SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Changing fog light bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-08, 03:41 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Changing fog light bulbs

I'm stuck on how to change the H3 fog light bulbs for my '95 SC. I jacked up the car and looked underneath, and it's all enclosed. I removed 7-8 screws from the cover directly underneath the fog light housing, and it's still attached to the undercarriage (I didn't want to use any force, in fear of snapping it).

I do not have a copy of the owner's manual, and I'd appreciate it if someone would scan the instructions and send them to me (if that information is actually in the manual). Also did a search on the forums and yielded no results. Thanks for your help!
Old 09-17-08, 04:06 PM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now assuming that you're from Southern California and that this is the "Felix" I think it is...I may be able to physically help you change your foglight bulbs...I recently had to change mine, so I can probably help you out...send me a PM.
Old 09-17-08, 06:49 PM
PecosBill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know how big of an opening you have in your front bumper but in mine I have enough space to reach through the front bumper to reach behind the lamp.
Also, if you remove enough screws to pull the undercover down enough for you to reach your arm up in there you can do it that way. It has a rubber cover that you twist off, and the bulb is held in by a metal clamp.
Old 09-17-08, 07:35 PM
DarkManXXX
Rookie

When I do mine, I took the center undercarriage cover off, then one for each side. At this point you can either just take the entire fog light off, or just replace the bulb while its still on. I found taking the whole thing off made it easier, but I was installing HID fogs .
Old 09-17-08, 08:35 PM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

I find it alot easier to just remove both headlights first, and just work your way down from there...The foglights are alot easier to reach from there.
Old 09-17-08, 09:46 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CrazySC300
Now assuming that you're from Southern California and that this is the "Felix" I think it is...I may be able to physically help you change your foglight bulbs...I recently had to change mine, so I can probably help you out...send me a PM.
Nope, I live up in Northern California (Sacramento area). Thanks for the offer though.

Is removing the headlight assembly a difficult process?
Old 09-18-08, 08:38 AM
PecosBill
Lexus Test Driver

I recommend DarkMan's process. If you havent taken the headlights out before you might find it a lil tricky and time consuming.
Old 09-18-08, 09:53 AM
SC30096
Pole Position

I do the same method as crazy. to remove the headlight there are 2 nuts and 1 screw that needs to be removed.
step 1: depending on what side its burnt out turn the wheel all the way over so its easier to access the inner fender liner in the front wheel. remove the screws along the outter side i believe they are 10mm then pull it back so you can get the the 2nuts holding the headlights in place. shine a light in there and you should be able to see them. then theres one under the hood. disconnect the bulbs and it should slide out. be careful not to scratch your paint.

Step 2:I find it easier to just pull the whole foglight out then work with it after. so remove the 2 nuts at the back and the one on the top then push it out from behind. then just unlatch the bulb and reconnect the new one. make sure you remember to reconnect the ground wire. then reverse to install.
Old 09-18-08, 10:19 AM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Fog Light Removal

The way I changed the fog light bulb was:

1. Take a few of the bolt to the front fenders' splash guard off, pull the splash guard back and wedge it against the front tire. Use a flashlight to locate the fog light casing.

2. The fog light will be enclosed, with a circular plastic cap. Turn it counter clock-wise to open the casing.

3. This will give you access to the bulb and socket. In the casing is a white plastic, the bulbs wire fits snug into the socket. I had to wiggle and tug, until I disconnected the wire.

4. Note there is a clasp holding the bulb in place do not open the clasp. Disconnect the the bulb from the socket first...because the clasp keeps the bulb from dropping and getting in your way. To open the clasp, I believe you push down and it will unfasten.

5. When replacing the new bulb with a Holagen\ Xenon type of bulb DO NOT TOUCH THE GLASS with your hands it shortens the life of the bulb.
Old 09-18-08, 11:09 AM
SClean4
Lexus Test Driver

I've changed my fog light bulbs because they were both out when I got my car. I found that the hardest part is unscrewing the screws because you have to get your hand and arm in a tight area and awkward position.
Old 09-18-08, 03:38 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

I stopped by the school's auto shop once class got out, hoisted the SC300 on the lift, and changed out the fog light bulbs. I reconfigured everything how it was before, but they didn't turn on. I have the headlights on 'On' position and the fog light switched to 'On', but they're not working! Any ideas?

The product I'm using are yellow H3 55w bulbs I got off of eBay for $15. When I opened the packaging, I wasn't being careful enough and SLIGHTLY grazed both bulbs with the side of my finger. Could this be the culprit? Or perhaps the fuse? Or are some wires not connected?
Old 09-18-08, 03:39 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Teal Sc400
The way I changed the fog light bulb was:

1. Take a few of the bolt to the front fenders' splash guard off, pull the splash guard back and wedge it against the front tire. Use a flashlight to locate the fog light casing.

2. The fog light will be enclosed, with a circular plastic cap. Turn it counter clock-wise to open the casing.

3. This will give you access to the bulb and socket. In the casing is a white plastic, the bulbs wire fits snug into the socket. I had to wiggle and tug, until I disconnected the wire.

4. Note there is a clasp holding the bulb in place do not open the clasp. Disconnect the the bulb from the socket first...because the clasp keeps the bulb from dropping and getting in your way. To open the clasp, I believe you push down and it will unfasten.

5. When replacing the new bulb with a Holagen\ Xenon type of bulb DO NOT TOUCH THE GLASS with your hands it shortens the life of the bulb.
I wish I had these instructions when I changed them earlier. I'll print them out and use them tomorrow. Thanks!
Old 09-18-08, 09:41 PM
DarkManXXX
Rookie

If you've never changed the bulbs before, I would suggest you just take the whole fog out and look inside the thing so you know how everything works and what wires go where, so it makes it easier to do it blind. Knowing how things hook up makes a huge difference.
Old 09-20-08, 11:09 AM
SkunkWorks
Driver School Candidate

Uber stupid question but I just bought a 93 SC400 and I can't find the switch that turns the foglights on?

There are foglights on the bumper but absolutely no existence of a switch/button/toggle to turn it on. Where the hell is it?
Old 09-20-08, 01:26 PM
DarkManXXX
Rookie

On the turn signal.

Quick Reply: Changing fog light bulbs