SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Aftermarket headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-17, 04:41 AM
emLEX
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Aftermarket headlights?

Any good ones available that don't cost a fortune? I see some on ebay and other online vendors, but it's difficult to judge product quality, fit and light output.
Old 02-27-17, 09:08 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Reworked OEM headlights with a range of restoration and customization options options is available through Organized Garage Status. Members have posted about the results of their work here positively and they are also a trusted CL vendor. Some aftermarket headlights may exist but others will know more about and have opinions on what is or isn't available in this department.

Generally light output is much improved when moving into an HID conversion. If you don't want perfection but are looking for a good improvement there are also budget plug and play HID kits that fit your original housings and Halogen projector lenses. Personally I like Xenondepot's kits as a good bang for the buck. Good quality kits that have Phillips HID 4200K bulb and ballast options that are true plug and play. Also you can actually reach them by phone or email in the USA unlike some sketchy ebay HID PnP kit vendors.

But if it's a true aftermarket headlight assembly or custom reworked OEM headlight assembly that you want then a simple PnP HID conversion kit isn't going to fit the bill.
Old 02-28-17, 09:22 AM
MaxFlii
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am waiting on work from organized garage status. Just through Emailing them a little bit, getting some different quotes and such. they've been great to work with so far.
Also considering the fact that the brand new ebay headlights are listed for like 4-500 the pricing on OGstatus is actually very reasonable. I'd go on their site and price up the different options you'd be interested in and then ask them for a quote. you may be surprised.
Old 02-28-17, 09:53 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought mine on ebay. The high beams do not fit perfectly and it's hard to get the bumper back on correctly. The headlights themselves started to hairline fracture after only about 6 months, one headlight has a little piece of fuzzy inside somehow, and the light beams are pointed upwards with no way to adjust down. They literally point up into peoples faces and can't see the road that you're driving on. All in all, I don't hate them. I think they look nice, but if I had to do it over again, I would have OEM lights customized, or try to do them myself.
Old 03-18-17, 05:05 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

good and cheap dosent exist. Oem is the best quality obviously. You want cheap buy ebay but you will get what you pay for.
Old 03-25-17, 12:12 PM
SCKris
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too bought e-bay projectors, however, they have 2 bolts on the back that allow for horizontal and vertical adjustment. However, the adjustment SUCKS. They bottom out and are still angled too high up, it's way better than out of the box. But, it's still not great. Hand tools didn't work, I was cranking on the bolt with a ratchet, and screw driver, until trying my power drill; and that finally worked.
Old 03-31-17, 04:30 PM
dnjsels
Driver School Candidate

I tried some after-market headlights and they all suck
Old 03-31-17, 04:33 PM
dnjsels
Driver School Candidate

there's a expert to modify your own oem headlights like a perfect shape and qaulity but their price is around $1000~$2000 lawl
Old 03-31-17, 11:58 PM
Organized Garage Status
Former Sponsor

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

There's really no set price for custom headlights. Every detail and part is customizable according to your liking and budget just like any other car part. We have introduced so many innovations, especially for the SC's, that no other company will even waste their time on and would just rather up-sell customers on. For example, we offer a Projector Lens Upgrade service, where we replace the glass part of the projector to a highly optically clear glass to achieve a razor sharp cutoff and up to 40% better light output without actually replacing the projector and doing an expensive Projector Retrofit. And of course, not to mention, we are the only company that offer Clear Lens Conversion.

Bottom line is, if you want to "update" the look of your headlights with modern parts and technology, then you will pay modern pricing as well. If you could look in our web store, you'd see that we also sell the same parts and brands that we use for our services, and that should allow you to compare how much it would cost for us to install them professionally, fully integrated to your vehicle and completely plug and play.
Old 04-02-17, 12:51 AM
Returd
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Well I just did my first few night drives and the stock arrangement sucks.

What'd be nice is to have a low bean projector converted to HID and also made capable of high and well as low beam via a shutter as used in other vehicles.