SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Seatbelt alternatives for my shredded belt?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-04, 05:16 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seatbelt alternatives for my shredded belt?

Ok, basically I'm a short person and the seatbelt in my car is not height adjustable. I bought one of those clip-on things that attaches to the lap belt that lets you adjust where the shoulder belt falls across your torso.

Long story short, the clip shredded my lap belt and now I need a new seatbelt. Since an OEM replacement would put me back where I started (with a seatbelt that drives me insane), what alternatives do I have?

I found this "4-point-passenger" seatbelt from Wesco, which looks like a perfect solution to my problem. Anybody have any opinions about the quality of this product or the safety of the mounting technique?

http://store.yahoo.net/wescoperformance/am4point.html

Ral
Old 12-15-04, 06:41 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

fix your seat belt and sit on a cushion?

that would look very out of place in a stock car...IMO...
Old 12-15-04, 06:52 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally use racing harness because my seatbelts look like complete they have been rubbed in mud and i just happen to like the secure feeling. The use of certain 4 pt harness and other racing harnesses vary in discussion. Some like it, some find it annoying.... it's subjective.

Personally it would save you money compared to getting OEM belts. DOT approved harnesses are better just in case you get pulled over. Brands like Simpson are approved for street use.

Last edited by kaotiq; 12-15-04 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-16-04, 03:11 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

Originally posted by kaotiq
I personally use racing harness because my seatbelts look like complete they have been rubbed in mud and i just happen to like the secure feeling. The use of certain 4 pt harness and other racing harnesses vary in discussion. Some like it, some find it annoying.... it's subjective.
Well, the diagonal shoulder belt annoys me beyond belief, so the 4-point belt seems like it would be more comfortable for me. I don't object to racing harnesses, per se, but I don't think my car has the proper mounts for it, and finding them in compatible colors (I have a tan interior) isn't that easy.

DOT approved harnesses are better just in case you get pulled over. Brands like Simpson are approved for street use.
*scribbling* DOT...approved...manufacturer. Check. Thanks.
Old 12-16-04, 04:41 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by RalAegidius
Well, the diagonal shoulder belt annoys me beyond belief, so the 4-point belt seems like it would be more comfortable for me. I don't object to racing harnesses, per se, but I don't think my car has the proper mounts for it, and finding them in compatible colors (I have a tan interior) isn't that easy.

*scribbling* DOT...approved...manufacturer. Check. Thanks.
I do know that quite a few companies make the belts in black such as sparco and simpson. Willans might come in black as well. Cops have driven next to me and looked at my harnesses before only to comment with "wow you look strapped tight into that seat" or "are those comfy?"

I'm sure you can get away with non street use harnesses
Old 12-20-04, 10:29 AM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

Ok, so my next question is: Can you mount a racing harness or a 4-point harness to an OEM seat? I like my seats the way they are and don't particularly want to buy a racing seat or a rollbar.
Old 12-20-04, 02:22 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RalAegidius
Ok, so my next question is: Can you mount a racing harness or a 4-point harness to an OEM seat? I like my seats the way they are and don't particularly want to buy a racing seat or a rollbar.

you most definitely can.
Old 12-20-04, 02:47 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kaotiq
I do know that quite a few companies make the belts in black such as sparco and simpson. Willans might come in black as well. Cops have driven next to me and looked at my harnesses before only to comment with "wow you look strapped tight into that seat" or "are those comfy?"

I'm sure you can get away with non street use harnesses
The Schroth ralleye line of Harneses are DOT approved as well. This is what I use.
Old 12-21-04, 09:22 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

I would just buy brand new oem seatbelts. They are very comfortable, light, and transparent compared to your old 12 year old ones...
Old 12-22-04, 06:06 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lex400sc
I would just buy brand new oem seatbelts. They are very comfortable, light, and transparent compared to your old 12 year old ones...
Please see my post above concerning me being short and the OEM seatbelt not fitting me comfortably.