SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Please help. Possibly purchasing a SC3 or SC4

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-03, 08:36 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Please help. Possibly purchasing a SC3 or SC4

Sorry for the long post. Please help me choose a reliable Lexus since I know almost nothing about them.

I've looked at 2 Lexus SCs recently and am considering buying one of them. Could anyone please advise whether I should stay away from these car or jump on it?

1st car I am considering is a 1993 SC300. Blk/tan that was purchased by an old lady in 1996' under Lexus' certified program. According to her, all maintenances were done at Lexus and all the necessary things that needed to be replaced had been changed. I have not personally looked at or test driven the car so I am not sure how it drives. So far, I have seen a few pictures of the car and the car looks well taken cared of. The exterior is either 8 or 9 out of 10 and in the interior, there are little fades and slight surface crack marks (not actual cracks), there's one 3' inch cut on the driver's side door panel (looks like she locked herself out before and had to have someone cut into the door panel to open the door for her), the LCD screens are perfect without darkening spots and the instruments needles all light up, except one little black spots on the RPM needle. The bulb behind the temp. gauge is no longer working, as well as the bulbs behind the RPM guage near 7k-8k. Other than that, I couldn't tell any sort of physical flaw from the pictures.

So far, the owner has disclosed the following:

1999' 69k service
Oil change
spark plug change
front panel
transmission filter
cooling system flush
throttle valve
replace front/rear brake pads

Other jobs done by the dealer throughout her ownership:
cleaned the throttle (excessive carbon build up)
gas pedal sticky, took care of it
gasket cylinder replaced
leaking valve replaced
antenna mask replaced
FA cable replaced
distributor leaking, fixed
ring on distributor replaced

The battery and tires on the car are still good. She's asking $7.5k for the car. When I asked about the water pump, alternator, radior and timing belt, she just said all the necessary maintenances were done at Lexus dealer according to schedule and she did not seem to know whether there parts were replaced or not.

Do you guys think this car is worth $7.5k and should I bite the bullet for it?

2nd car is a 1992 SC4 that I just looked at today. It's also blk with tan interior. This car is probably one of the nicest SC4s I've sampled so far. Unlike most of the 92-95 SCs I've seen, ALL the needles actually light up and all the dash bulbs actually work, just as if they're new. The LCD panels are also perfect as well.

This SC4 has only 69k miles and according to its owner, her parents had owned it since new and always had the car serviced at local Lexus dealer. Her parents sold the car to her last year and now she's selling the car for $14k. The lowest she would go is $12.5k for now.

This car has not had its timing belt replaced, nor has it had its water pump, radiator, alternator, or any major engine component replaced. However, the belts (the ones visible in the engine bay) seem fine (not cracked on the surface) and I could not find a spot where the engine leaks oil. The car drives fantastic and there's no sign of abuse either.

What do you guys think of this one? Personally, I think $12.5k is still too much to ask for even a mint 92' SC4. Especially that there are a couple of visible dings/dents and paint chips. Also, there's a very slight wear on the driver's seat (little fading, almost to the point of slight cracking on the surface).

Any inputs? Ideas?

How much should I ask for each of these cars? And how much am I looking at in terms of maintaining them? This is only going to be my daily driver so I am not too picky in terms of the cosmetic aspects. However, I would hate to get stranded in the middle of nowhere. Therefore, the car must be in excellent shape mechanically and be able to last for the next 4-5 years or so.

By the way, the A/C on the SC4 works perfectly and according to the lady who owns the SC3, its A/C also works very well.

Thanks for reading and again, I appreciate any feedback.

Jon
Old 06-11-03, 11:17 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do they have service records to prove that all this service has been done on the car..?

Is the SC300 5spd or automatic?

You have done your research well, we actually have someone on the board who can fix blown bulbs on the climate control, radio, gauge cluster for a reasonable price...So its not a BIG problem..

What is the actual mileage of the SC300?
Old 06-12-03, 05:02 AM
Hi-psi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far, even with it being more money, for a reliable daily driver, the SC400 sounds better. The "little" things that are wrong with the SC300 are things that would personally aggrevate the **** out of me in a daily driver.

For what it's worth, I just bought my SC300 less than a week ago. 1995, auto, 133k miles, a few rock chips on the nose, not noticeable past 2-3ft., perfect interior, needs power antenna, and back tires. Everything else is immaculate. I'm the 2nd owner, and every schedule service/work had been done by Lexus. I paid $7800 for it.

Last edited by Hi-psi; 06-12-03 at 05:05 AM.
Old 06-13-03, 12:29 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Hmm..

The person selling the SC4 has all the maintenance records from 1992-1993. For 1993-2002's records, she said she would look for them but I am sure she still has them.

The SC3's seller seems to have most of the records as well. Like the SC4, it's also equipped with an automatic transmission and has about 113k miles.

Thanks for your inputs. Hopefully, I'll be able to come up with a decision within a short while. If not, I may just look for the newer SCs (1997+) under Lexus' certified program.

Jon

Originally posted by One HoT SC400
Do they have service records to prove that all this service has been done on the car..?

Is the SC300 5spd or automatic?

You have done your research well, we actually have someone on the board who can fix blown bulbs on the climate control, radio, gauge cluster for a reasonable price...So its not a BIG problem..

What is the actual mileage of the SC300?
Old 06-13-03, 12:35 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

I agree,

The SC4 sounds like a very tempting choice. However, for $12k, I think maybe it would be better for me just to spend a few thousands more and get a 1996 or 1997 SC3 instead?

If both of these deals don't follow thru, I guess Lexus' certified used cars will be the next candidates for my future daily driver.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

Jon

Originally posted by Hi-psi
So far, even with it being more money, for a reliable daily driver, the SC400 sounds better. The "little" things that are wrong with the SC300 are things that would personally aggrevate the **** out of me in a daily driver.

For what it's worth, I just bought my SC300 less than a week ago. 1995, auto, 133k miles, a few rock chips on the nose, not noticeable past 2-3ft., perfect interior, needs power antenna, and back tires. Everything else is immaculate. I'm the 2nd owner, and every schedule service/work had been done by Lexus. I paid $7800 for it.
Old 06-13-03, 01:25 AM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 12.5

Let me just say this... If they want to see they will come off the price.... I NEVER pay what someone asks for a car, why because most of the time they ask WAY TOO MUCH FOR IT.... What you do it get the specs go to KBB.com and edmunds.com and you get a avg price from them both and work from them, also know how much you are willing to spend, In my case my price was dependent upon the age, mileage condition and such. Some ex when I was looking... When I decided I was going to get a SC it took me 3 months of looking, Not very many SC were for sell in the Ohio area, But the 3 I did go look at (1 of which I ended up buying) they were asking WAY too much for them, 1 was a individual and the other 2 were car dealers,

The first SC I found was a 92 SC300 with 43k miles, yes low mileage but not worth the 18k price tag they had on it, I mean yes low mileage but it was still a 10yr old car, and it was in nice shape but when they stated it was in immaculate shape and I went out and looked at it I found stuff wrong, but like I said it was a 10 yr old car that is expected. But to make a long story short they wanted 18k and I got them done to 12k and told them that was still too much for the car, and when they were rdy to deal with me then let me know and if the car was sold before I came back then it was not meant to be. Need less to say they didn’t want to deal and about 3 wks later the car was sold, O well, was not meant to be...

Next I found a 93 SC400 with 140k miles and the dealer wanted 11k for it, it again was in good shape but had bad struts that would need to be replace soon and just small thing here and there, but it was a 9yr old car.... But I got them down to 8200 and then they pissed me off and I walked. The called me for up to a wk wanting to deal and I told them each time what I was willing to pay and they didn’t want to deal so they never got my business.

Then I found a 92 SC300 with 80k from a 2nd owner and he wanted 11k for his, well after I talked him down to 8500 I walked stating that the car was nto worth that to me and that I was sorry to have wasted his time, about 1 wk or so later I called him back and wanted to see if he wanted to try it again and I told him my price and then it went down to 7500.00 so I took it at that.

So see, if you take your time and show them you are willing to walk and wait that is one thing you have over them, another thing is know what you was willing to spend and maybe if you REALLY want THAT CAR spend ALITTLE MORE..... But if you go to them and you look over the car and point out anything that is wrong and this and that if you have to walk, and call them back in a few days if they don't call you first and try it again.........

Sorry for the long post, I got carried away but I hope this will help you make a choice... Let us know what you end up doing and GL
Shawn

Last edited by asnatlas; 06-13-03 at 01:27 AM.
Old 06-13-03, 01:46 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Default Re: 12.5

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

Yeap, I think you have the right mentality in terms of purchasing a used car such as Lexus.
Believe it or not, I actually had the following conversation with the seller yesterday.

Me: "The reason why I am here today is obviously that I am interested in the car. Blah blah blah.." Without trying to be offensive, I then asked, "Have you ever heard of Kelly Blue Book?"

Seller: Didn't say anything or just said a couple of words. He nodded.

Me: "Just to try to be fair to you, I actually entered the exact miles on your SC4 and checked the "excellent condition" box and added a few more options to your car. And guess what? The Kelly Blue Book says $10.1k for your car."

Seller: Stared at me and nodded.

Me: "In other words, I am sure you also know that people don't really pay for Kelly Blue Book's price, don't you think $14k is a bit too much to ask for the car?"

Seller: I am willing to go down to $12.5k, and that's the lowest I would go for now...."

Me: "......"

Honestly, at the moment when he said he wants nothing but $12.5k, I knew I would never buy the car from him for that much. True, there may be some bastard who's loaded with cash and just does not care how much money he's losing on purchasing a used car, but people like us know better.

In my opinion, I simply don't think it's going to sell for that much.

Either way, good luck to that guy. And like you said, if it's really meant to be, then maybe I'll get that car some day for less than $10k.

Jon

Originally posted by asnatlas
Let me just say this... If they want to see they will come off the price.... I NEVER pay what someone asks for a car, why because most of the time they ask WAY TOO MUCH FOR IT.... What you do it get the specs go to KBB.com and edmunds.com and you get a avg price from them both and work from them, also know how much you are willing to spend, In my case my price was dependent upon the age, mileage condition and such. Some ex when I was looking... When I decided I was going to get a SC it took me 3 months of looking, Not very many SC were for sell in the Ohio area, But the 3 I did go look at (1 of which I ended up buying) they were asking WAY too much for them, 1 was a individual and the other 2 were car dealers,

The first SC I found was a 92 SC300 with 43k miles, yes low mileage but not worth the 18k price tag they had on it, I mean yes low mileage but it was still a 10yr old car, and it was in nice shape but when they stated it was in immaculate shape and I went out and looked at it I found stuff wrong, but like I said it was a 10 yr old car that is expected. But to make a long story short they wanted 18k and I got them done to 12k and told them that was still too much for the car, and when they were rdy to deal with me then let me know and if the car was sold before I came back then it was not meant to be. Need less to say they didn’t want to deal and about 3 wks later the car was sold, O well, was not meant to be...

Next I found a 93 SC400 with 140k miles and the dealer wanted 11k for it, it again was in good shape but had bad struts that would need to be replace soon and just small thing here and there, but it was a 9yr old car.... But I got them down to 8200 and then they pissed me off and I walked. The called me for up to a wk wanting to deal and I told them each time what I was willing to pay and they didn’t want to deal so they never got my business.

Then I found a 92 SC300 with 80k from a 2nd owner and he wanted 11k for his, well after I talked him down to 8500 I walked stating that the car was nto worth that to me and that I was sorry to have wasted his time, about 1 wk or so later I called him back and wanted to see if he wanted to try it again and I told him my price and then it went down to 7500.00 so I took it at that.

So see, if you take your time and show them you are willing to walk and wait that is one thing you have over them, another thing is know what you was willing to spend and maybe if you REALLY want THAT CAR spend ALITTLE MORE..... But if you go to them and you look over the car and point out anything that is wrong and this and that if you have to walk, and call them back in a few days if they don't call you first and try it again.........

Sorry for the long post, I got carried away but I hope this will help you make a choice... Let us know what you end up doing and GL
Shawn
Old 06-13-03, 02:29 AM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Default It would sell...

If the seller held out long enough for 14k he would get it, some kid who has rich parents would find it and get mommy and daddy to pay for it or someone who does not know what the car is worth would come along and see it and buy it, that is the prob now a days people have more money then brains, or people buy something with out looking into it (ex: reading up on it, getting to know stuff about it) things like that, they see it and want it and that’s it, then get tired or it and get rid of it, I my self like to know as mush about something as I can and read up and learn as much as I can before getting into something... But that is just me, also I work hard for the money I earn and don't have it to throw around like I wish I could.... Like that 92 SC300 with low mileage that the dealer wanted 18k for, I am sure they got prob 15k+ for it from some rich kids parents with no questions asked. When I know it was a trade in and that they didn;t give no more then 6k if that and if they did make it seem like they gave them more for the car then the dealer stuck it to them in another way....

Just my 2 cents
Shawn
Old 06-13-03, 02:32 PM
buuzy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch! $12.5K for a 92? Granted, it has only 69K miles, but still, that's an 11-year old car. When I was looking for my SC400, I found a beautiful pearl white '95 with 99K miles for $12.5K. They either reupholstered all the seats or I could've sworn those were never sat in. I didn't buy it because the guy wouldn't budge on the price. So I got a '96 with 107K miles for $11.1K and it had all the scheduled maintenance, including the timing belt changed at 77K miles. Look around, even on eBay, I think you'll find much better deals. Good luck, I love mine.
Old 06-13-03, 06:10 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Default Be careful

Be careful on Ebay, Alot of people on there are dealers and LIE I was looking at a car in FL ( I was willing to Fly down and look at it and drive it back) but when I looked up the VIN on Carfax it had been in a accident and when I called him about and stated this he was like yes our records show this but we did not list it, I was like ok I could see why you didn't list it, but when I asked him on the first phone call he stated he was not sure, and just about 1/2 the car on the auction and what he told me did not add up, yes he is a used car sales man and such, but still... Any ways after thinking about it I decided against it. SO as you prob already know just be careful, People will say ANYTHING to make money, best bet would be to find someone local or that is with in a few hrs drive of you and drive the car and look it over... I would never buy a car with out driving it, I still cant believe I considered that one in FL....

Shawn
Old 06-14-03, 03:56 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

buuzy: Yeap, $12.5 for a 92' SC4. I don't really care how much the seller has taken cared of the car. I don't think I would ever pay this much for a SC that has not had its timing belt, water pump, radiator, and alternator changed for the past 11 years. I know we all place a big sentimental value on our car but when it comes to selling it, one really has to get real.

asnatlas: Thanks for the heads up. I myself also had bad experiences with buying a car online. Even with honest sellers, things can go wrong because there are things that you just can't spot or see without seeing the car in person. If I were to get a SC, I would definitely have to take a look at it before I make any decisions.
Regarding the car's price, yes you're right. Someone may come along and offer the guy $14k for it. If that happens, well then I guess it's just never meant to be for me. I wish people could just do their homework and research a bit before they buy a used car. This way "supply and demand" will take over and govern the used car market, rather than those who over pay for used cars.

Thanks again for your inputs.

Jon