Driver

MIne's doing the smae exact thing... that noise kills me at 90+
Old 01-01-06, 10:25 AM
setwire
Pole Position

Default Re sealing Sun Roof

Originally Posted by SpinAll4
I did some searching and it seems a couple people pulled the weatherstripping off, put something under it and put it back on and good bye wind noise. I've hear maybe string trimmer line but not sure.

What I do know is going at it with giriots garge rubber restore only helped a little. Adjusting the glass just make the leaks move from the front to back, and lexus will not sell you just new weather stripping. You have to buy the whole new sunroof at 9xx.xx $. I have not be able to find anyone who sells any after market replacment weather stripping for the lex, and I'm totally stuck . I don't want to peel off the stock weather stipping in fear it may tear.
What you use is monofilament ( Fishing Line) it comes in various sizes.
Available at any sporting goods store.
Need a little tube contact cement as well.
You insert the fishing line between the 2 pieces of rubber weatherstriping all the way around and use the contact cement to glue it in place.
This increases the thickness of the weatherstriping and creates a better seal.
Best to start off with fairly thin momofilament and it that doesn't work then go up a thickness or 2 till the roof is totally sealed again.
Cheap fix. Can't be seen and it last for a long time.

Rob