Got my windows re-tinted! But now I am not so satisfied

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-03, 10:10 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Got my windows re-tinted! But now I am not so satisfied

Finally got my tint done!

35% up front and 20% in the rear quarter panels for $100, including removing my old tint films! I did not touch the rear window by removing the old tint (the one with defrosters on it) because I didn't want to risk damaging my lines.

I was pretty satisfied with my tint but now I am a bit ticked off at the installer.

Here's the story:

I went to his residence to have my old tints stripped and had new Johnson tints put on. It took him less than 3 hours to do the entire job. Easy enough. However, during the process, he had accidentally tinted over some glue residue on my driver side front window, causing little bubbles on the new film. He was obviously not so pleased with it but still managed to remove the film and install another for me immediately for free when I pointed out the bubbles to him.

This is where things went wrong. After taking my car home, I took a few pictures of my car yesterday (unfortunately, I couldn't upload them because the files are too big) and looked at my windows over and over again from various angles and at different times. For some reason, I could've sworn that my front driver side window is just as dark as my rear quarter panel window. The passenger side front window, however, did not have this effect. Of course, it could just be my eyes but I doubt so.

Therefore, I called this guy again earlier today in the morning and asked him nicely (and politely) if somehow or if there's any chance that he could've misplaced the 35% film with 20% one when he had to re-do the front driver side window. I even told him that even if he's made a mistake, it's okay because I was willing to drive back to his place and have him redo it without asking for a refund. Before I could finish my sentence, he got all mad at me and started saying that whomever told me that the driver side front window and rear quarter panel window are the same darkness is a "f***ing moron and idiot". He said I was trying to insult him and his professionalism (whatever that means). He even insisted on making a bet with me that if he turns out to be incorrect, he will give me $200 on the spot and if I had falsely accused him of tricking me (which I never intended to do), he will come and rip off my film just for his pleasure.

My question for you guys is, does anyone happen to have a picture of his/her car tinted 20% in the rear quarter panel windows and 35% up front? I just wanted to see if these two shades are so closely resembled to each other and therefore, I could've been wrong with my judgment.

I am pretty pissed off at the guy for what he said now. Originally, I was intending to be nice as a customer (even though my driver side window's rubber weather guard suffered a little knife damage and my passenger side window refused to go down because he tucked the rubber seal too tightly. I had to fix this problem myself later) because he gave me a good price on the installation and the job was clean. Before I called him this morning, I thought that even if he was wrong, I would just drop by his place again and have him redo the window. I didn't even want any refund or apology from him. Nevertheless his response to my inquiry was neither professional nor polite. That really pissed me off.

Therefore, I now fully intend to make this guy pay for his imprudence and live up to his words if he turns out to be wrong. I not only want his $200 as stated in his offer, I also want him to apologize to my face for being rude.

Please help me by posting some pictures of your SC with 20% tinted in the back and 35% tinted up front. If I do get a $200 from him, I will donate $100 to www.clublexus.com. No questions asked.

Even if I turned out to be wrong, I still believe I did ask him a legitimate question and I did not deserve to be insulted this way. It's as if who else am I going to ask this question? His competitors? If he even touches my car just because of his temper, I will see him in court one day. I'll be taking my bar exam next year and this little incident might as well be my first case.

Thanks and sorry for the long post. I just had to vent a little.

Jon
Old 07-28-03, 10:21 AM
rushgator
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear about the crappy incident. Sounds like the guy has either a guilty conscience, or is just an a-hole. Either way, not too professional. I have 35% up front (i think), but 15% or lower on the rear & quarters. I have pics, but I don't know if it will be of help since it's not the same as yours. Honestly, I don't really know what I have on the rear & quarters, since it was on the car when I got it. All I know is that it is really dark. Used to have it on the fronts, but I changed it to 35% so I could see out at night. If you think it will help, I'll post some pics.
BTW, today is one of those days when you can actually take me seriously.

Last edited by rushgator; 07-28-03 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-28-03, 10:35 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Thanks rushgator.

I would appreciate any pix you may have with your front tinted windows.

Seriously, I don't mind all the jokes on this forum at all. I think they're entertaining at times.

However, everything I said in this post is no joke and I appreciate your contribution. Even though I don't have anything from this guy in writing and I may not have anything on him (as far as proving the existence of a contract goes), I'll still sue him if he turned out to be wrong. That's how much I am dissatisfied with his attitude.

Jon

Originally posted by rushgator2112
Sorry to hear about the crappy incident. Sounds like the guy has either a guilty conscience, or is just an a-hole. Either way, not too professional. I have 35% up front (i think), but 15% or lower on the rear & quarters. I have pics, but I don't know if it will be of help since it's not the same as yours. Honestly, I don't really know what I have on the rear & quarters, since it was on the car when I got it. All I know is that it is really dark. Used to have it on the fronts, but I changed it to 35% so I could see out at night. If you think it will help, I'll post some pics.
BTW, today is one of those days when you can actually take me seriously.
Old 07-28-03, 11:40 AM
rushgator
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hope this helps:

Old 07-28-03, 11:52 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Thanks Rushgator.

Let me see if I can take some pictures of my car using a digi cam later today and upload the pictures.

Jon
Old 07-28-03, 11:55 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

remember that tint isnt fully darkened until it dries. it may take a few days to cure before it really starts to look good.
Old 07-28-03, 02:13 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

That's a good point.

I'll wait for a few days and see what happens then. Thanks.

And that's what the installer should've told me.

Personally, I think there's no reason for the dude to get crazy on me just because I was wondering why the left front and rear windows have the same darkness despite the fact that he said I had 35% front and 20% rear.

Jon

Originally posted by onelasttry
remember that tint isnt fully darkened until it dries. it may take a few days to cure before it really starts to look good.
Old 07-28-03, 04:44 PM
EmeraldLexuSC3
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

remember that tint isnt fully darkened until it gets dark . it may take a few hours before it really gets dark outside to look good!

I could not resist LOL
Old 07-28-03, 04:52 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Onelasttry and Emerald: I know what you guys are trying to say.

However, notice I was not concerned with or worried about how dark my windows should be. I don't care if my windows' darkness turned out to be different from another SC here on the forum.

Rather, I was only having doubts as to why my driver side front window, which is supposed to be 35% tinted, is as dark as my driver side rear quarter panel, which is supposed to be 20% tinted. While my passenger side front window is noticeably lighter than my passenger side rear quarter panel window.

I think my doubt is justified because (if you refer to my original post) the installer had to re-do my driver side front window during the process of installation. Since he had both 20% and 35% boxes sitting around, I called him to ask if it's normal for me to see both tints looking the same way and if not, would it be possible that he had accidentally used the 20% film on my front instead.

Then he got pissed and all hell broke loose. You know the rest of the story.

Jon

Originally posted by EmeraldLexuSC3
remember that tint isnt fully darkened until it gets dark . it may take a few hours before it really gets dark outside to look good!

I could not resist LOL
Old 07-28-03, 05:21 PM
EmeraldLexuSC3
Pole Position

Jon,
Apparently he is not in the business to satisfy his customers.To **** a defensive attitude
is unprofessional and to come down on you like he did is very childish. You ought to take your
vehicle to another tint shop to validate or disprove your concerns.

Last edited by EmeraldLexuSC3; 07-28-03 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-28-03, 05:25 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

That's exactly what I would do after a few days. After my tints darkens as you and Onelasttry would put it. LOL...

Then if I do prove him wrong, then I am going over to his house to get my $200 check from him. If I do get the money from this dude, 50% of the proceeds will of course, be donated to CL since this is such a helpful forum.

Jon

Jon,
Apparently he is not in the business to satisfy his customers.To **** a defensive attitude
is unprofessional and to come down on you like he did is very childish. You ought to take your
vehicle to another tint shop to validate or disprove your concerns.

Last edited by Baby ///M3; 07-28-03 at 05:27 PM.
Old 07-28-03, 05:35 PM
EmeraldLexuSC3
Pole Position

My original comment was tongue and cheek, I do not think Onelasttry was joking.
You could put the money to good use by becoming a "Premium Gold Member"

Last edited by EmeraldLexuSC3; 07-28-03 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-28-03, 07:00 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

It's okay. Either way I was not offended by your or Onelasttry's comments. I was merely trying to explain my position, that's all.

I just came back from taking some pictures. Here are the pictures of my windows as they're now tinted. I've positioned the car as closely to the same spot as possible within seconds and tried to take pictures from the same angles.

From the pictures, you can clearly tell that the driver side front window appears to be darker than the passenger side front window.

I feel like going straight to that dude's house and ask for my money now.

Jon

PS. Sorry, I couldn't upload the pictures because the files are too large.

My original comment was tongue and cheek, I do not think Onelasttry was joking.
You could put the money to good use by becoming a "Premium Gold Member"
Old 07-28-03, 07:24 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

UPDATE:

I just called this guy and tried to settle things down with him. His wife picked up the phone and I asked her politely for him to come get the phone. He picked up the phone and I told him who I am nicely and that I was not going to talk about the bets or gambles because we're all civilized people. I also explained to him that I've taken a few pictures of the car and told him that all I was asking is for him to give me an email address so I can send the pictures for him to examine. And if he thinks he really did it wrong, I won't make him responsible for anything.

Well guess what? Before I could finish my sentence again, he started cussing at me and saying things such as "F U" and blah blah blah. I had enough. I gave him a taste of his own medicine by swearing all the words I knew at him (he paused for a moment, I guess he was shocked to hear what I said) and that in addition, if he loses the bet, I want him to shut the F up and close down his pathetic little shop forever. He eventually hung up on me. Oh well, that wasn't too smart for me to do but what could I do? I had to vent.

Just for your reference. And I can care for less about his privacy anymore. I've exhausted all my good efforts to settle with this guy and he just won't budge. I think he's truly an a**hole and does not deserve to be in this business.

SORRY, I HAVE DELETED HIS NAME/ADDRESS FROM THIS POST TO PREVENT FURTHER CONFLICTS. I THINK I'VE MADE MY POINT AND THERE'S NO NEED FOR ME TO COMPLETELY DESTROY HIS REPUTATION.

He's lucky. I don't think I can take any legal action against him because tinting front windows is illegal to begin with in CA.

Just wanted everyone to know what an *** he's been and I would rather spend an additional $100 to get my windows done elsewhere than that place.

Jon

Last edited by Baby ///M3; 07-28-03 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-28-03, 08:22 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Got my windows re-tinted! But now I am not so satisfied

Originally posted by Baby ///M3
Before I could finish my sentence, he got all mad at me and started saying that whomever told me that the driver side front window and rear quarter panel window are the same darkness is a "f***ing moron and idiot". He said I was trying to insult him and his professionalism (whatever that means).

Jon

Sounds like he doesn't know what professionalism is

Quick Reply: Got my windows re-tinted! But now I am not so satisfied