SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

(another) direct fit stubbed antenna for sc300/sc400

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-17, 02:13 PM
bboykid10
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No reception issues. Not trying to be one of THOSE guys but it made my reception alittle bit better without the stubbed attached. Its a tight seal and got it for 5 bucks. And plus i know some people prefer original and what not but this is my taste and many others.
Old 01-02-17, 02:42 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

That looks pretty good, but the needed shot is parallel to the car to see if the angle is right.

p.s. A toe is stubbed. An antenna is stubby.
Old 01-02-17, 02:53 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Next day off I'll be at the junkyard. My reception is ****ty, and has been since I had the car.
Old 01-02-17, 03:24 PM
bboykid10
Driver School Candidate

Old 01-02-17, 03:28 PM
bboykid10
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for the "stubbed". Ordered a trd STUBBY antenna, cant wait!
Old 01-02-17, 03:38 PM
bboykid10
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gerrb
I am with you .

As long as the antenna works good and you are using stock original radio system , it doesn't make sense to replace antenna if we are talking about functionality . Every antenna is tuned accordingly based on frequency , amplification and actual radio system features / capabilities. And when you are talking about AM frequency , all the more it matters a lot. It's height , how and where it is installed on your car , how your radio stations propagate their sound and others plays a role. Well, I guess my being an electronics engineer is getting me riled up here and am not discussing electronic principles here .. but for those who wants to, do your research more about antenna designs so you install the right antenna in your car if you are after functionality.

But if you are only after looks , then I guess it doesn't really matter. The thing is, for functionality , there are things you need to consider in choosing the right radio antenna... your radio system , your physical location , the stations you tune in and so on. If you only drive around the city always , antenna design doesn't matter much. Try going to the boonies or in the middle of no where and you will see how important antenna designs are .

The OP is local to me and based on the pictures he sent me on my phone , I am not too sure it is really from a 2005-2006 eclipse . Got to do more research about it .
My mistake- 01 eclipse hatch
Old 01-02-17, 04:32 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Looks like it might angle out ever so slightly once a mast is attached, but good enough that most people likely wouldn't notice.

Originally Posted by bboykid10
Sorry for the "stubbed". Ordered a trd STUBBY antenna, cant wait!
No worries. I was thinking in the first post, that's probably why you didn't find anything previously.
Old 01-03-17, 10:34 AM
super400
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got two questions about this. First, will any of those stub antennas you see on eBay and other places fit or does it need to be a specific one? Second what about the wiring harness that plugs into the oem radio? If I remover correctly(but I could be wrong) the 3rd tail light is wired through there I think. If that's just left uplugged you would lose your 3 taillight which would be very fun if a cop pulled you over for speeding and what not. 😁
Old 01-03-17, 12:14 PM
bboykid10
Driver School Candidate

Mines is a 92 so all i had to unplug was plugs to the motor of the power antenna and the black wire. Ionly needed the black wire. Didnt mess with any of my lights
Old 01-03-17, 02:15 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

The 3rd brake light wiring is on the other side of the trunk and not at all related to the antenna. If you're going with a non-powered antenna, you can ignore all the stock wiring and just plug in the phono jack like bboykid10 said.

A lot of the stubby masts come with several thread sizes to screw onto most bases. The Hyundai/Kia base I used has an oddball size (7mm, I think it was), but most will be one of two or three thread pitches.
Old 01-03-17, 02:35 PM
super400
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
The 3rd brake light wiring is on the other side of the trunk and not at all related to the antenna. If you're going with a non-powered antenna, you can ignore all the stock wiring and just plug in the phono jack like bboykid10 said.

A lot of the stubby masts come with several thread sizes to screw onto most bases. The Hyundai/Kia base I used has an oddball size (7mm, I think it was), but most will be one of two or three thread pitches.
I knew it when through there somewhere but I could remember for sure. A quick eBay check only found the 90s version so this may have to be a junk yard find. Shame I don't have to many of those around here.
Old 01-03-17, 08:07 PM
bboykid10
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Originally Posted by super400
I knew it when through there somewhere but I could remember for sure. A quick eBay check only found the 90s version so this may have to be a junk yard find. Shame I don't have to many of those around here.
ebay dont have SQUAT!!! but yeah almost all of the ebay stubby antenna screws on. the picture i posted of the outside view had an adapter screw for an ebay stubby antenna. 5 bucks antenna > 75+ bucks oem antenna xD
Old 01-06-17, 02:44 PM
bboykid10
Driver School Candidate

Wink

Conclusion
Old 01-08-17, 09:26 AM
tsmith1315
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
I am with you .
As long as the antenna works good and you are using stock original radio system , it doesn't make sense to replace antenna if we are talking about functionality . Every antenna is tuned accordingly based on frequency , amplification and actual radio system features / capabilities. And when you are talking about AM frequency , all the more it matters a lot. It's height , how and where it is installed on your car , how your radio stations propagate their sound and others plays a role. Well, I guess my being an electronics engineer is getting me riled up here and am not discussing electronic principles here .. but for those who wants to, do your research more about antenna designs so you install the right antenna in your car if you are after functionality.
Here, Here!

Back when our SC's were introduced, there were only a couple of choices for a short antenna. Bosch made a helical wound model (the Autoflex) that was about 18" long, but contained a standard length element. They were expensive, worked well and no one bought them. The other was just a short flexible rubber mast that wasn't compensated in any way and stunk as an antenna, we called them "rubber duck" antennas. They sold like hotcakes then, and still do. If I didn't mention it before, they stink. I get riled up, too...

Just for a little clarification here, a standard monopole car antenna is about 30" long. That corresponds to ¼ wavelength at the frequency in the center of the FM band. Ideally, the antenna would be a little shorter or longer for ¼ wave operation at FM frequencies above or below that. If the Lexus power antenna changed the mast length based on station frequency, that's fantastic and I'm eternally pissed at my car's previous owner for replacing it with a rubber duck. Beyond that, you can't just shorten the mast without compensating with element design, electronics, or both. And neither are as good as an antenna of proper length.

Be aware- these stubby masts that are sold separately and screw on to your existing mount obviously have no active electronic compensation, so unless they have used element design and/or passive compensation, they may not work well. But they do look good.

-Tim
Old 01-08-17, 09:46 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by tsmith1315
Here, Here!

Back when our SC's were introduced, there were only a couple of choices for a short antenna. Bosch made a helical wound model (the Autoflex) that was about 18" long, but contained a standard length element. They were expensive, worked well and no one bought them. The other was just a short flexible rubber mast that wasn't compensated in any way and stunk as an antenna, we called them "rubber duck" antennas. They sold like hotcakes then, and still do. If I didn't mention it before, they stink. I get riled up, too...
Funny you mention the Bosch Autoflex...it is similar to what Lexus dealers would install on the rear window if the first owner sprung for the optional car phone.

Also, you need to find yourself a factory power antenna motor/mast...the radio just doesn't sound the same without it.

Quick Reply: (another) direct fit stubbed antenna for sc300/sc400