SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Is your SC a magnet for dings, scratches, accidents, etc. like mine is?

Old 10-12-03, 10:34 PM
HD-GS4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is your SC a magnet for dings, scratches, accidents, etc. like mine is?

I have owned my black SC400 for almost a year now. In that short amount of time, I have had multiple people inflict damage on my vehicle. I have never had a vehicle attract so much unwanted attention.

1. While gassing up my SC, an idiot in an SUV backs up over the front of my car! The crunch and scraping sound was sickening. I wanted to kill the idiot. It did almost 1K in damages, all paid for by his insurance.

2. While sitting in my car eating lunch one day, some fat chick gets out of her car and just flings her door open and dings the side of my SC. My engine was running and everything. Can't imagine how she could be so blind. I couldn't see any damages at the time, but when I got home- I was able to find a slight ding.

3. Multiple deep door dings on both passenger and drivers side. Unfortunately, I wasn't in the vehicle at the time.

4. The other day, I open up my garage door. Just then, the 8 year old girl from next door ghost rides her scooter inside my garage, and into the back of my SC. Leaves several deep scratches that can't be repaired without repainting the entire rear bumper. I go get her mom, but the girl denies it at first. A few minutes later, she fessed up. I showed the mother the damage, and she's like "so, where was your car parked when this happened", as though that is somehow going to help her cause. I told her "right here in my garage"... "Oh", she says. Anyway, the next day, I got a bid from a reputable shop that did the repair on my car from damage #1 above. Total cost: $354.00. She keeps telling me that her husband will get in touch with me, but I haven't seen or heard from the jerk. I'm just waiting for what he'll try to pull. I bet he'll try to tell me that he has a brother with a shop out West in the bad part of town, that can do it for half that, etc. I just won't stand for that. I have a nice car, and I take good care of it. Any ideas on what to do if the guy starts acting stupid?

Any ideas on how to prevent people who drive crappy cars that they don't care about, from damaging our beautiful SC's?

Last edited by blacksc4; 10-12-03 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10-12-03, 10:51 PM
MikeysSC
Lead Lap

Angry

I feel ya man. . My passenger side door is a mess. . .multiply door dings . . left side. . quaterpanel . . some idiot ran into my car. . and left with no note then last week i found a door think right behind the driver side headlight . . . now i just park very far away with no cars around. . but yea about the husband. . if he doesnt cough up the dough .. or you dont see any progress. . just sue the bastards!
Old 10-13-03, 06:57 AM
cabrera
Driver

Thumbs down Sad but true

Mean people suck. (taken from bumper sticker)

I also saw a Cadillac known to be driven by a large gent parked next to me at work. Didn't think anything at the time but getting home.. sure enough a door ding. ARHGGHGH

Due to limited space at work I try to park far away as I can but when its full people park next to me.

My car was also ran into in Atlanta stop-go traffic. WTF!! I never had an instance of this in my VW. Maybe the car is magnetic.

Now chick magnet ! I can dig that.
Old 10-13-03, 07:32 AM
AaronE
Pole Position

Default Re: Sad but true

Originally posted by cabrera
Mean people suck. (taken from bumper sticker)
Nice people swallow. (also taken from a bumper sticker)

I find that the cleaner my car is, the more I notice the dings... Kinda a double-edged sword...

Last edited by AaronE; 10-13-03 at 07:32 AM.
Old 10-13-03, 07:41 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You break, you pay...It's as simple as that...
Old 10-13-03, 09:45 AM
kylesc400
Lead Lap

i think the best way to prevent door dings is to get a set of the strips found on lex luthor's red sc in the following thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=door

they are body colored and don't destroy the lines of the car like the rubber/chrome molding you see in auto parts stores. unfortunately i have no idea where to get these outside of the dealership, anybody have any ideas?
Old 10-13-03, 09:47 AM
Malcolm
Rookie

I have a 92 SC300 - only two very small dings that can be fixed.

I never park anywhere that another car my park. I choose to walk the distance to protect my car.
Old 10-13-03, 12:38 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With the smooth rounded contours of these cars, noticing door dings is very easy. Living in NYC, door dings are pretty inevitable. I left my car in a garage overnight, and I never bothered to inspect it before I left. A couple days later I noticed about 10 small dings in my right rear quarter. I make regular visits to my local paintless dent removal shop about every 2 years. I get them less on my other cars since they have body colored moulding integrated into the side, but even they have some. Just an aspect of driving a nice car everyday.
Old 10-13-03, 02:22 PM
extremecc
Driver School Candidate

Default The moving target.

Whenever possible, I try to park next to or between cars that are at least as nice as mine. The other day I found a shopping cart wedged under my side view mirror, a new dent on my rear quarter and a ricochet dent on a new SL I parked next to. I can't say in this forum what I think about people who just don't give a damn about other people's property.
Old 10-13-03, 03:24 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

I notice that if you wash the car in the sun, it looks 10x worse than it does in the shade. Oh, and I've been keyed TWICE while at school. One was a deep long gouge with a dent next to it, and the other one was a full attack on the driver door with about 100 little scratches. The second one came out a lot better than the first, but I can still find em both.

James
Old 10-13-03, 04:02 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

I'm starting to get the feeling that all SC's are comdemmed to this kind of stuff. I mean the first week I had my car it got backed into and had a few dings. Then it was involved in an accident and everything was fixed abd it looked amazing for one day. The next morning it got backed into again but on the other side. And as if that wasnt enough it was involved in another accident last spring. Who knows whats next. I want this car forever. I always read other people saying their SC has been totalled. I cant stand those damn door dings. I've been parking as far away from any car as possible and if I find a spot next to a handicap spot I'm in luck. I usually park half in the walking lane and half in my spot. Its been working great so far and no ding. I have noticed a few rock chips on the hood now tho.
Old 10-13-03, 07:02 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even if you had a $250,000 Ferrari, there are always idiotic people out there to get you. It just happens. Thank goodness for insurance. I have so many dings, scrapes, scratches, and dents - I've stopped counting. I'm glad the sandstone beige color doesn't make them very noticeable. On a good note, my car looks pretty good for being over 10 years old. Maybe I'll repaint the whole car within the next 10 years, after I'm done with modding it.
Old 10-14-03, 07:51 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Tell me about the Soarer/SC being a dent magnet...
* Bought the car with not ONE dent, ding or scratch, just three or four small spots that got touched up.
* 3 months after owning it, I got a dent in the right quarter panel, I've since popped it out, but no one notices it except for me
* I've got marks all along the B-pillar where some *****wit has tried to do a break-n-enter into the Soarer, I've got scratch marks and the B-pillar panel is popping out slightly
* Some d*ckwad has scratched the left rear quarter
* I've got stone chips galore from a lot of interstate highway driving (lots of loose stones thrown up by all those trucks)
Old 10-14-03, 05:30 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Unfortunately, this is what happens when you have a nice car.

I had my driver/passenger doors' dings removed by Dent Magic a while ago and the result was perfect. As **** as I was, I couldn't even tell that there were dings/dents on my door before.

I had the guy remove 2-3 dings on my driver side door and 7-8 dings on my passenger for $150.00. It was definitely worth it!

Jon
Old 10-18-03, 10:33 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had the scratches&dent at the apt parking lot last week. so disappointed ..I want to find out who did it but mostlikely it's impossible..does police help investigating the hit&run accident like this? I know it's my neighbor..