SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Import a J-Spec Soarer?!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-03, 12:44 PM
SinisterSC
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Import a Jap Spec Soarer?!?!?!?!

I found a Soarer from japan for $2435 Us dollars. I don't really care about the price or how much shipping is, but is it possible to import a right hand drive Soarer and have it street legal with out all the red tape bull ****. If anyone knows, please let me know.
Old 07-31-03, 12:59 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Not worth the trouble

You'll end up wishing you had just done a swap.......... if it even makes it that far.
Old 07-31-03, 01:08 PM
SinisterSC
Lead Lap

Thanks Em' just got pics of it. No good. Paint looks faded and it's an automatic. Oh well. By the way Em, how does you're trunk and hood fit. I kow Importfan make a hood, but not sure how it fits. And the trunk......well no one else makes it.

Last edited by SinisterSC; 07-31-03 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-31-03, 08:41 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Yeah, TRUST ME..Its not worth it even if it was in great condition

They fit perfect....I really hate ill fitting kits n stuff...would bug me to death.

PM
Old 08-01-03, 06:43 AM
chrisngrod
Driver School Candidate

Wouldn't it cost an arm and leg to ship and legalize? I heard most RHDs have to be converted...
Old 08-01-03, 09:40 AM
BAZ
Pole Position

Thanx em! that does'nt say much for my plight, thought you were gonna try and help me?
Old 08-02-03, 06:01 AM
NRG
Lead Lap

theirs no need for a convertion, whats the point when they already make it LHD in the states?
the only reason people buy JDM cars, is to be different, and drive on the right side of the car.
The only reason the car is illegal, is that the car's stock engine cant pass emission.
Well if the soarer is a GT 4.0 it can, but if its the 2.5 GTT, (1jz-gte) then it wont pass, without money under the table.

What you can do is modified the car with the US spec parts, ie: mufflers, etc.
so it can pass visiual inspection, and also try to get it to pass smog. Also switch the doors. because most cars in japan, dont come with the US spec door impact brace. The windows would be switch out too. because the glass shaters differently then the US spec glass which we have on the SC300/400.
it will cost about 2-3k to get it legal, depending on which state you're in. The hardest and high cost is california. the cheapest and eaziest is arizona.

Cars in japan are mad cheap, the car you found for 2k is the going price, nothing special.
The only reason cars in america cost so much, because their's a thing call tax on imports.
When you buy your car for 2k, you will also pay importing tax, and custom agent crap, then pay some more cash for legalization, then some cash for DMV custom vins.

Is it worth it? to some people it is, to most, its not.

How do i know all this? i was about to import a R32 GTR skyline a year ago. found out it wasnt worth it.
i have lots of friend's with JDM Cars. ie: skyline, honda, toyota, etc.
Some people just have the right connects.

Southern california has the most JDM cars on the road, because of Motorex, and the ports from japan are coming through here. So everyone and their momma drives on the RHD.

Last edited by NRG; 08-02-03 at 06:02 AM.
Old 08-02-03, 06:17 AM
chrisngrod
Driver School Candidate

No really what's a Lexus? I didn't say I would do the conversion for kicks man! I'm saying it's the law. You're killing me by trying to make me look stupid :-).

"Vehicles that meet one of the above requirements are assigned a vehicle eligibility number. All eligibility numbers are for left-hand drive motor vehicles except where right-hand drive (RHD) is identified after the model. While there is no specific restriction on importing a right-hand drive vehicle, an eligibility number based on a substantially similar U.S.- certified motor vehicle may not apply. Our experience has shown that the safety performance of right-hand drive vehicles is not necessarily the same as that of apparently similar left-hand drive vehicles offered for sale in this country. However, we will consider them "substantially similar" if the manufacturer advises us that the right-hand drive vehicle would perform the same as the certified left-hand drive vehicle in crash tests. If the vehicle is not substantially similar to one sold in the U.S., the RI would have to demonstrate that the vehicle, when modified, would comply with the applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards, which could involve crash testing several vehicles. "

Notice the small amount of RHD vehicles accepted.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...IG0521-03.html
Old 08-02-03, 11:10 AM
AzLex
Lead Lap

Originally posted by NRG

. the cheapest and eaziest is arizona.
Care to explain a little more as I live in AZ
Old 08-02-03, 11:59 AM
BAZ
Pole Position

CHRISNGROD, i presume this is not you qouting but the dot? "WE WILL CONSIDER THEM" [rhd]!
I spoke to the dot a few weeks ago, to try and get from toyota japan an S.O.C. because toyota don't take/won't help re overseas enquiries, for my soarer! the dot's response was "we can get the specs for the car, BUT why should we"!! soooooooo arrogant!
The biggest issue seemed to be the right hand steering/rack!...... if you can prove that it will fold the same as the lhd sc400, your half way there!
Most of this red tape is just BS.......this is loaded in favour of the dealerships [trade]
Old 08-02-03, 02:01 PM
chrisngrod
Driver School Candidate

It sure would help to have a friend over there. Maybe a little money under the table would get a guy off this butt to do a little work.
Old 08-02-03, 02:07 PM
BAZ
Pole Position

It goes deeper than that!!......TOYOTA and LEXUS......and never the twain shall meet !
Old 08-15-03, 08:53 AM
BAZ
Pole Position

Went to HIN in dallas,and spoke to a number of exhibitors,they said file a pettition with the DOT for show and display!.......may take a while.....but if anyone has any experiences in this matter, could you please kindly document it!!!.......don't tell me nobodies done it /bs /bs..........don't be shallow guy's!! this will only eventually help our cause......enough pressure may just oneday open the flood gate for all to enjoy.

OH WELL I TRIED...
Old 08-15-03, 10:55 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by BAZ
Thanx em! that does'nt say much for my plight, thought you were gonna try and help me?
I just caught this post since it went back up to the top.
Old 08-15-03, 11:13 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by BAZ
Went to HIN in dallas,and spoke to a number of exhibitors,they said file a pettition with the DOT for show and display!.......may take a while.....but if anyone has any experiences in this matter, could you please kindly document it!!!.......don't tell me nobodies done it /bs /bs..........don't be shallow guy's!! this will only eventually help our cause......enough pressure may just oneday open the flood gate for all to enjoy.

OH WELL I TRIED...
I mentioned the car visa to you via email......

What they (people at HIN) failed to mention is that it only buys you a little time. The car has to be returned after its time is up under that method. Plus theyll keep tighter tabs on the car, Miles driven ( cant go over half the state average or sumting goofy like that) etc, etc.. So either way its still facing the crusher or looking at EPA Fines...depending on which state you live in the EPA is no joke!!

We were almost fined between 20-40k for a 1st time offense at our first location.

Plus theres other stuff involved that may not be worth the trouble.

Email me if you dont have it anymore

~Em

Quick Reply: Import a J-Spec Soarer?!?!?!?!