Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

leak in car (help please!!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-03, 10:23 AM
Mr_PimP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leak in car (help please!!)

I came home from college...and the inside of my car was all fogged up. i checked the car, and found that there was a whole lot of water in the passenger back seat. So I did a little search on the forums, and talked to my uncle which is a toyota mechanic... i found on the forums that it might be because of a sunroof dranage clog, which corresponds with my uncle's explaination. Here are my problems:

1. there is alot of water soaked on the back side of the rear passenger side seat as shown in the pic..

2. why is there water soaked on this bottom part on both sides?

3. there is alot of water around here also... what is this pipe for?

4. main water lies here:

5. could there be multiple problems causing the leaks? is there anywhere i can buy a carpet for the car... cuz mine is drenched with water.

thanks fellas... any help would be great...
here is a pic of the car stripped:

Last edited by Mr_PimP; 12-02-03 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-02-03, 10:43 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

on every top corner of the car, there is drain line that connects to the sunroof assembly, make sure they are connected at each corner.

To check the 4 connections, you will have to drop the headliner at each corner.
Old 12-02-03, 05:17 PM
MrJohnTan
Lexus Champion

3. That pipe is an AC/heater vent for the rear. Its what they get when you set the climate control to the "feet" setting.
Old 12-03-03, 01:43 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, you really gutted your car. Did that on a Civic a while back, did you have to cut the carpet behind the console to get it out? Fun stuff.

If you want to replace the insulation\padding that I assume is on the underside of your carpet (it is probably moldy now) I've got extra. Check my thread in the audio classifieds. You can just have a roll if you think you need it.

I had to take all mine out because someone spilled like egg-drop soup or something. Worse than water by far and it had really had time to soak into the carpet. Nasty.

Hope you can stop that water! Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails leak in car (help please!!)-interior.jpg  
Old 12-03-03, 07:50 PM
jdmsoarer
Pole Position

Default ..

hey,
My 92 sc300 has the same problem with the water leaking at the bottom of the drivers side door (carpet). What could be causing this??

Thanks anyone,
Ryan
Old 12-03-03, 08:59 PM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

Make sure the drain holes at the bottom of your doors are clean ,also if you have axcess to a compressor blow air thru the drain holes after you open the sun roof.
Old 12-04-03, 09:35 AM
MoogieBoogie
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar problem with the Supra. It happened everytime I used the air conditioning. I jacked up the car and stuck a wire up the drain hose, and all this water came out. Never had the problem again. Maybe you have a clogged drain hose somewhere.
Old 12-04-03, 09:40 AM
95BlackSC
Pole Position

I'm having a similar problem, but with my stereo. I've got all the hoses sealed in the trunk, (which still gets a tiny bit of water in but not a puddle like before) yet somehow water is still getting in somewhere when it rains hard, making the stereo not work. What are some other places to seal off? Does the headliner just pop on and off? How do you get it off?
Thanks,
Zac
Old 12-04-03, 10:51 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might be (probably is) the seal on a rear tail-lamp (trunk runoff channel right above it). I heard you can use the backing from an old mousepad to cut out and make a new custom seal. Need to do that on the Honda, too.

Originally posted by 95BlackSC
I'm having a similar problem, but with my stereo. I've got all the hoses sealed in the trunk, (which still gets a tiny bit of water in but not a puddle like before) yet somehow water is still getting in somewhere when it rains hard, making the stereo not work. What are some other places to seal off? Does the headliner just pop on and off? How do you get it off?
Thanks,
Zac
Old 12-04-03, 07:46 PM
95BlackSC
Pole Position

Originally posted by Pianoman72
Might be (probably is) the seal on a rear tail-lamp (trunk runoff channel right above it). I heard you can use the backing from an old mousepad to cut out and make a new custom seal. Need to do that on the Honda, too.
I've went over that whole inside edge with silicon II sealant, it barely drips now. Is this caused by water getting in the amp itself or wiring?
Old 12-07-03, 09:35 AM
sctrd
Driver School Candidate

I have the same problem and found where the leak was coming from.It was coming from the top of the window,where the body meets the glass.Looks like rust was building up and seperating the glass seal.The water was traveling down the headliner and then down the pillar where it meets the dash,then down to the carpet.I gonna take it in and have the glass cut out and fix the rust area...dammm ...But it's better then smelling that damp odor.. ..

Last edited by sctrd; 12-09-03 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-09-03, 07:09 AM
LexusBiz
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If anyone knows the solution to this, I would greatly appreciate it. I've got the same damp carpet trim under the speakers on the door trim. As well as the damp carpet underneath the floor mats and occasionaly if it rains really hard, I get the damp carpet under the mats in the rear.

I've tried several things now, and still getting rain inside. I've replaced the rubber weatherstipping around the window and the piece on the lower window outter edge. I've checked the drain plugs on the bottom of the door, clean and debri free. I've checked the sunroof drain tubes, as far as I could tell they seem to be in place and unobstructed.

I'm left baffled as to why both the carpet trim piece on the door and the carpet underneath the mats get wet. I could understand the trim piece on the door getting wet if I had a leak coming from somewhere around the door. Or I could understand the carpet underneath the mats getting wet if a sunroof drain plug was clogged. But the fact that all the surronding carpet (door trim piece and under the mat) is getting wet at the same time throws me for a loop as to where the water is coming from.

If anyone has any ideas or further suggestions, please let us know. I know several, if not alot, of members are suffering from this syndrome.

Thanks
LexusBiz
Old 12-09-03, 09:25 AM
sctrd
Driver School Candidate

LexusBiz try taking off the pillar moulding and headliner clips on the side thats leaking,then have someone pour water down the sunroof and window area while you look between the headliner and roof area.Hopefully the leaking area will show up,the headliner has a kind of channel that directs the water to the pillar area and then down to the floor.....Hope you find that leak
Old 12-09-03, 04:19 PM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

Default water leak in back seat floor board

I am having water leaking into my 92 SC with a sun roof. The water is showing up in my back seat foot wells, drivers side and pass. side. I also am having a hell of time finding the leak. Anybody find the magic bullet to this problem?
Old 12-10-03, 05:46 AM
LexusBiz
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the info SCTRD!!! I'll have to do some more detailed investigation into the sunroof drainage pipes.

Question for you? If the sunroof drain pipe is the culprint, how is the water seeping into the carpet trim on the driver and passenger side door (carpet trim on door trim right underneath the speakers) as in the second picture posted by Mr Pimp. I could imagine if water was leaking in from the sunroof drain pipes it would soak the carpet under the floor mat area, but how does it get up into the side of the door?

This water leak has baffled me for quit some time now

Keep the good info coming

Thanks
LexusBiz

Quick Reply: leak in car (help please!!)