SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Aftermarket ignitions

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-01, 08:34 PM
bigguy SC3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Has anyone out there installed an aftermarket ignition on their SC, such as a MSD or Jacobs. I have a 93 Sc300 and am thinking of upgrading but would like to know if it is worth it. Thanks for any input hopefully see some of you at the S. Cal meet on the 18th.
Old 05-10-01, 05:21 AM
lxxxs
Driver

i put the crane digital ignition on mine, it awsome really smoothes everything out. especially at wot and even a little better gas milleage. i think
Old 05-10-01, 07:38 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Ignition Systems

I have a couple of Mallory HYFire IV's left over from my racing days. I never even thought to put one of them on my SC. Anyone have an electrical schematic of our ignition sys? I'll drop that thing in, in a heartbeat. Those things are like gold for smoothing out the idle and keeping the car pulling at top end!

I haven't even popped the hood to see how easy it would be; but "Lxxxs"; what color wires did you tap off of for the coil - what was "+" and what was "Com". Did you upgrade the coil too? Let us know.

Keith
Old 05-10-01, 10:20 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're benefitial in gas mileage and smoothness on turbo engines. Mine (MSD 6BTM) fires the plugs twice on each power stroke when the engine is below a certain RPM. It can also do a boost retard to prevent detonation on boosted cars.

If you're expecting more power, look elsewhere.
Old 05-10-01, 10:27 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Question

SCott, what about on the SC4?
Old 05-10-01, 10:39 AM
mdfdsc300
Pole Position

Many moons ago I had installed an HKS twin ignition on my '90 NA Supra. It had an adjustment **** w/ LED indicator such that you turn it until the LED lit solid at idle. I wasn't expecting to notice much, but was very surprised to see how it made the car have better low-end throttle response and better top end.
I noticed that the SC300 has a separate ignition box that's pretty accessible. If anyone has had real hands-on experience with an aftermarket coil on their SCs I'd be very interested to know their setup.
Old 05-10-01, 04:56 PM
mindflux
Pole Position

Ikon, you need two complete systems for the SC400...this car has two distributors, two coils, well you get it...it's a dual system.

Mind
Old 05-10-01, 07:15 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You will need two separate systems plus tach adapters or else the car won't even start.

Todd M.
TM Engineering
http://www.tmengineering.net

Old 05-10-01, 08:48 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

So, do you think the oem is the best for the SC4? Or would an after market unit "really" help the SC4?(better gas mileage, response, etc..)

Tach adapters, 2 units...Hmmmm Sound like a little work! and kinda costly$$$

But, would it be worth IYO..

"Double Whoosh" Damn your car is fast....

How is the MDS ignition?
How much did it run?
Do you have a TC?

Last edited by The Ikon; 05-10-01 at 10:04 PM.
Old 05-10-01, 11:35 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes you'd need two coils, two msd boxes and two of their adapter modules to get it all to work.

Ignition upgrades don't really make a noticeable difference unless there's something wrong with your stock parts, but as with anything, it's part of the whole package and if you want everything to run its best then you probably should upgrade. Of course, the cost is somewhat expensive. The wiring isn't too too bad and you can mount the units on the air duct shield in front of the radiator which makes the wire runs pretty convenient also.

Our in-house project car ran 12 flat without any tuning at high altitude and in 90+ degree weather, with some jet tuning etc at a normal altitude track like pomona I'm sure it would have gone 11.60-11.80 at 116-118 or so. This was just phase I of the project though, so there was no use maximizing every tenth at that point. The car is undergoing some other more serious modifications at this point and should debut at the SEMA show in Vegas or the Nopi event in Atlanta. It will also be used at CES in Vegas in January, so watch for it! For now I can't really tell you what is being done to the car, but it will be like nothing you have ever seen before for sure!

That first phase was with a completely stock engine and transmission, only a direct port nitrous setup and slicks. The nitrous system was pretty complex though, a separate 6psi fuel system was utilized with carbureted jetting specs. With the weight of the car and the trap speeds, the car was making in the neighborhood of 500hp, which isn't bad for the minimal amount of work that was done to it.

We've done the ignition on a few cars, no complaints!
Old 05-11-01, 01:17 PM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

DoubleWhoosh;

I most likely will install my ignition boxes. I have 2 Mallory Hyfire IV's and 2 Mallory Promaster coils. What adaptors will I need? Any wiring instructions, or are the adaptors "Plug and play". Will the ignition box fry a stock Lexus coil or should I just shut up and do it right the first time and drop the coils in too.

Thanks,

Keith

P.S. Ignition sys's make a stock car smoother, but if you have any mods, their impact is noticable; especially w/ NOS.
Old 05-11-01, 01:49 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Question D.W.

What about cost?
Old 05-11-01, 03:34 PM
mindflux
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Todd's the man!
Old 05-12-01, 07:30 PM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question so the answer is?

Ok so for the SC300 where do I get one, what exactly do I need and how much? This sounds like a must have.
Old 05-13-01, 02:45 AM
banking
Rookie

Post aftermarket ignitions

I have heard from several lexus techs that on the sc400 ignitions they bascially told me to leave it alone unless you're using nos or sc/turbo. They could be right or they could be wrong who knows. In my sc it works fine for me w/my little setup compared to everyone on this site. I need to catch up w/the big boys(all of you guys).

Banking

Quick Reply: Aftermarket ignitions