SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Buying A High Mileage SC300. Whats Your Luck?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-05, 12:45 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Buying A High Mileage SC300. Whats Your Luck?

For all you guys who purchased an older model or higher mileage SC300 because it is affordable, whats your luck on the maintenance? Im totally stressing out with the one I just bought.
I just bought a one owner, clean title 1992 SC300 w/ 135k miles for $5250. The interior was almost spotless and had all the maintenance records.

Even so, after I researched the records, there are much left to be done. Here are some

1. Alignment (because it pulls to the right)
2. Transmission Flush (because it shifts hard)
3. Serpentine Belt and Tensioner (recommended by the dealer tech but was declined by owner. belt appears worn and tensioner does get noisey)
4. Motor and Transmission Mounts
5. Water Pump (never replaced in spite of the timing belt and radiator getting replaced)
6. Crank and Cam Seals (I have no idea but it was also recommended by the tech who did the timing belt due to a leakage. I dont see anything severe)
7. Spark Plugs (last replaced at 60k)

At this point, Im stressed Im stressed to the point where I wish I bought a GSR or something and just bear with a 4cyl FWD.
Old 05-17-05, 12:57 AM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

aww hell no..you said GSR!
Those sound like things you can take care of along the way. YOUR car is not even High Mileage! For a 92 model that is low to average. My car is a 93 with over 225k miles on it. That is way more than what you have. I am the proud third owner and even since I bought it all I really had to do was:
-Change the drive belt
-Change Oil
-Change Spark plugs
-Change air filter
-Change battery

..and thats it. Ive had no other problem along the way. But what else could use some replacement? How about the Valve cover gasket. Or the drive belt tensioner. And maybe the spark plug wires. The mounts are bad too but its common. I'll take care of it when I pull my motor out. So yeah..No need to stress so much. Dont worry..be happy.
Old 05-17-05, 06:32 AM
KoSC300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL, 135k high mileage? i bought mine about a month ago at 202k... now thats high mileage. Like Jspec said, 135k i'd say is about average or a little below it. Cant really tell you much about mine cause its not on the road yet. Sitting in shop waiting to get bodywork/accident fixed. Should be starting this month though. Schools over by tonight!... I think i saw a thread about changing the serpentine belt, just do a search for it. I think T.L.W. wrote it, looked really easy and supposedly only takes minutes to complete. Im sure you can do searchs for most of the other things as well.
Old 05-17-05, 06:45 AM
MyScRuNmIa
Pole Position

Be happy man most of us wich we had that type of mileage on our cars, i have a 92 with 220,000 miles an all i have had to replace is timeing belt,sprak plugs an wires i dident have to i kust did it for me, an then ......yes my bigest expence on the car i have to put in gas lol, be happy man you got your self a good car
Old 05-17-05, 07:04 AM
SoarinSC
Rookie

Originally Posted by xknowonex
At this point, Im stressed Im stressed to the point where I wish I bought a GSR or something and just bear with a 4cyl FWD.
thats what it takes to own a high mileage lex. shoulda stuck with the GSR if you didn't know what you were gettin into!
Old 05-17-05, 10:45 AM
ObjectZero
Rookie

haaaaa

you think a timing belt on an SC300 might be hard....you should try it on a B series honda motor. it SUCKS. The timing belt goes around a motor mount. Be happy you have a lexus...there are enough integras out there to get lost in shuffle. You build a nice SC and no one will forget it. Thats why i got one.

you build a car that no one else does...and everyone will remember it.
Old 05-17-05, 11:05 AM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Regardless of which car you get, eventually, you have to maintain it. Nothing is built on a car that will last forever. And yes, the SC coupe is painstakingly expensive to upkeep. But I personally think it is worth it since I have a very reliable and great looking vehicle, despite it's age. I have a 400 that just surpassed the 288K mark and it just went in the shop again for its 3rd alternator and Power Steering Pump!
I keep paying to fix it simply because it has never left me stranded on the road(*Knocks on wood*). Everytime something goes bad, I'm never driving. I can't see myself driving any other car, honestly. You chose an SC over an Integra, so you must have that unique taste like I do...

Just sit down and think it all out. Figure what fits your budget now and take care of these issues one by one...you'll be alright....
Old 05-17-05, 11:31 AM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Well I guess mine is low mileage at 104k
Old 05-17-05, 11:44 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

I really like the refinement of it and the suspension setup- rwd double-wish bone all around. It has a classy look and people usually look at me, i should say my car, when I pull up at the light. Its only a bonestock metallic red SC300 with the ugly chrome multispoke wheels.

Hopefully it'll be like a nice new luxury car once all the maintenance stuff gets takin cared of.

"Change Spark plugs"

Thats gonna me a major pain in the butt.

"Battery"
I got an Optima Yellow Top laying around from my old car
Old 05-26-05, 03:05 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Old 05-26-05, 03:24 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

the spark plugs aren't bad, just have some patience with the EGR system.

Motor mounts & tranny mounts are definately more involved, but after 135k, I'm guessing you'll need them.

It looks like you got cloth interior... now that's rare!

Post some more pics!
Old 05-26-05, 04:02 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

135K isn't even broken in yet. Those are just minor maintainace repairs, don't worry.

There's probably only a few SC's in America with cloth, and you got one.
Old 05-26-05, 04:08 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Mine had about 139k when I bought it but I had a 1jz swap so no issues here
Old 05-26-05, 04:10 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

I would love to do a 1jz swap because it is way more affordable then a 2jz-gte. Too bad its hard to smog here in California
Old 05-26-05, 04:26 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xknowonex
1. Alignment (because it pulls to the right)
2. Transmission Flush (because it shifts hard)
3. Serpentine Belt and Tensioner (recommended by the dealer tech but was declined by owner. belt appears worn and tensioner does get noisey)
4. Motor and Transmission Mounts
5. Water Pump (never replaced in spite of the timing belt and radiator getting replaced)
6. Crank and Cam Seals (I have no idea but it was also recommended by the tech who did the timing belt due to a leakage. I dont see anything severe)
7. Spark Plugs (last replaced at 60k)

Dude, seriously...it appears that you're in over your head. If you're already stressin' about these minor things then you will ALWAYS be stressin' with this car because it will always need something minor...I need a new steering rack ($200), motor and tranny mounts ($200), tranny flush ($80), rear main seal and oil pan gasket ($500), and a bunch of other misc. things...but I knew going in that this would cost me some money to maintain. It seems like you got this car and thought you could spend "vw bug money" to keep it up and make it hot, doesn't work that way unfortunately...everything you're going through most of us have already gone through and continue to go through each day. You need to reexamine your finances and see if this really is the car for you.

Quick Reply: Buying A High Mileage SC300. Whats Your Luck?