SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

no more airbag hoorah!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-05, 07:13 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no more airbag hoorah!

I got my Soarer center section today form Jhot, steering wheel also for $50 shipped.

1. Removed side covers, unbolted and took out airbag, unbolted airbag brackets from the steering wheel, bolted on soarer center cover brackets to my lexus steering wheel (had to knock off a tiny wire holding clip off cruise control thing to use them, but otherwise perfect fit, cruise bolts back on like OEM).

2. Hooked up horn wire

3. Snapped in soarer center, tightned the 2 screws, put covers in place.
Done.

Total time: maybe 20mins tops taking my time.

Next mod:
Remove airbag light

ps, no pics, dead batterys in camera
Old 12-09-05, 07:33 PM
nasc300
Lead Lap

no pics no thread
Old 12-09-05, 07:37 PM
DETUNED
Lexus Test Driver

sweet, i payed 40 for mine. I'm kinda sick of it now and want an aftermarket one.
Old 12-09-05, 07:42 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DETUNED
sweet, i payed 40 for mine. I'm kinda sick of it now and want an aftermarket one.
Yeah.. I wanted no airbag, but i wanted to keep my cruise control.. soarer center = only option

Plus its hot. Now i get to stare at a griffin, and not some L symbol
Old 12-09-05, 07:44 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Why would you not want an airbag?
Old 12-09-05, 07:50 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by morris
Why would you not want an airbag?
I don't like explosives pointing towards my face. Have you ever seen what happens to a guy that has a can of soda between his legs when the air bag goes off, even at like 25mph? If you live past the massive blood loss, it would be a good time to be a transvestite.

Not to mention burn scars, broken wrists, fingers, noses. My last GF's right arm was all scared from an airbag going off at stupidly slow speed parking lot wreck. I always wear my seatbelt, and people lived and crashed for 80 years before they were invented, no need for some bomb in my car now.
Old 12-09-05, 08:05 PM
duckworth
Rookie

Originally Posted by VJ RC51
I don't like explosives pointing towards my face. Have you ever seen what happens to a guy that has a can of soda between his legs when the air bag goes off, even at like 25mph? If you live past the massive blood loss, it would be a good time to be a transvestite.

Not to mention burn scars, broken wrists, fingers, noses. My last GF's right arm was all scared from an airbag going off at stupidly slow speed parking lot wreck. I always wear my seatbelt, and people lived and crashed for 80 years before they were invented, no need for some bomb in my car now.

exactly, and if people research their actual effectiveness per each deployment, they'd see how useless they are.......and the damn powder that lingers forever post wreck.....horrible

had a wreck in a 95 maxima in january.......had my seat belt on, always sit in my seat the correct way, etc.....i'm 6'1" and somehow my head still reached the top of the windshield but that's not the fun part, the airbag "punched" me in my chin basically and i ended up with a cracked vertebrae.....just now getting over it completely.......3 broken necks in 3 cars with airbags......they haven't helped me much at all, and without them, i'd still have broken my neck probably, but i'd not have had to smell that powder, not have road rash from the sandpaper-like surface, etc......

i hate them too
Old 12-09-05, 08:22 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Which year SC got the slow(er) air bag?
Old 12-09-05, 08:26 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by salimshah
Which year SC got the slow(er) air bag?
I would imagine not til at least 98?
Old 12-10-05, 12:28 AM
boobstar
Lexus Test Driver

if you go aftermarket and get rid of the soarer center...count me in for first dibs. btw what do you have to do to get rid of the air bag light?
Old 12-10-05, 01:04 AM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by boobstar
if you go aftermarket and get rid of the soarer center...count me in for first dibs. btw what do you have to do to get rid of the air bag light?

take out the bulb =)
Old 12-10-05, 09:39 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rscott
take out the bulb =)
Old 12-10-05, 10:35 AM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive been debating taking mine out. I dont like the things they scare me.... We set a few off in my ASE class and the things go from the ground to 200 feet in the air and you dont even see it happen its so fast....
Old 12-10-05, 11:21 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default "Prevents deaths, but increases injuries"?

Those are scarey stories, but I gotta think that if the collision is severe enough, you are better off with an airbag rather than not. The annual highway death tolls per mile driven have been lower since the introduction of airbags. It all depends upon what sort of crash you are going to have, and of course you don't know that in advance.

It reminds me of the debate as to where is the safest place to sit in a plane. Everytime there is a plane crash, and media images show that part of the plane is intact and had survivors, more reservations are made for those seats than other parts of the plane. Said one air safety expert: "Tell me what type of crash you're going to have, and I'll tell you where to sit".
Old 12-10-05, 12:01 PM
ATL-SC
Lead Lap

that is why the later model cars have 2 stage air bags

Quick Reply: no more airbag hoorah!