SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Pure White Cold Cathode Climate Control

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-09, 07:39 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

No, the input voltage is only 12 volts plus/minus 10% which is too low for a running vehicle voltage which is typically as high as 14.4 volts.

It would probably be fine. Just letting you know that cars do not run at 12 volts.

I don't have my wiring diagram in front of me but if I recall at all (this was 5 years ago) the illum circuit is a green wire with a white or yellow stripe? OLT should know this.

Just take a test light or DMM to verify which it is.
Old 02-27-09, 08:09 AM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CleanSC
No, the input voltage is only 12 volts plus/minus 10% which is too low for a running vehicle voltage which is typically as high as 14.4 volts.

It would probably be fine. Just letting you know that cars do not run at 12 volts.

I don't have my wiring diagram in front of me but if I recall at all (this was 5 years ago) the illum circuit is a green wire with a white or yellow stripe? OLT should know this.

Just take a test light or DMM to verify which it is.
Thanks! Tried searching for an inverter with 12V with + - 20% and couldn't find any. Or maybe I should just go with a 24V?

So you just discarded all the white plastic casing the bulbs and used the CCFL's feet to mount on to the board right?
Old 02-27-09, 08:28 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mr2tosc4
Thanks! Tried searching for an inverter with 12V with + - 20% and couldn't find any. Or maybe I should just go with a 24V?

So you just discarded all the white plastic casing the bulbs and used the CCFL's feet to mount on to the board right?
I'd just go with the 12 volt inverter. Should be fine.

Yup, toss all white plastic as they are just lightpipes. I didn't have feet on my tubes so I made foam rubber bases. Whatever keeps them cushioned.

See post #2. See the black foam discs? Cushy.
Old 02-27-09, 08:43 AM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

great info, one last question, did you have to use a solder wik to remove the solder from the lcd? i have a solder sucker would that be sufficient? i haven't soldered in 10 years and I don't want to make a mess. thanks jose!
Old 02-27-09, 11:17 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

You are trying to desolder the LCD?

Has a replacement screen come out within the last 5 years my out-of-touch *** hasn't heard of?

Brush up on your soldering skills before you tackle that one. Not sure which method would work best. Try each and see which you like better.
Old 02-27-09, 11:46 AM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CleanSC
You are trying to desolder the LCD?

Has a replacement screen come out within the last 5 years my out-of-touch *** hasn't heard of?

Brush up on your soldering skills before you tackle that one. Not sure which method would work best. Try each and see which you like better.

I'm not sure how long the replacement LCD's been on ebay but ever since I bought my sc in '07 it's been there already. I have it and I also think OLT saw an actual one from a customer too. It looks exactly like OEM The guy selling it has been making a killing out of it with no one else offering it.
Old 11-09-09, 09:48 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bumping an old thread from the dead for some info. Where can I get white cold cathode light tubes from in this size 160mm or 6" ??????? Pleas anyone i tried searching google n stuff but nothing
Old 11-09-09, 01:40 PM
RjBLayz
Lexus Test Driver

nice mod
Old 07-26-13, 04:17 PM
vegasgs400
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love to bring back old threads
I have everything in place, let me tell u this, I LOVE IT ALREADY.

I have to ask CleanSC, where did u connect the power of those lights? this is because, I want FULL power to the lightsduring day time, and less than full or may be half power during night time. i do not want those lights disturb me when i am driving at night, because IT IS BRIGHT !!

Is factory setting of climate control lights will dim when parking light turned on? If not, i may wire the power brick to the hazard light if factory setting will keep the same voltage to the climate control light no matter day and night time.
Old 07-26-13, 09:57 PM
Shayy
Intermediate

Received 132 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by vegasgs400
Love to bring back old threads
I have everything in place, let me tell u this, I LOVE IT ALREADY.

I have to ask CleanSC, where did u connect the power of those lights? this is because, I want FULL power to the lightsduring day time, and less than full or may be half power during night time. i do not want those lights disturb me when i am driving at night, because IT IS BRIGHT !!

Is factory setting of climate control lights will dim when parking light turned on? If not, i may wire the power brick to the hazard light if factory setting will keep the same voltage to the climate control light no matter day and night time.
I tried this and failed. ^^^How did you wire it up?? I didn't want to revive an old thread and ask the original people from 2004 because I wasn't sure if they'd still be on the forums. I've had the two 160mm, white, cold cathodes sitting in my room since like 2 years ago, haha. My climate lights have been out for years. I'd love someone to explain the wiring of this thoroughly so someone of my wiring experience could achieve it as well! I'm guessing you wired them to the inverter somehow, which was wired to a 12v?

Last edited by Shayy; 07-26-13 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Measurement typo
Old 07-26-13, 10:44 PM
vegasgs400
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, those CFLs come with 12v inverter. i just need to plug it to a power source that can provide power when the car is started. my ideas is the source i mentioned before. the only thing is, can this inverter capable dim the CFLs when parking lights is on. i guess i will find out this weekend.
Old 09-09-13, 01:22 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

I wired mine into the parking light circuit. So it's full brightness at night. It's a little bright, but nothing dangerous or horribly distracting.

As far as I know these are not dimmable. If you want to do that, I suggest going with an led matrix that you'll need to custom fab up yourself. It's been many years since I originally designed this and led's have come a long way. If I was doing it all over again, LED for sure.

Good luck!
Old 09-09-13, 05:04 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Its great to see an old thread still come back to life. I am glad to hear that the lighting is still holding up... I just redid some of my interior lighting to a brighter LED. MO better now!!!
Old 04-13-14, 12:26 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Interested in this mod! So glad you guys have already done this. I googled SC300 lighting and found this thread!!! Subscribing for sure.

O.P, do you have any recent pics of your dashboard with these? Thanks in advance

-Mike
Old 04-14-14, 10:43 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Too much work. Can get the same results with LED.

www.taninautoelectronix.com

Quick Reply: Pure White Cold Cathode Climate Control