SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Window regulator fix for Sc models

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-04, 07:55 PM
richma7175
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where can i find the Lexus OEM PDF doc that explains how to take apart the door and window to get to the regulator?

Originally posted by hotttoddie
So yeah... had the same thing happen to me... but i did as you said and JB Welded et al... Rewrapped the regulator put it all back together but within24 hours the damn thing breaks again! Tried once with JB Wink (the 4min set time) and then once with JBWeld (15hour set).... Both didnt work.... (I let both dry for 24 hours before reinstalling)

Any suggestions??

BTW - I have a Lexus OEM PDF doc that explains how to take apart the door and window to get to the regulator... YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BEND THE RAIL!!!! If you arent skilled enough to put it back youll always have that rough spot and itll make noise and put extra stress on the motor... Dont make the smae mistake I made and just go at it and f--- up your tint.... Do it right the first time... Itll take longer but its worth it.... Messgae me if you want a copy of the document...
Old 10-08-04, 08:01 PM
richma7175
Driver School Candidate

Regulator went today on the drivers side, Anyone know if I can use a rear door driver side regulator plastic coupling with the previous described method? Is the coupling mechanically the same? does anyone know ?
Old 10-08-04, 08:52 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

BTW - I have a Lexus OEM PDF doc that explains how to take apart the door and window to get to the regulator... YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BEND THE RAIL!!!! If you arent skilled enough to put it back youll always have that rough spot and itll make noise and put extra stress on the motor... Dont make the smae mistake I made and just go at it and f--- up your tint.... Do it right the first time... Itll take longer but its worth it.... Messgae me if you want a copy of the document...
if you can't bend that little rail back strait you didnt need to attempt it anyway. it's gravy.

and.........

So yeah... had the same thing happen to me... but i did as you said and JB Welded et al... Rewrapped the regulator put it all back together but within24 hours the damn thing breaks again! Tried once with JB Wink (the 4min set time) and then once with JBWeld (15hour set).... Both didnt work.... (I let both dry for 24 hours before reinstalling)
proper cleaning is nessesary.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 10-08-04 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-29-04, 08:18 PM
phill
Driver School Candidate

how did you manage to get your hand in the door and be able to use an wrench, mine fell all the way to the bottom, and i can barely get my wrist in , let alone turn the wrench
Old 12-30-04, 02:41 AM
Tryk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by phill
how did you manage to get your hand in the door and be able to use an wrench, mine fell all the way to the bottom, and i can barely get my wrist in , let alone turn the wrench

lift the window up a little....
Old 01-07-05, 12:19 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Default Power Window Regulator

O.L.T's guide is easy to follow for the most part, so I won't re-invent the wheel so to speak. What I will say is that to remove the regulator you must remove the two bolts that hold the regulator guide to the window, mine used a 14mm box wrench from the rear -they are square heads. After this remove single nut for the requlator rail at the bottom of the door - you'll see it on the ouside. Then remove the two up at the top - they are inside the door behind two cutouts covered by vinyl oval stickers. You also have to undo the three nuts that hold in the window motor and then you can pull out the entire regulator/motor as a unit. Then follow the rest of O.L.T's guide. This job was a bit of a PITA, but so far so good, it seems to be holding up well so far. Saved myself $400 in parts alone.
Old 01-07-05, 04:02 PM
Tryk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nomis
O.L.T's guide is easy to follow for the most part, so I won't re-invent the wheel so to speak. What I will say is that to remove the regulator you must remove the two bolts that hold the regulator guide to the window, mine used a 14mm box wrench from the rear -they are square heads. After this remove single nut for the requlator rail at the bottom of the door - you'll see it on the ouside. Then remove the two up at the top - they are inside the door behind two cutouts covered by vinyl oval stickers. You also have to undo the three nuts that hold in the window motor and then you can pull out the entire regulator/motor as a unit. Then follow the rest of O.L.T's guide. This job was a bit of a PITA, but so far so good, it seems to be holding up well so far. Saved myself $400 in parts alone.
Let us know when it fails Sorry I just don't have much faith in this fix... I did fix mine one last time using a special epoxy designed for plastic, but since my car is parked for the winter I have not tested it out. I am sure I will end up going to lexus to buy the new regulator unit.
Old 01-07-05, 04:14 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=Tryk Racing]Let us know when it fails QUOTE]

Thanks.
Old 01-07-05, 11:47 PM
inovashn
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

hey legendary how do you bookmark a thread that would be so helpful in trying to find older stuff that is really useful than all this other bs.
Old 01-08-05, 01:25 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Funny, i did it the right way (as described) and mine has been in sicne the start of this thread. Amazing how that works out Most people do not get all the excessive oils out of the plastic before they epoxy. If i had a nickel for everytime........
Old 01-08-05, 08:39 AM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Angry

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Funny, i did it the right way (as described) and mine has been in sicne the start of this thread. Amazing how that works out Most people do not get all the excessive oils out of the plastic before they epoxy. If i had a nickel for everytime........
You must have had a lucky break on your regulator. I thoroughly degreased mine, roughed it up with my Dremel and used a liberal amount of the the original formula JB Weld, and mine just broke this morning ! ! !
I couldn't believe it after all that work . I had to wash my mouth out after the verbal garbage that came spewing out of my mouth aimed at the SC. Holy Crap this sux. I'm buying a new motor and regulator. To those who do the fix and it works - great, to those that it breaks again all I can say is that we tried. Now I'm out $400 for a new one.
Old 01-08-05, 10:16 AM
Tryk
Pole Position

You must have had a lucky break on your regulator. I thoroughly degreased mine, roughed it up with my Dremel and used a liberal amount of the the original formula JB Weld, and mine just broke this morning ! ! !
I couldn't believe it after all that work . I had to wash my mouth out after the verbal garbage that came spewing out of my mouth aimed at the SC. Holy Crap this sux. I'm buying a new motor and regulator. To those who do the fix and it works - great, to those that it breaks again all I can say is that we tried. Now I'm out $400 for a new one.
Was it in this thread or another...someone said that you could buy the motor, and rail assembly seperately? Hopefully that is the case as the motor is fine....

I know the frustration...sorry to hear about it. I originally tried doing mine with JBQuick, when that failed I thought ok lets spend more time this round... so I used original JBWeld. I very thouroughly cleaned the plastic. I scored every bit of plastic where the JBWeld would be, using rough sandpaper and/or a sharp pic. I let the JBWeld cure for a full 48 hours. That let go after rolling up the window maybe 5 times or so. I probably won't even bother installing my new fix job using the plastic epoxy. haha what if I am on a road-trip next time it breaks!? It is worth the extra money to buy the part from lexus and know it isn't going to fail.
Old 01-08-05, 10:33 AM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tryk Racing
Was it in this thread or another...someone said that you could buy the motor, and rail assembly seperately? Hopefully that is the case as the motor is fine....

I know the frustration...sorry to hear about it. I originally tried doing mine with JBQuick, when that failed I thought ok lets spend more time this round... so I used original JBWeld. I very thouroughly cleaned the plastic. I scored every bit of plastic where the JBWeld would be, using rough sandpaper and/or a sharp pic. I let the JBWeld cure for a full 48 hours. That let go after rolling up the window maybe 5 times or so. I probably won't even bother installing my new fix job using the plastic epoxy. haha what if I am on a road-trip next time it breaks!? It is worth the extra money to buy the part from lexus and know it isn't going to fail.
Carson had the whole assembly for around $400. Supposedly, Autozone can get the unit for cheaper, that waits to be seen though.
Old 01-08-05, 11:47 AM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
you didn't read well then, there are several people on this thread that did it correctly. Just because you and two other people had difficulty doing is not going to give you a reason to **** this thread up with comments like "this is a waste of people's time".
Can it be done correctly and still break again? Yes. I'm glad it worked for others - it saved them quite a bit of money. Had it worked for us, we would have saved money as well. But alas it did not, this doesn't mean that we "did it wrong", and any insinuation to the contrary is a little upsetting. Obviously the plastic fracture lines will be different for each case, this is probably the main factor. Even though mine still broke again - I still appreciate your taking the time to document the fix, O.L.T. It was well worth the time at least to try it (I'm not being sarcastic here).
Old 01-10-05, 10:10 AM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

After having gone through this issue recently, my personal opinion is that OLT's fix is one that is an option for people who simply cannot afford to have the regulator replaced (BUT, it's not as expensive as you think - see below).

Also my personal opinion: This failure mode for the regulator is the result of stress and age. It's impossible to know for sure how much stress yours has endured. So OLT's fix might work great for some folks, and not for others, depending on how the part has been stressed prior to breaking.

You do not need to bend the rail to get the glass out. It is removable by unscrewing two bolts that attach the bottom of the glass to the mechanism. I believe it takes a 14mm wrench. You can lift the glass up with your hands and prop it up with a stick while working on it.

Now I'm out $400 for a new one.
The regulator and the motor are 2 separate parts, BUT sometimes a dealer or a parts place will bundle them together as 1 part (~$586). When I had mine repaired, my shop was able to get the dealer to sell them JUST the regulator (since the motor worked fine) for $102. So it pays to shop around.

I also recommend getting a NEW part for this fix, rather than a used one, due to the stress issue I discussed above.

Ral

Quick Reply: Window regulator fix for Sc models