SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

are 1992 sc safe cars?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-04, 03:38 AM
djjf0606
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are 1992 sc safe cars?

I was wondering if anyone had information on whether or not 1992 sc are safe cars? i used the search button but nothing came up.

-jon
Old 04-18-04, 11:23 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Lexus SC, in general, is a very safe car....

Both your driver and passenger side doors weigh a ton... It takes a considerable amount of strength to close both doors respectively.....If someone decides to T-bone your car, the doors will probably save you...This isn't your average chinese food take out box...

The front nose of the SC is so long that a front impact collision wouldn't get to you or your passengers, unless you are going 80mph and decide to hit a wall dead on....Remember, friends don't let friends drink and drive...

If a gas wasting, road hogging Hummer decides to rear end you at 50 mph while your standing still at a red light...You better run quick since the gas tank is right behind the rear seats...

All 1992 SC vehicles don't come with passenger side airbags. So if you decide to drive under the influence because your girlfriend lefted you for another woman then I wouldn't want to be on the passenger side of the vehicle...

Good Day...

Last edited by One HoT SC400; 04-18-04 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-18-04, 12:03 PM
Thomas C
Lead Lap

Well, I have a 92 SC and its alot more sturdier than my previous Honda Accord. Truthfully, the sheetmetal on a Honda is so delicate that I remember someone just leaning on a Del Sol and it getting dented. So I would say, that other than the fact that its missing a passenger airbag, its built with quality and refinement and I feel more safe in it than other cars newer than 2000 that I've sat it.
Old 04-18-04, 12:35 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

I walked away from an accident in my 92 SC. Ran into the side of a truck at 35mph. I did shatter my left hand but that was a freak thing. If I'd been in my Eclipse, they would have needed a spatula to scrape me out of that car. Starting in 95, they put side impact beams in the doors so they are even safer.

Last edited by Vegassc400; 04-18-04 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-18-04, 12:53 PM
Philly#1 Lex
Lead Lap

One hot that was pretty funny

Philly
Old 04-18-04, 04:16 PM
djjf0606
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the replys. i just want to make sure that the sc is car to have as a daily driver
Old 04-18-04, 05:20 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i knocked down a farily big tree when my brake vacuum line decided to fail, and all I got was a small crack on the front bumper. (going @ 40 mph)
Old 04-18-04, 06:33 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts

this topic is very important, there are some crazy drivers out there on the roads, especially with today's monster SUV's, I just watched dateline nbc & they had the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety rating recent vehicles for side impact crashes, most of them all were poor (I think these were lower end models costing 18M to 22M. They were basically saying that these models offered side air bags/curtain side bags but they were optional costing like 600.00 extra bucks. The guy from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety said that extra 600.00 bucks could save someone's life from head injury from glass or a big truck or SUV.

Guys, I know I've read how the SC's doors are big & heavy & that helps protect, plus the extra protection they added in 1997 model year. The SC300/400 cost alot of money back then so they had to be built better, right?

I'm really close to getting my first SC 400 either 98 or 99 model, it's not going to stop me from buying cause I love this car but part of me is a little concerned about getting hit from the side. Re-assure me guys. Why didn't Lexus put side bags in the later model years, they had to be possible? Should I be concerned?
Old 04-18-04, 07:19 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Lexus didn't put the side airbags on SCs back in 1997/1998 probably because the sales was falling and it simply didn't see a good reason to further refine this sport coupe.

Also, back then the new SC's development was underway and at the same time, Lexus was focusing on other models such as the upcoming RX and therefore, SC suffered from neglect from its maker.

Notice not even the 1999-2000 SCs came with HIDs or navigation system as standard or optional equipments. These cars sold new for $50k+ back then.

Jon

Originally posted by XanaduSC
this topic is very important, there are some crazy drivers out there on the roads, especially with today's monster SUV's, I just watched dateline nbc & they had the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety rating recent vehicles for side impact crashes, most of them all were poor (I think these were lower end models costing 18M to 22M. They were basically saying that these models offered side air bags/curtain side bags but they were optional costing like 600.00 extra bucks. The guy from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety said that extra 600.00 bucks could save someone's life from head injury from glass or a big truck or SUV.

Guys, I know I've read how the SC's doors are big & heavy & that helps protect, plus the extra protection they added in 1997 model year. The SC300/400 cost alot of money back then so they had to be built better, right?

I'm really close to getting my first SC 400 either 98 or 99 model, it's not going to stop me from buying cause I love this car but part of me is a little concerned about getting hit from the side. Re-assure me guys. Why didn't Lexus put side bags in the later model years, they had to be possible? Should I be concerned?

Last edited by Baby ///M3; 04-18-04 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-18-04, 09:28 PM
Millatyme
Lead Lap

SC=S ports Coupe .......... SC=S afe Car

Old 04-18-04, 10:00 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Hold up pretty well for no side impact bars...
Attached Thumbnails are 1992 sc safe cars?-sc400zi.jpg  
Old 04-18-04, 10:03 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

I wouldn't even worry about getting hit front or back either, it'd take a lot of force for another object to hit the driver (who is dead-centered in the middle of the car) from either end. If something hits you from behind hard enough to fold the rear chassis and subframe into the gas tank and cause a gas explosion, you'll already be dead from a snapped neck or liquified brain. Again, no side impact bars...
Attached Thumbnails are 1992 sc safe cars?-sc400zp.jpg  
Old 04-19-04, 12:15 AM
Enzo
Driver School Candidate

I got T-boned on the passenger side at 45mph. Hit me right in the middle of the door. I got spun real good and was shaken up for a sec but had no injuries at all......and not one piece of glass was broken on the car. That still trips me out. From inside the car you could not tell it was wrecked. Strong car :-)
Old 04-19-04, 12:42 AM
Aznteazer
Lexus Test Driver

i got T-boned from some idiot car that was accelerating out of a parking lot. he hit me from the front and dragged the hit all the way to the rear . i just got minor aches.
Old 04-19-04, 10:06 AM
BAZ
Pole Position

One of the closest things to a tank!! I got hit once in the rear! & was'nt actually sure i had been hit? But when i got out of the car, you should have seen the car that rear ended me! it just literally spewed its guts onto the floor!! mine had a cracked bumper.....what a comfort that was to know..
But your not gonna like this guy's, after much searchin, i found the SC400 was NEVER crashed tested in the US!!! weird or wot. This was because i was trying to conform my soarer here [US] & needed the specs/data.Had all this info a long time ago,can't remember all of it!!

Quick Reply: are 1992 sc safe cars?